DMP 3.10 released

I have that problem when I first take it out of standby. The screen shows ‘reading’ before I do anything. Then inserting a disc and closing the drawer it ‘reads’ the disc, but I can’t get it to play. Reloading I can get it to play after some navigating to a different track(s).

Once I get it to play something It works without any problems, it will start/stop, navigate to different tracks normally. I had no such problems with 3.09 or earlier FW.

Yeah I did have a couple of times last night where the disc wouldn’t play after hitting the play button a few times. I had to open and close the disc tray and then they played fine.

Installed 3.10 with out a problem. Working fine except for one oversight. Where is the matching dimmer function like the one now included with Snowmass?? The new DAC dimmer is GREAT! Love that it is numerical so you know exactly where to set it. It would only make sense to have the DMP with the same dimmer. Set the DAC to 15. Set the DMP to 15. DONE! No guess work. Perfect match. Hopefully this will be included if there is a 3.11 firmware download in the future.

1 Like

I’m not completely sure yet, but I think 3.10 is slightly more detailed than the previous firmware, which I’m not sure if I like or not. Seems slightly less natural.

2 Likes

Cheers, Gary. Considering the grief I’ve had with earlier iterations of firmware and now since loading 3.10 I haven’t had any trouble at-all - I will stick with 3.10… Any difference in sound quality is just a bagatelle.

1 Like

The dimmer slide appeared first in DMP 3.10 than showed up in Snowmass at least in my system!

Yeah don’t Rock the boat, stay with 3.10 and enjoy. 3.09 worked fine for me, and after switching back and forth between the two, 3.09 sounds more natural

2 Likes

It makes sense and keeps me sane. :grin:

1 Like

I like 3.09 better. I thought the bass on 3.10 was a little too ripe. I also liked 3.09 more than 3.06. Others felt differently.

Of course the firmware will sound different in everyone’s system. Just my 2 cents.

Yes, they both have dimmer slides but Snowmass has the added feature of numerical settings for the dimmer from 0 to 100% brightness that the DMP does not have. So you can set the DAC dimmer to ,say, 25 brightness but on the DMP, you have to guess to try and match it. Where as if it had the same numerical feature, you could just set it to 25 and it would exactly match the DAC, if you know what I mean.

It would be good if the DMP could be slaved to the DSD for control like this, via network or I2S…just set the brightness on the DSD and the DMP automatically follows.

1 Like

That would work.:+1:

Music Direct is now carrying the DSD and DMP promotion.

Buy a DS Senior for the price of a Junior. You’d think that would kill any sales target that DSJ might have had this month.

I get this too on my DSJnr display. The DMP display itself is fine.

Yep, same here.

Why don’t you treat yourself to a DS resplendent with the wonderful Snowmass instead of using that Walmart - Mamod powered Esoteric thingy …. jesting :joy: Big strides with the DS since you had one… How are the new speakers settling in.?

1 Like

They are still outside in my garage, too heavy for me to move by myself. I’ve only opened the accessory box…set of Mpods and calibrated torque wrench included to check the tightness of the connecting rods. The cavalry coming here tomorrow afternoon to help me get them inside and connected to the Halcro’s. I’ve got some other stuff on order heading this way, all my upgrades should be complete soon (still waiting on confirmation from PS Audio that they will take my P3 as a trade on a new P20).

2 Likes

Snow dusted DS no. But if they send me a TSS to beta and it turns out to be better than the said made in Japan Walmart thingy I might just buy it.

2 Likes

I will let you know when I get them ( two boxes I am led to believe ) . I can see that happening. This Snowmass upgrade has really peaked my interest to see what Ted can achieve without financial constraints !!

2 Likes

I think that the reason they did not do that is that the brightness would not match because of variations in the back light brightness between units. That is why low on the DAC did not match low on the DMP. The slider was a way for us to tweak it until it looks right to us. before the slider I would run the DAC on medium and the DMP on low.