DMP 3.07 firmware released

In general I agree but in this case the dmp which I own along with the dac and preamp has been an ongoing problem for way too long. I am actually a fan of ps audio but this is intolerable for a 6k product. Saying it sounds good with limited functuality would be like saying a tv looked good but didn’t function properly and NOBODY would tolerate that

1 Like

I don’t know why customers in the US who have problematic DMP just don’t get them RMA’d, return them, and just say “send it back to me when it’s fixed”.

Actually I have already sent mine back once and had it replaced. Until they get the software fixed it is better to have something than nothing sending it back accomplishes nothing

Don’t essentially disagree with your statement…but…

Love you bud, and value your input (Not kidding. Full stop), but your posts in particular represent a significantly disproportionate percentage of the critical posts since the beta started, taken on a per capita basis. And this is despite your not being willing to send your unit back to PS, and it being under your bed much of the time. You have mentioned that it is due to the cost of shipping, yet you have multiple alternatives at multiples of the cost of the DMP. Forgive me if I’m confusing you with someone else.

The other side of this is that those who A) Never post are not heard, either way, and B) those who haven’t had significant issues (whether they post regularly or not) do not feel compelled to post aside from, the odd “works OK for me”. What else is there to say? If you have issues, one posts about them in gruesome detail as in a beta. If you have few or none…silence.

1 Like

BB
If forums didn’t exist would the issues be addressed? That’s sarcasm. They would, but probably not as quickly.
Forums outside of this one don’t necessarily praise the DMP. The Directstream (Jnr or Snr) rountinely get “marked down” on their sonic properties & musicality compared to peer equipment, especially outside of the continental USA where PS Audio is competing in a different $$ segment. Overseas, customers don’t get offered the same discounting/trade-ins. Also, overseas we often do not have ready access to a level of service that you do in continental USA.

1 Like

Not necessarily following, Frank. I suppose there may be forums that have only happy things to say about the products the owner/forum members post about. And I recognize that this device - as I have said on multiple occasions - has serious functionality issues. Early on, I decided the SQ outweighed those issues, and proceeded to enjoy it as I would/do vinyl. Put a record on, get it playing, and don’t fret over it.

In a way, it reminds me of a political discussion I got into the other week, (bear with me here) wherein I took the side (despite us both being aligned politically) against the way in which a particular thing was portrayed (a magazine cover). Every single thing we see is slanted toward the viewpoint being presented. E.g., pick a “Controversy” (other than the Prince song - better not be any disagreement about that : ) …every purveyor of information chooses a photo of the individual who is the subject of the article, and in one outlet they will choose a photo where - with regard to the same news item - they look happy and confident, whereas the other will show them looking petulant/frowning, regarding the same story. And that’s just the photo accompanying the story, before anyone even reads the stories.

So, sorta saying, my concern with regard to forums is that if I just joined, I would have no idea if the views presented were proportionally representative of all owners or not. Admittedly it seems to have been something of a crapshoot. But those without issues, or with relaxed attitudes/sound trumps function, have been enjoying the hell out this crazy thing.

3 Likes

I have known quite a few Harley Davidson owners over the years who swear by the enjoyment factor of owning and riding these great steel horses.I have spent some time on a few myself with a fun factor through the roof!!! They were also known for reliability problems…just like the DMP…but…after all is said and done…it was all about the fun ride (in our case…sound quality).

The DMP reminds me of the ride(sound quality) but unfortunately the functionality issues as well(oil leaking,breaking down,electrical problems,hard to kick start…etc;) that plague us at the moment. I am confident Paul and company will turn our problematic machine into a butterfly with wings ready to show the world the beauty within…It will come…but like any great meal…it takes a bit of time to cook up properly.But when it’s ready it’ll be… Um,Um Good!!!

As I predicted, you will never succeed in extracting yourself from the pull of the forum.

1 Like

Well, I should be on Harmony of the Seas sailing out of Port Everglades today, but I’m not. So I’m grumpy and need something to grizzle about.

1 Like

The DMP sounds so good and so much better than any other source that I put up with the issues in hope they will eventually get resolved. It is the best sounding source I have ever had in my system and easily exceeds my exceptional turntable, tonearm, cartridge and NPC. As well as any other digital source. It takes the Directstream DAC to the highest level!

1 Like

Or the ownership of a vintage British sports car.
:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks Wood. I combined the elements of your procedure with Jeremy’s advice to let it rest for at least an hour and the screen came back in full living color!

Thanks so much for your help.

3 Likes

That is great news so happy that you did not have to send it in! It is very scary that it did this in the first place!

1 Like

Glad you were able to fix your’s. I tried everything, but to no avail.

I feel your pain.

Your floor is decorated similar to mine…or rather, how mine used to look. Not any more. A server solved that problem.

1 Like

I’m not a complete technophobe, but I have very little tolerance for monkeying around with computers and or server glitches, while trying to enjoy music. That’s why I went with a high-end transport. Plop a CD in the tray and hit play, is all I want to deal with.
My stereo room is the only place I’ll tolerate such disarray.

5 Likes

My server takes zero monkeying around to work flawlessly. My DMP is the opposite of that.

1 Like

The DMP may require some finagling but the sound quality is worth the pain. The server may be convenient but it will not sound as good!

1 Like

That was the other reason I decided to go with the DMP and DSD, sound quality. But I’m still on the fence about the SQ. For one, because my previous CD player had a tube output stage, I don’t think I can get there without adding a good tube preamp, like the BHK. And, the same day the DMP went on the blink, things were not sounding right, and I don’t know for sure if it’s related to the issue I’m now having with the DMP’s screen, or perhaps because the DSD still has a little ways to go before being fully broken-in.