DMP 3.10 released

Howdy. I hope you have the same trouble free experience (as me) with 3.10, but that you don’t encounter any of the other garbage I’ve endured these last two years. Musically sublime - functionality a total nightmare !

1 Like

Perfect!

One would hope the DMP will be QCd with the 3.10 firmware installed before shipping (I trust it will). Will do a comparison between old/new equipment configurations. I’m curios if I’ll see notable improvements in sound via the I2S interface (i.e Oppo UDP-205 vs DMP). Something to look forward to. Hope I won’t be disappointed! Stay tuned😊

Maybe not. Suggest you check it. You can flip between the different software versions until you find one that works best for you. Some people are not using 3.10 by choice.

I really didn’t have any issues with 3.10 though I don’t ask DMP to do much else besides play discs (don’t care about cover art, playlists, etc). I just thought 3.09 sounded better so I switched back to that after a few days.

1 Like

Sweet Maria’s perhaps?

You are correct, sir Arabica! : )

If you ordered it directly from PS Audio, I think it will be safe to assume that it will have the latest FW, and will go through quality testing on that version, as they are building DMP’s to order.

If you ordered it from a dealer that has units in stock, it may very well be an older firmware version…

I have the UDP 205 and the DSD/DMP combo. Took a couple of months of listening but in the end my final conclusion is that the PS Audio DSD/DMP sound stage is a lot wider than the UDP 205. Not to say the sound of the 205 is BAD, its just different. The UDP 205’s sound in comparison is more in your face, louder and instruments/sound stage closer together. Whereas the PS Audios sound is more subdued and warm (not in a bad way at all) and the wider sound stage. The instruments literally sound wider apart. Fascinating. Nonetheless, personally I like the PS Audio’s sound better now and always play my discs through the DSD/DMP. Sometimes when I’m in the mood ill do an A/B comparison to confirm my ears about the wider sound stage. Of course this is all recording, mastering dependent on a particular album.

1 Like

It dawned on my why you are not having any trouble with 3.10. It is because you do not connect to the internet and you do not use cover art or play list. These are the things that I and I see others are having with 3.10. You have been lucky that you have not been seeing the PCM playback of SACD’s as that it also still happening in 3.10. Barry is working on a fix for that issue now.

That is correct. I am not connected to the internet. I have absolutely no interest in cover art, etc… All the crap functionality I suffered with 3.09 is but a distant memory now. I wasn’t connected to the internet with 3.09 - my DMP was a complete nightmare. Locking up. Muted sound, etc. By comparison 3.10 has functioned perfectly. I just insert Cds or SACds play from beginning to end and I haven’t had any problems. I’ve not had any issue with PCM and / or DSD going back, etc !

1 Like

I don’t connect my gear to the internet either but I do have a fair number of glitches and weirdnesses with 3.10.

I get inconsistencies in the way things are displayed on the screen or information from previously played discs shows up when later discs are played. The splash of sound before hitting play occurs once in a while, etc., etc.

My SACD’s are not playing back in PCM now but were for a day or two after first installing 3.10.

WHY IS THAT ?? How does this randomness occur between one DMP and the next DMP ? How can PSA ever get a handle on this ? Most of the issues you listed, that was my experience with 3.09 which are now fixed with 3.10 but, you are suffering them with 3.10. My friend has a DMP and he has reverted back to 3.09 because it is “slightly” more reliable! It’s a complete fiasco. Firmware Hell.

1 Like

I too get the wrong information on some disks. with 3.10 . The PCM/SACD issue is intermitant The interesting thing i have found is that the disks that are unrecognized when using 3.10 show up ok with 3.09.

I could cut and paste your experience as my own.

1 Like

Long story short,I decided I wanted to try 3.09 again…loaded it three days ago and decided that it was more to my liking than 3.10. Well,today with 3.09 the DMP locked up and all functions were dead. Had to power down and up…same thing,functionality dead from the display and remote. Luckily the eject button worked and was able to retrieve the cd inside. I went through all of the power down and up sequences to no avail,still no functionality. Also reverted back to 3.06 and that worked fine. Installed 3.09 again…nothing. Installed 3.10 and seems normal for now. Any ideas on how to get 3.09 working again? An enigma for sure…

Uh oh Mark. I just gave up on 3.10 and returned to 3.09, which I like the sound of better and have fewer operational issues with. I never had any sort of problem like that with 3.09 so here’s hoping. . . . I wonder what would happen were you to reload the card with new files of 3.09.

And there is the crux of the matter…wondering what would happen. Bewildered, I wonder no more.

2 Likes

I don’t know Lonson…I will give it a try tomorrow,3.09 sounds wonderful with Snowmass,so here’s hoping for a work around.

What PS Audio components are in your system?