DMP 3.10 released

3.10 is definitely the f/w most prone to completely random weirdnesses arising of any I’ve installed.

It’s starting to get increasingly annoying, but because it is playing my SACD’s and DVD+R’s better than previous versions , I extremely reluctant to go back to earlier, even more problematic f/w’s.

It seems as if the “dotting of the I’s” and the “crossing of the T’s” is a random thing going on in each and every DMP at this point. I can never see an “all out fix” for any of us…

I agree.

I, too, agree. “Random” you say. Perfectly described!

1 Like

My two cents on this (which is a philosophy I adopted soon after the beta, and forgive me if I sound like a broken disc-spinner) is/was, “Well (I said to myself), Welcome to Life on the bleeding edge of a new technology”. I’ve been both an early adopter of various things and a wait-and-seer of others throughout both my professional career and personal use of audio and video.

I found a way to live with the DMP (it’s a digital Turntable - put on a disc, get it spinning, and sit back and enjoy) because I can natively play my SACDs and SACD rips on DVD-ROM to an external DAC via I2S, and I like what it does sonically so much.

I am in no way making excuses for the functionality. I just learned to accept it and enjoy the fruits of the technology from a music quality perspective. Beyond the beta, and my decision to keep it, why make myself nuts over it? If they fix it, great, if not - I’m still OK.

Of course a caveat on that re: my particular usage is that I’ve never cared if the screen art functioned and so on (rarely have connected it to a network, etc.) so I totally understand if various aspects are of greater import to others.

Being a video and audio producer, and someone who has made DVDs and BDs, I recognized fairly early on that if there was to be no traditional visual navigation interface via an externally connected “TV” or monitor screen, as with a DVD player playing a DVD-A, it would perforce be limited in its ability to do whatever anyone wished. There are far too many variables in how this navigation can be implemented.

I however agreed with the decision to NOT have a TV-screen-based interface for two reasons - I don’t want the video circuitry mucking up the sound, AND I never cared for the DVD-A format because I didn’t want to have to turn on the effing TV to get the disc to play. I just wanted to listen to music. This is despite the fact that there are perfectly awesome-sounding DVD-A’s.

Side Note: When the Great DVD-A/SACD (the then high-ish-res PCM compared with Redbook, Vs. What we would now call “1x” DSD) Debate was The Thing, I would occasionally fire up the TV or projector to get tracks going on DVD-A. Eventually I came to feel that Devices and DAC chips built around one architecture or the other were better at doing one or the other than a typical given “Universal Player”. And this is to say nothing of the provenance of source files, blah, blah. But I digress.

Personally, I would rather have Paul (and other brave souls) push the boundaries, wildly succeed in some areas and perhaps fall short of some of the goals, than not try.

My two cents, YMMV, etc.

3 Likes

If they make the DS too good it might make the TSS irrelevant.

I think Ted wouldn’t waste his time designing the TSS if he thought he could not better the DS by a significant margin…No matter…I can’t afford the price of admission any who.

You will buy a TSS… it will be too good not to. I can foresee it. You will end up selling the Japanese Walmart Esoteric thingy… Same mains volts over here - I will take it off your hands for 100 bucks and modify it back to a bedside radio/ alarm :grinning::grinning:

1 Like

No worries…here’s the challenge…dead lift one of my M3’s and you can have the Nipponese Walmart thingy.

2 Likes

I think you win Mr B…:grin: I’d need to morph into the man who turns green, all clothes burst off bar his trousers !

1 Like

Or Brock Lesnar or The Big Show. Either of whom could have made themselves useful here yesterday. DMP now vacated off the shelf to make space for the new Nipponese Walmart shiny disc spinning thingy. You can starting training on dead-lifting said thingy, it only weighs 51kg (unboxed).

1 Like

51 kilos !! You will have to strengthen the floor … Over here that’s like lifting a bag of potatoes with each hand… 8 stones! You do like heavy duty kit !

1 Like

I like kit that works as intended, however heavy.

(M3’s now have 7 hours play time, adding to that now as dawn breaks on day 2…and P20 purchase put on hold until they fix the PowerPlay servers, they’ve been down now for how many months, 5? The buying of new stuff on promises of fixes has stopped).

2 Likes

You can’t help yourself :wink: :grin:

1 Like

I’ve been critical of the DMP but I have never had an issue with the DSD. Every version of firmware installed correctly and has been error free.

As far as the DMP goes, I’m back to 3.09. In my setup, that version sounded better than 3.10. Of course, YMMV.

I didn’t have an issue with DSD either, but DSJ was exactly the opposite.

1 Like

I also think 3.09 sounds better than 3.10. Slightly more natural sounding.

@jamesh It would be good if PS Audio published a lists of bugs, at least we’d know that the issues the owners have identified have made their way onto a list.

2 Likes

ihmeyers…You are right about the DS. I don’t know why I listed it with the DMP. Sorry about that everyone. I edited my post.

No worries. :grinning: