DMP 3.07 firmware released

John - (maybe more than you were asking…apologies in advance ; )

I sorta waited on this one, as a lot of seemingly simple questions can be harder to answer definitively than one would think.

You used the term “cd’s” when asking a highres-comparison question. You may have intended to include SACD in that, or generically meant “Redbook, or…disc of any sort”. Lots of Redbook CDs sound as good or near-as-dammit to “the SACD version” on the DMP, so that many of us don’t have to worry about it anymore. One of the awesome bits about the unit is that it got us off the codec/format merry-go-round to some extent.

Admittedly, it does involve finding and putting physical discs in a Player, but I found that I was able to rediscover my CD collection as a result, and that the search for, and playing of them is more like playing albums, which I enjoy. I had digitized all of the CDs that I owned at the time around 17 years ago, and primarily listened to them via servers ever since, so I’m not a Luddite in that regard. However, I didn’t forsake vinyl. I fully enjoy both analog and digital formats and gear. I don’t exactly understand those who seem to feel you have to Choose a Side. It’s All Good : )

The bonus with the DMP was that it plays all my SACDs as well, which previously required a separate Sony or Oppo player with cheap internal DAC. Kind of ironic calling it a “bonus”, as originally, the aim of the DMP was to make an SACD-capable player that connects digitally via I2S to an external DAC. The actual Bonus was that well-recorded and Mastered CDs turned out to be better-sounding than I (and many other hirez fans) had given them credit for.

My experience/philosophy is that it is important to compare known things - e.g. a 24/96 file download ripped to a drive, which was then also ripped to DVD-ROM. In that instance, the disc seems to shine over the thumb drive, despite them being the “same” file, and going through the same processing. Importantly - there is no question that they are the same version/mastering/resolution, etc. USB, as it turns out, is fraught with issues as a digital-delivery method.

If you were asking, "will my hirez download of the album I have on Redbook CD sound better on the thumb drive via the USB input vs. the CD played on the disc drive”…there are so many potential variables in there that it can’t be a meaningful comparison.

The experience a lot of us have had is that with the SAME file, the disc has the edge over the USB input. We have pondered and philosophized over this in the past. And to a certain extent, this is one of those, “Which is the ABSOLUTE BEST way to listen to my music?” questions. Which can be fraught, as was/is MQA, in much the same way.

Hi wood it’s on there now. I have mine turned off since I received it new.

The question is if it’s not in the code to begin with. But I get Paul’s point.

Thanks, Beef
I think I understand. I personally enjoy all of my sources and formats, but convenience counts a lot, especially late at night when I’m usually a tired old man. Partly because of your comments and those of others on this forum, I’m going to try streaming with a microrendu to the USB port on DSD. However, when I really want quality sound, I agree that the DSMP can’t be bettered.
-Great post and I hope Colorado is working out for you.

Thanks - not moving until the 15th, and I’m tired, too ; )

Well dang. Guess I should look. Thank you for the heads up!

When you move to CO and start a new chapter, please consider changing your moniker to GoodBeef. Many thanks for your thoughtful and very informative contributions.
One more note, put that camera up in the speaker assembly area!
Chas

1 Like

How about “Bad kale”?

1 Like

Most excellent point Mr. Beef

I’m just as guilty missing stuff. I just happened to have caught this one.

:+1::+1:

So just now, for the first time since updating to 3.07 the day it came out, an SACD is reading “PCM” @ “88.2k/24 bits” on both the DMP and DS displays.

Tried a different SACD next that had worked perfectly a few days ago and it too reads as PCM 88.2/24.

All my SACD’s had played perfectly with 3.07 until now and now it appears none of them do.

I guess I’ll try reloading the f/w again and see what happens.

Reloading the f/w restored DSD playback to the DMP and DS.

Unfortunately, I decided to reboot the DS too and it came back to life with its display having lost 90% of its color to a very pale white-ish blue. Several reboots and reloading the Redcloud f/w have done nothing to get the color back to my DS display.

It’s maddening to fix one problem only to thereby create a new problem. Grrrrrr!

My display has turned completely white, and the player is unresponsive. Maybe 3.07 does have a bug in it.

Just a thought, up until yesterday I hadn’t experienced any significant issues as per the reporting when playback of CDs or SACDs using 3.06.
Yesterday I tried to play some (hi-res) tracks on a USB stick. They didn’t play very well so I thought not to worry.
Last night when playing CDs almost every CD exhibits ‘splash’ on load. Some not picking up album art.
I rebooted the DMP (back power switch off). Still have the splash issue.
Could it be that using the USB can somehow corrupt the loaded f/w?

No, that is likely something else. Let me get you some help, Should be an easy fix.

I do not like hearing others are having problems with 3.07 but it is comforting to know that I am not alone in this!

Does anyone else have to tap the eject icon on the screen twice…to eject a disk or to play a disk?

Yes, I have to do that too. I also encounter other problems operationally with SACDs but not with Redbook disks… Paul told me they will all be addressed in the next release… Time will tell !!

1 Like

yes, every time. That is annoying.

Yes that is just another one for the list. I thought it was me!

Try unplugging the I2S cable and try again.

1 Like

OK, thanks for the suggestion.