DMP 3.10 released

So many of those outrageously expensive cables rely on Mumbo Jumbo! I can invest my money better than on magic!

2 Likes

Try pressing “1” on the remote instead.
I have found it to be much more reliable than pressing play.

“Transverse Axial Polarizer” (patent pending)

When I read those 3 words - it’s just the cynic in me thinking, now that’s why a 5ft cable with two XLRs is priced at thousands of dollars…!

That said, Brodric has top of the range equipment and he has the money - if the addition of a cable featuring “Transverse Axial Polarizer” improves his system then who are we to judge such folly. :grin: I would never do it. But each to their own.

2 Likes

I would never judge anyone for decisions they make regarding their system or how they spend their money. I simply state that In my situation I can get more significant improvements by spending my money on over priced interconnects. That is a personal choice.

1 Like

And I couldn’t agree more…

1 Like

my luck playing Blu-Ray’s and DVD’s has totally improved, now that i reinstalled 1.94…tried 3.06 fw (the last to work DVD’s & Blu-Ray – the last to show the musical notes icon), but the site’s download for 3.06 might be corrupted since it didn’t like any DVD’s or BD’s and display allowed intermittent frustrating use…
this is on 2 different DSD units i own…

oh well…

Oh, I thought you were in the mumbo jumbo camp when it came to such things, no?

My next piece of mumbo jumbo should arrive tomorrow. I bought another Shunyata Research cable which I’m looking forward to compare against my Acrolink Mexcel cable. It also has one of those glass tube mumbo jumbo thingies pilfered from the Starship Enterprise.

Great stuff, Mr B. I do not judge. Read my posts from yesterday. Your money. :grin::grin:

“TAP Polarizer technology. TAP reduces electromagnetic polarization of the mind. Transverse Axial Polarizer. PDGVT pixy dust glass viewing tube technology. PCC psychotropic cable condition(patent pending)”.

1 Like

Makes the top flight PS Audio AC-12 power cables look very budget friendly in comparison! Things can seem to go a bit out-of-whack when the cable connecting something to something else costs as much as (or more than) the something or something else. The Grandioso mafia put me on to these brain polarizing glass tube Sigma thingies so I thought I’d check them out for myself. And the background of the company that invented and built them is military radar and electronics, so their magical pixie dust probably carries a mil-spec number to give it some audio cred.

I’m not one to slay something before trying it myself. Buying the first one on a recommendation resulted in me buying a 2nd one. Now it’s time to throttle back on such luxuries to save my pesos for the P1X.

Like I said, I do not judge. Just joshing. I am very skeptical when it comes to luxury cables. A lot of daft terminology and endless streams of words to describe the indescribable… Then there is the packaging. Usually a box made from the rarest of woods like African Blackwood.

Yes I do know, it’s all to do with buying the “best” so it is packaged accordingly, etc… I would never do it and not because of a lack of funds !! I don’t judge people who do.

2 Likes

Second day in a row my DMP became unresponsive with both the remote and the touch screen, and had to be rebooted. This started happening since I updated the firmware to 3.10.

It may be going against the (burnished hardwood) grain here, but I like to think that not everyone who can afford expensive gear is tone deaf (though I’ve certainly met some who seemingly are, as well as those who bought certain gear simply because someone suggested it, and/or it fit with the decor). hard as it may be to imagine, some well-to-do people are actually capable of discrimination when it comes to the things that they buy.

One of those abilities is to be able to look past the boxes and the hyperbolic claims and simply listen to the result in their system.

I buy green coffee beans to roast that have descriptions such as this:
“City+ roasts are creamy, Brazil nut and dusty cocoa, dried strawberry, cooked rhubarb, rustic date sugar, dried tamarind, black licorice, and aromatic cedar wood. City+ to Full City+. Wild espresso.”

When I get it (should I order it, which I wouldn’t do based on the description, but rather on it’s cupping score and profile and prior experience with the varietal, etc.) I would not be sipping it and opining about these fanciful qualities. If it’s good, I’ll order more. If not, not.

So - back to audio - Sure - doesn’t necessarily make sense to spend $5k on cables to connect $5k devices, but when the devices are 10x that, the math makes more sense vs. upgrading to a component that may be additional multiples of that.

Not so good. Have you just updated recently or was it on the day of release ?

I haven’t had a single issue, 16 days straight now ! Miracle !!

3 Likes

Oh, come on! Where is your sense of demeaning tribalism?

OH! Snark from the elitist Royal Albert Hall trumpeter! I like that! I fart in your general direction! And as a member of an anarcho-syndicalist commune, I spit upon your Ducati and all it represents!

How’s that work? : )

Just updated to 3.10 a few days ago. It happened today and yesterday, when taking the unit out of standby first thing in the morning. Then it remained fine for the remainder of yesterday and today so far.

1 Like

You must have entered the DMP zone! You seem to be the only one not having issues with 3.10.
You deserve a break with all the trouble you had with you PWT!

2 Likes

It’s a major pain. My DMP was virtually unplayable with 3.09 that I had to revert back to 3.07. 3.10 hasn’t given me any grief… I think it will be like this until the DMP is discontinued.

1 Like

Thanks. I must be blessed.

2 Likes

Hi all, I just purchased a DMP over the weekend (it has been discounted for Nov). I assume that it will come with the latest firmware (3.10) pre-installed. I’ve only recently upgraded my DSD with “Snowmass”, but have not had any time to do any serious listening. Currently I am using my Oppo UDP-205 as a transport (will keep for playing BDs and streaming). Will let you know how the DMP/DSD combo works when everything is hooked up. Hopefully I won’t be experiencing some of the glitches reported on this forum. Wish me luck!
Gorm

2 Likes