DirectStream

@Frode If it can compete with other brands costing $6k, well then the pricing is resonable.Cost price does not matter.

Emotiva.com

Emotiva probably have another business strategy (less contribution margin) and that is how they decide to sell their products. Please remember that the market price also covers R&D cost and expences for sustaining the product.

Is a SACD player outputting ā€œrawā€ DSD? If so, does the DirectStream handle it as such?

You must have not read deep enough, watch the video of their new XMC-1, there was plenty of R&D, that is going to be one hell of a processor, for a hell of a good price. Just look what is going to be in it. Donā€™t get me wrong, I like PS Audio or I wouldnā€™t have their PWD, and the P-10 in my system. I just think IMO the Directstream is pricey, but then again, no ones making me buy it are they. : )

@mikedc

SACD players don't output DSD.  The DirectStream handles DoP (DSD over PCM) on all inputs and a raw DSD signal (clock, a left sample and a right sample) over the "I2S" inputs.  At this point the only thing I know that outputs raw DSD over the PS Audio I2S/HDMI interface is the PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter.
You must have not read deep enough, watch the video of their new XMC-1, there was plenty of R&D, that is going to be one hell of a processor, for a hell of a good price. Just look what is going to be in it. Don't get me wrong, I like PS Audio or I wouldn't have their PWD, and the P-10 in my system. I just think IMO the Directstream is pricey, but then again, no ones making me buy it are they. : )

Fair enough, but if I am not much mistaken Emotiva also makes audio electronics for other known brands and thus gets income from this. So their revenue might not be so sensitive for their own margins. I am just saying that there are many strategies out there.

dave03hd said: especially since no ones even heard it yet

ā€¦just some guy who lives on a farm in Ohio... :-h

dave03hd said: Not to poo poo on the parade here but, for $6000 this thing better wash my face, and take the dog's for a walk.

I would add to that list, "make coffee," just a personal favorite. :D I get what you mean: It better sound pretty good for $6K! Since my audiophile vocabulary fails me in describing my afternoon with the DirectStream, allow me to use another analogy and please don't read too many fine points into this comment. It is just supposed to get across the general sense of the difference between the PWD MkII and the DirectStream DAC.

Remember the first time that you saw HD television? I sure do (and I could care less about television) and I immediately saw that it was considerably better than the "standard" TV of the time. Currently there is a new level of "super" HD TV (Sony?). I don't know what it is called but it, too, is clearly better than the original HD, if not as shockingly different than what the quality of standard TV to HD was. This is the essence of the comparison between these two DACs. I could put one tired audiophile euphemism after another and in no way convey what I intend. Sorry, it's probably just me, in the end, but I hope that this helps to get my point across.

I, too, love my PWD but it is "toast" beside the DirectStream. There was no debate about offering Paul some cash to buy one on the day that I heard it.

I have used this analogy in other contexts a number of times and find it helpful, as well as a fair description.

High end audio has always been a pursuit of diminishing returns. $6,000 for a DAC is approaching exotica territory and it needs to be extremely impressive at this price point.

Whether the yuck/buck ratio is high enough is an entirely personal call. For me, on a dollar per hour basis it is exceedingly cheap in reference to my other interests. X_X

@elk @wglenn

HDTV and, of course, good BluRay may be good analogies even though I have not yet heard the DS in comparison to my PWD MKII. I am most pleased with my PWDMII, but based on being a long term customer of PS Audio, I will not be surprised if indeed the new DS will blow the PWD out of the water when I can manage to get one in my system. I canā€™t wait, but I guess that I will have to. Ha! So far I have not been able to place my order to part with my hard earned money on the DS until either PS Audio gets back to my phone messages and e-mails begging them for a DS or they get the ordering process up on their website. Needless to say I want a DS bad! :-((

Price is all relative - for some 6K would be a screaming bargain. I reserve judgement until I hear one. I can do a double blind test with this - Iā€™ll run the MSB Signature Plus and Directstream into two different inputs on my ARC preamp and ask my kiddo to switch inputs. Iā€™ll use identtical powercables and interconnects and level match volume. MSB will be fed from my fully tricked out battery powered caps 3.0 and the directstream will play the exact same track from my old caps 2.0. This should be fun.

Now that sounds like a true A TO B setup. May I ask what clock you have in the msb ?

And can you send me a link to the CAPS please .

And I agree with price is relative as well.

Al

I use the Femto clock (not the galaxy). I use a custom version of the CPAS 3.0 zuma in a streacom 10 chassis with a blu ray drive and a Lynx AES16e card for multi channel (in addition to SotM 2 channel USB).

Wow does that sound complex. Lipo or fe batteries . I have read conflicting info on PSU some say batteries is best , Steve N says PSU is faster. I think the batteries just seem like a better way to go.

Now your setup is for multichannel correct ?

Al

edorr said: This should be fun.

Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!

Letā€™s keep in mind that the dac edorr has is about 5 times the price alone without all the goodies he has there. He is the big dog here. LOL.

Al

It is hybrid MCH - 2 channel. I am currently running MCH through a Trinnov processor, but my intent is to start using Dirac live for DRC, take out the Trinnov and run the MCH outputs straight into a stack of 3 x 2 channel DACs. I will use MSB for mains and NAD m51 for center / surrounds. If the Directstream beats the MSB +/- 5%, I will consider getting three Direcstreams for my MCH setup, provided I can get the volume control to synch between the three DACs OR using Jriver volume control for MCH proves to be up to the task (i.e. no degradation).

Price is all relative - for some 6K would be a screaming bargain. I reserve judgement until I hear one. I can do a double blind test with this - I'll run the MSB Signature Plus and Directstream into two different inputs on my ARC preamp and ask my kiddo to switch inputs. I'll use identtical powercables and interconnects and level match volume. MSB will be fed from my fully tricked out battery powered caps 3.0 and the directstream will play the exact same track from my old caps 2.0. This should be fun.

I'll use my $6K SACD player to compare to the $6k DirectStream with different inputs to my ARC preamp using the same music and level match the best that I can. Also long term listening to each product is telling, at least to my ears and how I usually evaluate a product.

And have $$$ left over for more toys.

Al

So edorr you do not have a UMT plus then ?

Al

No. I am on the fence about the UMT plus. If I use the UMT plus, I cannot use Dirac live DRC, and would have to keep my outboard Trinnov processor. I was actually looking into the Blue Smoke USB / I2S Pro converter as an alternative to the UMT I2S pro output. However, it is pricey and will be worthless in less than 2 years in my estimation, so Iā€™ll probably avoid it.

In addition to the CAPS 3.0, I am using the Modded Oppo 103 with Vanity Board (MCH digital coax out). I also have a Vanity modded 93 to play Blu Ray ISO rips. Iā€™m still trying to figure out final configuration for 2 channel / MCH.

I may revisit my entire 2 channel / MCH setup, depending on how the directstream works out.

I can add this. The UMT plus does not and never will do dsd 128. Can you Imagine a new product promissed to do gapless and dsd128. And it is now official it will not. Now msb blames oppo and oppo does not care. I am told of a new product later this year to accomplish what is missing . I can only hope for an upgrade . And the UMT plus apps works very well with no CPU . Anyway you seem really knowledgeable with complex audio setups. That is good for you .

As this stuf is very overwhelming and the more I read and learn the more I realize I need to know more.

Itā€™s not the money itā€™s the time to get there .

Al