DMP 3.07 firmware released

Yesterday after playing music via the USB port and then a DVD disc I totally lost cover art both on the playlist and on the DMP. Then when I rebooted the DMP with the switch on the rear of the unit all was remidied.

Hi sixpack,

Some of the issues you describe others have seen too. When I get back in the office tomorrow I will work with the guys I have assigned to this and make sure we are addressing the issues you describe. If your unit is in fact behaving different we can get to the bottom of that too.

Regards,
Matt

Matt,

No, Opeth no cover or songtitles with 3.06. Stranglers yes both but only when the disc is loaded a few times. Rush with moving pictures no of both and Gary Moore also no titles and cover. Still got the blues. Cover and songtitles, sometimes it works with a cd and the next time playing the same cd it doesn’t work. Only after a few times loading or the cover comes when song number 4 is playing. However some cd’s never give any problems. But i’m used to it, most important is the music. Music without a cover is better then no music at all
I think it’s better to let the cd quickly play and when song number 1 is playing all the data / cover is coming on the screen. Don’t know when a cd is not in the personal ps audio playlist, do you get a cover and / or songtitles?? Sometimes when I look at my playlist, it looks likes I didn’t play a cd but in reality I did. That issue is with all the software versions. When a cover doesn’t appear is not the most important thing. Good sounding music is number 1. And that is not possible for me with 3.07. That’s why 3.06 is doing the business at the moment for me. Last thing, for example The Stranglers Rattus Norvegicus album is also on or in my datadisc file.The SD card containing the album picture and songtitles is always connected with the DMP, SD card OK , but most of the time no songtitles and cover picture of that album.

Ronald

I don’t want to sidetrack this discussion, and didn’t want to start a new thread, but I have a simple question.
Will a highrez file on a USB stick played thru the DSMP sound as good as my cd’s?
Thanks

This question is for Matt or Paul or Ted…
Each firmware update has given me better sound quality although that didn’t seem to be one of the design goals for that particular update.
Question is: If all the functionality for song titles, cover art, etc were removed from the firmware, would that have a positive impact on sq? If yes, would it be possible to have two versions with one version for those who would be happy with nothing more than the track number or just the simplest screen display?
Thanks

6 Likes

Thanks Matt. I appreciate the efforts that you and the team are making to get this right. I have to believe at some point you will.

I do recall Paul commenting on this a few months back and in short, his answer was, “no.” That USB port was meant as a convenience feature but does not compare in SQ to optical disk playback.

That’s why I burn mine to disc and play them. I generally use a cheap Sony or Verbatim disc to be sure the disc sounds Good then reburn on a MAM-A gold disc for keeps.

1 Like

Thank you Matt for your comments which are very helpful to understand what’s going on in the skunkworks.

Like others I could care less about art work on the screen either. Can’t see it across the room anyway. Curiosity would be agreed - at the final firmware a version without the coding for the artwork etc in the firmware to see if any improvements in audio quality.

Like RonP, My view is the less (or any for that matter) components connected to the net in my system the better things sound.

I disconnected my P10s years ago and never looked back and so since the days of the PWT/PWD have never had anything with net connection or WiFi anywhere near the system.

1 Like

“…since the days of the PWT/PWD have never had anything with net connection or WiFi anywhere near the system.”

I am the same as you, Richard. I can easily hear the improvements musically by disconnecting all the noisy computer paraphernalia from my HiFi equipment.

I, too, have no time for the artwork, etc.

2 Likes

Thanks Jeff,

-And USB input on the DSD is superior to the bridge II. Right?

-Just trying to get the SQ hierarchy in order.

-John

:+1::+1:

On the same page Dirk

1 Like

Most certainly.

Thanks, Jeff

I’m going to try a microrendu and Roon.

It’s a good question and one I don’t have an answer for, but worth thinking about. Maybe when we have some time we could take a look, but I doubt we’d release it as a separate version. It’s difficult enough to keep one version current and everyone happy with it. :slight_smile: But this is a good question for our own learning.

2 Likes

Ummm, no, I don’t think that’s what I would have wanted to say. While it is true it is a convenience port and we never intended it to be used for big libraries, I wouldn’t want you to think it doesn’t sound good. It does. It uses the same processing and Digital Lens function as do discs so I should think it will sound great. It does on the few high Rez files I use on a stick.

1 Like

Didn’t mean to take you out of context Paul so thanks for chiming in.

But, I don’t think the question was centered around whether or not front USB port payback sounds good. It definitely sounds good. The questions was, “will it sound as good?” Like others on this forum who have commented prior, I do not believe it sounds as good as disk playback - everything else equal. Just my opinion.

So maybe build an option to turn the album art off?

That’s fine and thanks. To be honest I appreciate the feedback because I’ve not done an AB between the two.

That is already there. look in settings