DMP 3.09 firmware released

Never a problem updating the SD card.

Simple Instructions for whoever:

• Power down standby and rear switch
  • Eject from DMP
  • Download latest version from PS
  • Insert SD card into computer, select all, move to trash
  • Open Download folder, copy all, and paste into SD Card folder
  • Insert card, turn on Memory player from rear, slide unit in and let it do its cycle/load process

Findings:

Maybe it was said already, dunno:

Display:

• SACD dd not download art, and the full screen of date displays
  • Cover art showed up and displays the large track number - having the large track makes things easier on the eyes
  • Cut off on song and album

Sound:

• Initial listening does reveal it’s slightly brighter. The previous 3.08/7? did have a more warmer sound. I will do some more listing and see what happens, it could be me.

Yes. As an Esoteric owner I’m very happy with the product. But the price of entry is significantly more than DMP. And the Top Dog Esoteric SACD transport (Grandioso P1) in my market is $45K, compared to DMP which is about $8K i.e. almost 6 times the price. But, whatever you buy, at any price, it should work properly. Sadly, almost 2 years into the adventure, DMP is not there yet (but getting close).

I would not say brighter but more open and spacious.

3.09 is more open and spacious? My assessment of 3.06 is being more open and spacious than 3.09

I’m not too fussed at all about sound differences between 3.06 and 3.09, or any other version. My starting point, I just want all the features to work properly.

agree

The operation is more stable so far for me too.

It seems to happen when the track info is found but not the cover art.
In other cases (no track info found or cover art found), I get big track numbers.
Info posted to help out the ps development team.

Excellent. Yes, it is a busy weekend at RMAF. I have only the mornings if I get up early to answer email so if I am slow to respond forgive me. The show’s been jam packed and we’re playing Arnie Nudell’s personal reference system so people get a chance to enjoy this once in a lifetime event.

I am sorry for anyone making you feel unwanted here just because you don’t have a DMP. I trust that is a misunderstanding on the part of some members. Everyone is welcome here and encouraged to post and join in the forum. We’re like family and yes, we bicker amongst each other from time to time, but the spirit should always be one of welcoming. I personally enjoy your contributions and comments and I hope you stay around and continue to contribute.

1 Like

Paul
Can we have some definitive statements on SD card usage?
This is a major feature for the operation of PSA products yet gets very little in the way of consistent comments re usage. Certainly with my PWT - the SD card could totally freeze the unit if it was inserted at the wrong time.

1. Type - I’ve used 2GB SD cards based on the DMP user booklet. These are getting hard to find - price is a premium $10 each or more with no name manufacturers. 4, 8, 16 and 32 SDHC and SDXC cards are more reasonablely priced per GB - what are the limits of use for the DMP (and DSD) for card type and size?
  2. It is not always clear how to use these. You download the firmware. Do you
  • leave the card in and use it to store the CD info?
  • remove the card and store it and use a fresh card for the CD info?
    If the latter what size and type of SD card are needed and what are the limits. Does a 16GB card last for ever in terms of storage capacity or would a 32 or 64GB work better?
  1. And pardon my ignorance - do the DSD and the DMP both need cards for CD info or is the DSD just for the firmware?
  2. Do I need to leave the SD card inserted for it to function since from what has been said, the unit will reinstall the firmware each time the unit is powered.
    Some clarity for dummies would be much appreciated.

I am just heading out the door for the show. May I have a pass on this one? I will ask Matt or James to jump in on Monday.

Great
Enjoy the show

I downloaded and upgraded my DMP to v3.09 yesterday, no problems with the update process.

Last night I spent some “quality time” with my audio system and have the following observations:

1. No problems found loading, playing, selecting tracks, etc. with regular CDs. The sound seems to me to be improved (more “air” around the individual performers). Album art displays for nearly all the CDs I auditioned.

2. All the problems I experience were from playing SACDs.
    A. The DMP would be displaying DSD & SACD, while the DirectStream DAC would display PCM, which would correct itself shortly after pressing the “play” button (not a biggy for me).
    B. No album art for the SACDs I auditioned last night (also not a biggy for me).
    C. Small “popping” sound when a disk if first played (also not a biggy for me).
    D. On some SACDs it would display the track number properly, but the name displayed would be from another track, happened consistently on the Norah Jones “Come Away with Me” SACD.
    E. Occasional and intermittent momentary “blip” during the playback of an SACD (total loss of volume), not consistent in any way, happens on lots of SACDs, not ever with regular CDs.

I don’t used data disks or memory sticks with my DMP, just play CDs and SACDs I purchase.

This one’s for wrangler Elk…

3 Likes

I once again experienced the issue of the track number on the display not advancing as playback proceeds. It just indicates track # 1 unless I stop and restart the disc. Also the elapsed time bar at the bottom of the screen shows no sign of there being a disc playing at all.

This phenomenon has happened several times with different RB CD’s since installing 3.09.

Sounds like something sticky on your display :grinning:

After the initial craziness of having to load 2.08 to get 3.09 to install this version is working fine. It is difficult to discern changes in SQ because of my tendency to play music I haven’t heard in a long while. This set-up does an excellent job of reproducing music on data discs, generally LP rips that have been painstakingly “scrubbed” digitally.
Even taking account the frustrating aspects of the PWD/PWT and current DS DAC and DSMP, I have to give thanks to the PS Audio team for their product improvement model via the FW updates. Considering sound quality and versatility these products are a terrific audio value.

Time has revealed the SACD playback as PCM issue with 3.09. In my case I rebooted the DMP and than it went to DSD. My observation has been if I play a number of CD’s in a row than insert an SACD that is when this issue will surface. I guess it is back to the drawing board on this one.

The cover art issue and incorrect track name is most likely related to your playlist information. SACD’s do not display cover art on their own you must program them in your track list for it to come up on the DMP. The incorrect track list info is most likely from someone not programming the disk in their list and than sharing it with the community. You can edit that on your playlist.

A delightfully cute commercial, back when Superbowl advertising was fun.

I love the guy at the campfire with the lint brush.