DMP 3.07 firmware released

“” …….I don’t know for sure if it’s related to the issue I’m now having with the DMP’s screen, or perhaps because the DSD still has a little ways to go before being fully broken-in.""

There is a good chance any drop in sound quality is to do with the screen when one considers how the sound quality continues to improve with each firmware release/debugging of the DMP.

I don’t know if you have tried this, but if I had the white screen problem:
Switch the DMP off at the rear then pull out the mains lead and disconnect “all” other cables from the DMP. Give the DMP a full days rest then reinstall “only” the mains cable and load up 2.08 firmware - plus a couple of reboots.
If the screen is still white you will have to return it to PSA.

…I am only guessing but it’s quite possible the DMP needs to be powered down for hours allowing all power supplies to fully discharge…

1 Like

Good to see you’ve returned to the fold! I missed your upbeat persona :wink:

(I am currently in the Balearic Islands and just looked in to see what’s occurring…)

2 Likes

The DMP must have allot of capacitance in the power supply as you do hear the bong sound when you power it up. ( the surge filling up the capacitors) I could see why it would take a long period for them to discharge.

I drive my power amp directly with the Direcstream DAC connected with Kimber Hero XLR. The sound quality is amazing with a huge clearly defined soundstage with lots of space. I have plenty of gain and the quality is not lacking in any way. I subscribe fully to the theory that the only thing better that any preamp is no preamp.

1 Like

As I did too until I connected the BHK preamp to my BHK300 amplifiers. There’s a magic quality with the BHK preamp in situ that has to be heard to be fully appreciated, musicality of the highest order !

2 Likes

Lobster Stew!

A wonderful place to visit.

I did unplug everything from the DMP and let it sit for over 24 hrs, then tried to install 3.06, but haven’t tried 2.08.

The changes in SQ as things were breaking in, and now recently with the screen issue, have really been messing with my head, as I haven’t yet gotten a handle on the full capabilities of my new PS Audio gear. Add to that the many glitches I’ve encountered, and audiophile fatigue is starting to set in. At this point I don’t even want to step foot in my stereo room.

1 Like

Yes, Lobster Stew and a wide variety of fish courses to savour . I do like it here and visit regularly - plus, it’s a relatively short flight from Scotland!

2 Likes

Oh, not so good. I, too, have been in that place where your are just now - stuck in limbo. And: That’s the main reason why I seldom fettle now with my system, i.e. swapping out cables, tubes, fuses, system supports, etc, etc… It is fun to do until something goes tits up, and when that does happen, the previous setup prior to the change(s) was the best sounding and I wish I was back there!

Didn’t you swap out cables during the DS / DMP burn-in ? That’s just another thing to compound your situation… I always leave well alone until I am happy that the product has settled-in – or much more likely - that my brain has become accustomed with the new sound !!

You will have to send your DMP back to PSA.

1 Like

That’s sound advice Dirk…pun intended.
Interjecting another variable before things had settled in, just compounded the situation.

1 Like

I had the white screen when I was switching a cable in the back of DS and the power cable pulled out and I plugged back in. Uh oh white screen. What worked for me is entering into screen calibration mode with white screen and used the pencil eraser side for 4 corner step process. I then shut off main switch and unplugged for 1 day. I plugged in and turned main switch on. DS screen initialized came back on upside down and I recalibrated screen back to normal. Mind you before this I tried multiple times unplugging and waiting an hour or more with no luck.

Please keep your promises!

1 Like

I could not afford a $6000 linestage only preamp or the BHK250 or 300. I still feel that if a preamp alters the sound than it is not correct. I believe the DAC sounds so good as it does not use an active linestage to create the sound. Besides it requires introducing another set of interconnects into the chain. To each his own I am glad you are very happy with the sound you are getting with your system. I am very happy with mine!

1 Like

How were you able to enter the calibration mode with a white screen?

Loaded 3.0.7 fine. The only issues I’m having so far are that the touch screen seems less responsive than before and when a CD is over it still displays the last track, rather than the first.

1 Like

You turn off main switch. As you turn back on, hold the blue button in the front and it will go into calibration mode. Although it’s a white screen it will be in that mode and I started at the top left corner push with eraser side of pencil then moved to right then bottom right then bottom left. After that I shut it off and unplugged until next night. When I turned DS back on the screen started working but of course it was upside down so I did another calibration and all is good. It worked for me and I’m glad because I did not want to ship back to PSAudio. I hope it works for you.

1 Like

Thanks

I had the screen problem and no matter what I tried i could not get it to work properly so I was forced to get a replacement…it was frustrating but in this case customer service was first rate in helping me with it

Cheers, thanks for the info. Luckily for me my screen(s) are Ok but not so for Gary_M who has the white screen problem.

1 Like

Luckily I live within driving distance to PS Audio. Drove my DMP there yesterday to return it, and start the process of having a new one built. James wanted to check it out, so he plugged it in, and the blue screen magically appeared. I guess the DMP just needed to get out of the house and go for a little drive. PS Audio is still going to replace it, because the unit is less than a month old, but they were kind enough to let me take this one home, until the new one is built.

3 Likes