DirectStream

tedsmith said: I tried to minimize burn-in, but that's just based on some half baked theories I have.

A bit of burn-in time and those theories will be fully baked and ready to go.

@elk

"A bit of burn-in time and those theories will be fully baked and ready to go." :slight_smile:

I realized the potential pun an hour or so after I posted :slight_smile:

@ted: I guess that it had to stew for a while. :smiley:

I feel sorry for Ted, this forum can be a pressure cooker at times… :stuck_out_tongue:

Ted,

Did you had time to A/B your prototype board with the DS and what where the results?

Sorry, a little after I visited Gus and Paul heard it, the left power supply or the prototype cratered. (I’d made a mistake with the current sharing resistors.) Fixing it seemed like lower priority than getting the next boards done. Anyway the DirectStream boards sound reasonably close to the best of my memory (tho it’s taken a while to get here.) To me the biggest thing is do people’s feet tap when they are listening and similarly how much time do I want to spend listening each day. I listen to the new board a lot.

@timequest I posted before I found this: http://www.psaudio.com/forum/#/discussion/6532/directstream-and-bridge

not the first time and probably not the last.

The DSD will work out of the proverbial box. You just slide the Bridge you have into the slot on the back of the DAC, as you do now, and everything works. As far as the bridge is concerned nothing has changed.

I have a question for TED and/or Paul.

I am using JRMC on a Mac Mini and a long ethernetcable to PWD in my rig.

Works fine for now.

I was chatting with Troy and the question of DSD came up.

Are you guys streaming ISO, DSD.DOP etc from JRMC to the Bridge?

I ask because as far as I know JRMC only recodes via the USB or other non-Bridge outputs.

Any suggestions on how you are streaming at present?

@gordon not that i would have a practical experience, but minimserver should be able to stream DSD.DoP via UPNP to the bridge :slight_smile:

edit: again i’m answering to question not directed to me - sorry

@gordon

Tho I haven’t don’t it for a few releases of JRiver MC 19 (on Windows) you can set the parameters of the DLNA server to use DoP. JRiver will read .iso’s, .dff’s, etc. and you can play them. The initial pause before you hear data is ridiculous at about 20-30 seconds. I really don’t have any idea if the non-windows versions of JRiver MC work the same.

In JRiver MC on Windows the path to the DoP option is : Options, Media Network (on left), …Add or configure DLNA servers…, Advanced (at the bottom), the first check box is Bitstream DSD.

cool. yup, the option is there for DOP.

Does anyone know what file extensions it will then play “rolled in dope”.?

.ISO, DFF etc?

For me it’s with jriver 19 in playback there is a box to the right side bottom dsd over dop .

And the dac displays 24/176 .

Al

@ALRAINBOW

Cool.

Now all I need is a renderer that will play DOP.

COMING SOON, I HOPE. :-"

@ALRAINBOW
Cool.

I trust all your infrastructure has been prepared, inclusive of the xenon bottles for optimum listening endurance (I trust you followed the russians at The Olympics):
http://en.europeonline-magazine.eu/report-russian-athletes-boosted-with-xenon-gas_322184.html

@frode

Red Bull Gives You Wings. =))

hehehe

Red Bull originates in Thailand as Krating Daeng which translates to “Red Bull” of course.

When we used to pull all-nighters at Pataya Beach we sometimes cocktailed it with local rum.

Wide awake but with low common sense. Perfect!

@ALRAINBOW
Cool.

Gordon can I assume you would check this box in hopes of better SQ or is there some other reason for streaming DSD when the source file is PCM, or have I misunderstood something here?

cheers

@magicknow

Hi

It seems that by checking the DoP box, ISO, DFF files will be played in a DoP wrapper that the DirectStream understands.

The PWD cannot do this [ AFAIK] so since I am also preparing a folder of DSD and HI-RES “type” files, I am anxious to get my mitts on the new DAC.

My first impressions wil be based on any change or improvement with redbook PCM but later on I wish to compare the same file from higher resolution to taste if there is any obvious advantage to the larger files.

G

Gordon said: My first impressions wil be based on any change or improvement with redbook PCM but later on I wish to compare the same file from higher resolution to taste if there is any obvious advantage to the larger files.

Good plan.

I am particularly curious how the sound of 96/24 PCM and DSD compare.
Elk said: I am particularly curious how the sound of 96/24 PCM and DSD compare.

Me too but that will be a later and more challenging task.
Wanna visit Montreal?