DMP 3.07 firmware released

Oh, I see, thanks Jeff. I wasn’t sure if it was related or not, thought maybe if it worked for my DSD files it might help. Thanks for the correction!

That I do not know.? Don’t think they have got that far yet. Due for release late 2019.

1 Like

Thanks for checking :slight_smile: I will try with other SACD and also install old firmwares… It works in the past… Don’t know what happened :frowning:

Received my 3.07 from PS today. Installed/initialized quickly, runs flawlessly, sounds great.

1 Like

Thanks, Mark!

Beware, I was told by Customer service there is a bug in 3.07 and not to use it. Go back to 3.06 or another previous load until 3.08 releases.

Paul? Is there a bug?

What’s the nature of this bug? I just ordered it, curious they never notified me. Thanks

I was not given any specifics but was told it was best to drop back to a previous load. I myself have found many issue with 3.07 and I like others did not like the way it came out of the fw/load. the screen goes dark, flashes bright white than dark again for an extended period before finally beginning to initialize. The first time it happens it has you wondering if a fuse has blown or the device has been bricked!

I’m not sure what people have been told, but there isn’t any bug that makes 3.07 completely unsuitable. We got feedback that showed most people liked the experience they had with loading discs better on 3.06 than 3.07. This doesn’t make it a bug. Let me illustrate.

Windows, IOS, Android all appear to load very fast now when you start your computer/device, however, they only appear to. Once it appears they are loaded they are still loading all kinds of things in the background that are required to actually do anything. Try running an app or starting a program right on boot and it will take orders of magnitude longer to start than if you tried to start that same program or app after your device had been on for a while. People seem to like this approach as it gives them an illusion of things loading faster.

Now back to the DMP. 3.07 gave people the illusion it was taking longer to load their disc, but actually what was happening is we were leaving the reading icon on the DMP until everything was 100% ready including trying to get artwork and metadata from the internet. This allowed us to make sure we had the most accurate information possible when the disc was done ‘reading’, but kept the reading icon on the screen for another several seconds ( or longer if there were errors getting data). This made it seem like it read forever for some people. The reality is in 90% of those cases the time from inserting the disc to playing music should be the same from 3.06 to 3.07, but the illusion was it was longer because of the time the reading screen was up.

I’m not sure where this ‘internal memo’ got started, but for as long as I have worked at PS Audio I’ve never seen one of these memos… Mainly because Paul and co are so transparent to our customers. 3.07 isn’t terribly broken, if you like 3.07 use it. Some people didn’t like some changes so we are adjusting again to try to make the majority of users happy. 3.08 will have further improvements and take feedback from 3.07 into consideration to keep moving towards a firmware the majority like. If you like a step along the way the best then by all means stay there.

Thanks for all the support and I’m hoping we get to a great place together!

Regards,
Matt

3 Likes

Thanks Matt. I’m very happy with 3.07. Sounds and works great for me.

Matt, I want you to understand that I would not have mentioned a bug unless that was the word that was used to me. I do not want to point fingers and name names. I was just sharing what I had been told. As far as the load time it takes 12 seconds before I can get any input into the DMP to get any music to play. Than at times it plays 1 second pauses for a second and plays on. i also get a splash when I hit stop to eject a disk. I was getting the ability to start music at 4 seconds with 3.06. I do not for the life of me understand why my DMP has so many issues with the same software that other DMP users are happy with. I am getting one click when an SACD starts up with 3.06 but 3 or so with 3.07. I also hear a tick every time I select a track on an SACD. I do know that all of this has nothing to do with how I download and create my SD cards. I have had great results with updating the firmware for the Directstream DAC. I too hope we get to a happy place with the DMP at some point. It has been a mixed blessing since I got it sounding great operationally not so. I miss my PWT!

Interresting story, thought I try 3.07 one more time with the knowledge of what you wrote.
With my DMP reading time for a lot of cd’s with 3.07 never ends, not for all but a lot. Reading your story the problem is that the metadata / artwork is not 100% available for my cd’s??? When I play a cd that is already in my playlist, with songtitles and cover, does it look there for information??? I tried Johnny Cash with American recording 3 that album plays on my DMP with 3.07 so is the new one by Pineapple Thief. Tried DSD Stevie Ray Vaughan in step that also plays well. Opeth with Damnation reading for minutes and minutes waited 15 minures or so didn’t stop reading. When I press play time bar is running but no music. No bandname and no songtitle /cover. Internetconnection is 100% With 3.06 reading time 4 seconds and music.
Gary Moore with Still got the blues, reading it stays reading no music with 3.07. So is Rush with moving pictures. All discdata on my 3.06 and 3.07 SD card are the same. Back to 3.06 a few seconds reading and the music is sounding with all 3.07 problem cd’s.

Ronald

1 Like

I don’t know who told you that but it is incorrect. 3.07 is not some ticking time bomb or whatever’s been described. It is not a final release and even when I released I said it has a number of improvements but still needs work. That has not changed.

Who in customer service told you not to use it?

1 Like

As I said, there is no “bug” and I am not sure how this got started. I would be surprised if the customer service people actually meant to say that.

1 Like

Yeah. Like Matt said! Thanks for chiming in Matt.

As I said Paul I don’t want to name names and point fingers.

You can email me directly. I am not trying to get anyone in trouble just trying to keep everyone on the same page.

Matt I tried to jump the gun when the reading screen was up I pressed track 2 on the remote it did go to the first screen but started to play track one. That is like shooting in the dark. It is better with 3.06 to see what is happening and than decide if you want to attempt to play the disk before the downloading is complete. Many times It still goes to the server for the info even when the cover art and track list already reside on the SD card. When that happens it corrupts the cover art and displays the PS audio logo. If you want to see the cover art you must reload the disk. The second time it will pull up the correct art!

Hi Ronald,

I’ll need to talk to the developer Monday and see exactly how he implemented it, but it probably has something to do with metadata requests on the internet not coming back as expected. Out of curiosity do you get album art on the discs that have infinite load time when using 3.06?

Matt