DirectStream

Sorry if this is a silly question. But, SACD’s haven’t been playable for the PS Audio DAC / Transport combination. The SACD’s now be playable on this new setup?

Sorry but no. There are problems with the Sony/Philips SACD licensing restrictions that make it virtually impossible (there are also technical issues with the type of transport required for SACD). If you have the right old Sony PS3 (with the right firmware) it may be possible to rip SACD’s to hard drive and/or DVD data discs as DSD files that can play on the PWD.

I have two units. And the process is pretty easy once it’s setup . I did about 100 of my own collection for myself. They are available on the internet as well to buy. It allows me to play them on all my equipment .

The concept of the sacd was copy guard . I have paid for all my music so it’s just a hassle to own it and not be able to use it where and how you want.

Al

Al, could you please elaborate on which Play Station(s) and firmwares work? (I’m not even sure I was right that it’s a PS3.) I only have a dozen or so SACDs so it probably does not make sense for me (and some of those may eventually be released as DSD files as Sony is now supporting high res).

Pm me please and I will give you info .

Al

I read that the Direct Stream will “transfer” all pcm files to DSD. How will this impact 24/192, 24/96, 24/88, and 24/176 hi-res pcm files? Will they (the hi-res pcm files) sound even better once transferred to DSD? How so?

timequest said: How so?

Why not? ;)

@Alekz… I don’t have enough of an understanding of the two formats to know, but I have read that the bit depth and sample rates are different with media formatted to DSD…?? Even an uneducated question - a “yes, or no” question at that - deserves a simple yes or no. >:)

OK, then: Yes :wink:

To the extent PCM files sound better on this new machine after converted to PCM, high resolution files sound sound better than 44/16 PCM.

I have couched this vaguely as I have not heard DirectStream, but accept on faith that the transcoding and D/A of the unit are indeed an improvement overall.

timequest said: I have read that the bit depth and sample rates are different with media formatted to DSD…??

I am not quite sure what you are getting at, but DSD has a bit depth of one bit with an extremely high sample rate. It is an entirely different animal than PCM.

It is sort of like translating English into Japanese. The languages work in a very different way and do not even share the same symbols.

@timequest: Oh, if you want an explanation, watch Ted’s videos and Paul’s presentation: https://www.youtube.com/user/sharanelani

I wonder why the transformer (as part of the kit) needs to be replaced, anyone have an Idea?

@erikm

Because it sounds better. Some others sounded worse. Paul thought it was worth trying and it was. Don’t ask if it would have sounded better in the PWD, I don’t know. But it sounds enough better that it was worth the hassles to deal with replacing the power supplies on the upgrade.

I’m so jonesin’ for my kit!!! I can’t wait!

I have read that the bit depth and sample rates are different with media formatted to DSD...??

I am not quite sure what you are getting at, but DSD has a bit depth of one bit with an extremely high sample rate. It is an entirely different animal than PCM.

My point exactly... And thus my question.... And having spend a considerable amount on hi-res PCM files, a valid question at that!!
I have read that the bit depth and sample rates are different with media formatted to DSD...??

@elk: I am not quite sure what you are getting at, but DSD has a bit depth of one bit with an extremely high sample rate. It is an entirely different animal than PCM.

My point exactly... And thus my question.... And having spend a considerable amount on hi-res PCM files, a valid question at that!!

Ben, the fact that you’re going from 24 bit PCM to 1 bit DSD does not mean that the DS is throwing bits away. They are two different ways of representing the analog wave form with high precision. Whatever information is in the PCM file should be preserved in the conversion process (which is just a step in getting back to analog). No reason to be concerned.

@timequest

Not that this is a rigorous argument but double rate DSD is twice that of 16 bits @ 176.4 or 4/3 of 24 bits @ 176.4

From a FR point of view double rate DSD has a signal to noise ratio of about 120dB (20 bits) to about 40kHz (depending on how the filtering is implemented.)

But the real point as stevem2 mentioned is that double rate DSD is a step to a simple conversion to analog. It allows a simple low pass filter to be used as the analog output stage. In the case of the DirectStream it’s a passive output filter.

I’ve got a significant number of hi-res files myself and I would be upset if the DirectStream didn’t do them justice.

timequest said: My point exactly... And thus my question....

I'm sorry; I read more into your question than you intended.

DirectStream will be able to play back your high resolution files. They will sound better than standard CD. You will not lose the benefit of having purchased higher fidelity files.

As a separate matter, DSD and PCM each have their proponents. Some will always claim converting all PCM to DSD is the cat's pajamas. Others will assert converting everything to PCM is the bee's knees.

Both will be right as long as the end result sounds wonderful.
I wonder why the transformer (as part of the kit) needs to be replaced, anyone have an Idea?

It's the power supply that needs to be replaced and the transformer is integral to the power supply. Remember Ted said in his video that the stability of the DCrail is paramount to the equivalent jitter budget. In DSD the output transistors are all on or all off so WHAT they put out must be stable.

--SSW