DirectStream

@rossop

You’ll keep your old bridge if you upgrade to the DirectStream.

A new bridge will come eventually and you’ll be able to use it with either the PWD or the DS.

Thanks Ted… you’re a Star!

Ted,

Will the USB connectivity be changed/ improved any ? Myself and a few others have had temp dropouts from time to time and sometimes it persists for extended periods…like mine returned for no apparent reason several days ago and is still out . Have no clue how to fix,it usually repairs itself at some point

@rogerdn

I really don’t know what kinds of problems people might have with the USB on the PWD. I don’t have one. I believe that the PWD uses an XMOS chip for it’s USB too, tho of an older generation.

If you are on Windows, do you have PSAudio-USBAudio2.0DriverLatest.zip? It’s at the top of http://www.psaudio.com/learn/faq6/

FWIW I have to reboot (power off, wait, power on) the DAC anytime the my laptop is rebooted. I don’t think that’s a uniform problem.

Thks Ted, Using OSX 10.6.8 so no driver is involved I would think. MIDI recognizes the PWD, rebooting everything, switching cables no help.

Does the CPU see the USB connection ?

Yes in MIDI.

Ok have you done a reinstall of Pwd firmware . If not pick an older one install it and then install the new one back. . It will only take a few minutes to do and may fix it.

Al

Now since this is a Mac we need someone who knows Mac here . Gordon where are you , hello

Al

At this point will try anything, tomorrow if time.

Gordon once had the same prob I believe but last time I checked was still out, but I’m guessing he is a bridge man so doesn’t use it much.

I gave up on the bridge a while back. And have no issues with the USB. Do you have another CPU to try ?

Al

No dsd . Only dsd over 176 PCM dop

Al

No more Macs, just my Mini. Don’t think trying a PC would be useful. Yes I gave up on bridge too in no small part due to dropouts.

The reason I said another PC is too see of the problem is related to the PC you are using. Also do you use a program to maximize the audio ?

Al

Don’t know what you mean by maximize the audio, will not play on JR MC, Pure Music, Decibel, even Pandora…nada.

"There’s only one thing that would justify the trouble and expense of playing DSD files: if they sounded better than PCM files. Why would they sound better? The answer may lie in the playback."

The Absolute Sound Feb, 2014

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/the-abcs-of-dsd-downloads/

@rossop…I’m glad you asked this instead of me! I’m thinking that this has been covered, but I just haven’t had time to scan all the posts in multiple threads…Is the Direct stream set up to stream from a server, or will it require the Bridge? (I think the answer is that it will require a Bridge). I also think the “old” Bridge version will suffice (we’ll include it in our DIY Direct Stream upgrade), and eventually there will be an updated Bridge to replace the “old” version…Is this correct???

Hey Ted,

Do you anticipate a significant “burn in” period for new DS owners?

@stereophilus

I tried to minimize burn-in, but that’s just based on some half baked theories I have.

Truthfully, I don’t think you’ll be too worried about burn-in when you first listen.