DMP 3.09 firmware released

Missing text, broken album art - the least of my problems with 3.09. More vexing for me with 3.09 is that for no apparent reason my DMP occasionally refuses to respond to any command, the music is playing but, the only way to stop the music is to flick off the rear switch & reboot whereupon the DMP will play fine for a day or two – but suddenly lock up again ?

Also: another quirk being an occasional loss of sound, usually on the first track, I can only regain sound (CD can be seen to playing) by reloading the CD.

The next release can’t come quick enough……. ‘’'then again !!!

And, at the risk of more smug attitudinizing, I really do like the sound with 3.09 in “MY” system — but functionality is still crap.

2 Likes

This morning the DMP with 3.09 became unresponsive to remote commands as has been reported by others.
This was after playing normally and changing a disk. No actions with the remote or screen were responded to.
Solution was reboot. If it happens again, I’ll reload 3.09 and see what happens.

You have my sympathies… I know PSA are doing their best but I am now experiencing more issues with 3.09 than from any of the earlier firmware releases…

1 Like

Hmmm—Happened again.
I replaced remote batteries; nothing.
I cursed at it; nothing.
I waited a while while I ate a banana; nope.
I pulled my ancient Cary cd player out and sat it next to the DMP while I reminded it that recalcitrance is not a virtue; nothing.
Reload 3.09; working fine.

What, 30 minutes later? Again. Loading 2.08, see what happens.

Yike. Exceedingly frustrating.

I’m not experiencing any difficulties but I’m considering going back to 3.06 feeling I may prefer the sound a bit. . . .

You spoke too soon! I hope your unit starts working properly again soon.

I loaded 2.08. Responds perfectly, both RB and SACD. Sounds great, albeit a beit less “airy”—maybe—I won’t swear by the sound difference.

So will more attempts be made by PS Audio to fix these issues, even though 3.09 was supposed to be the update that fixed ALL functional issues?

They will have to and I hope it appears sooner than later… This shouldn’t be happening and especially so this late in the game - considering this was supposed to be the final - or maybe it was the penultimate release, but even so this is a bad situation…

2 Likes

3.09 was never claimed or intended as a fix for all functional issues.

Okay maybe not ALL, but most.

" PaulCEO PS Audio

10d

As promised download the latest upgrade for DMP users. 3.09 is a major upgrade that solves most of the issues we’ve been waiting for."

Correct @Brodric but Paul did say it was almost done. Perhaps a little premature.

I see @Gary_M beat me to it.

After 2.08 most of today, I retried 3.09 and all good so far.

Been using 3.09 for a few days and had to go back to 3.07 as after playing a few red book CDs, it will not play DSD files or SACDs without converting them to PCM first. It will go back to normal after a reboot but this is a major issue for me. Also 3.09 does not play data discs where the files are in a folder and once you insert a disc that it cannot play, it will freeze and you cannot get the disc out without a reboot. As for SQ, personally, I found 3.09 has lost a little warmth in my system. Still I enjoy the sound which is the main thing.

1 Like

3.09 averages out as a step sideways, certainly not a major upgrade. Some things work better, some things work worse or got broken, sounds better for some, sounds worse for others. Reminds me of a dog chasing its tail going around and around in circles and not really getting anywhere. Except perhaps, exhausted.

Paul says they are getting close. Not from where I’m standing. Things need to get fixed without breaking other things.

Not to stir the pot, but… Apparently Ralph Nader is “Ghost-Writing” a new book about the audiophile equivalent of the Corvair.

Title is not set in stone just yet…But…“Unsafe at ANY Disc” or “Unsafe at ANY Firmware”, are being tossed around.

Either way, the final chapter makes a clear case for a 100% product recall, and the manufacture’s full refund to the consumer.

Ralph has always been ahead of his time.

1 Like

I reloaded 3.09 and hours of playing later, putting it through it’s paces, it’s back to performing well.

2 Likes

I hope it lasts. Luckily I’m in the USA atm so my system is powered down but I’m obviously very interested in issues that are occurring with 3.09 over time… very weird how software can begin to malfunction after initially working.