DMP 3.10 released

If I can screw some handles onto them…I recently deadlifted 320lbs for a set of 3. The website says they weigh 320lbs (145kg) :stuck_out_tongue:. Might be awkward keeping the M3 over the center of my foot though.

Yeah, it’s called Eclipse mono. He did quote me on a pair but I don’t think they are production ready yet. They won’t sell them until they are 100% right and exactly as promised.

M3 now written on my home contents insurance policy. And of course they upped my annual premium :tired_face:

I’m drifting further off topic now…

But…

I knew it. New model Esoteric spinner P1X and mono-DAC D1X just announced in Japan.

Price looks to be cheaper than the previous model (about $30K US).

The new model spinner has a new optical reader mechanism “VRDS-ATLAS”

Here it is…just drop one of these in the DMP and nothing more to think about.

Huh, I quizzed the local distributor about it only 2 days ago and he said no way, at least another year away for a new model. I just had the pleasure of telling him “told you so!”

So my question is…when will the TSS be announced? It had better be soon because my birthday is in January and I’m shopping for a birthday present (having already bought myself a Christmas present).

1 Like

Yeesh! I wonder if I could even roll 320 lbs…

1 Like

I can assure you that 320 lbs rolls down hill very well without the need for any handles at all.

Strange thing happened yesterday and again just now with 3.10: SACD playing, the screen shows SACD on the upper left, but PCM on the right. Power off and on and it comes up correctly showing SACD and DSD.

I can dead lift more than 51kg. I guess it’s mine haha :blush:

Being a relatively young newbie audiophile (27) I suppose I have an unfair advantage!

I’m interested in hearing what you think about the differences in sound quality between the two players. Those are absolutely gorgeous speakers by the way. Enjoy them

Don’t mess with granny…

I knew I was not alone with this issue! What I have found is if I go back and forth between SACD’s and Redbook CD’s it will work fine. It is when I have played a large number of CD’s in a row and than attempt to play and SACD that it will decide to play it as PCM instead of DSD.

If only that would work, but it would not. That is just the spinner has no electronics to decode SACD or CD for that matter. The Oppo is a good base for the DMP the issue is getting it to cooperate with the PS Audio electronics. It doesn’t help that Oppo stopped manufacturing and supporting disk drives so no one is available to help with the firmware issues on that side.

I have not experienced most of the problems with functionality that others mention after the update, but I have found my player turned on the next morning twice now. I saw a few posts that a few users were having that problem with the DS after the new Snowmass update, but that hasn’t happened to me - only the DMP. Or maybe it is just my wife gaslighting me.

A couple of other bugs to report :
1/ I experienced my first « splash of sound » just after the drawer closed and the dmp was analyzing the cd. I never had this issue with any of the previous FW releases
2/ I put in a cd in the drawer, pressed on the display to close the drawer and started to wait as usual for the download of tracks and cover art, which proceeded as usual. But then, without me touching the display or the remote, the cd started playing ! Again, I have never seen that behavior before.
For my dmp, 3.09 was less buggy.
And by the way, I use the dmp almost like a turntable : pop a cd in, and play it entirely, most of the time.
The sound is amazing and I can live with the quirks, so I am sticking with 3.10 for now, but I do hope that the next release finally solves those problems.

2 Likes

I agree. 3.10 is particularly buggy.

It’s very discouraging at this point in the evolution of these f/w updates that a new update introduces a bunch of new problems in the process of fixing 2 or 3 others.

With 3.10 I’m seeing a pretty wide variety of new behaviors I’d either not seen before or had seen before but that had been eliminated with a past f/w update and are now back again.

And now, added to all that, the Snowmass DS update has introduced the annoyance of the fade-in at the start of every playback, a glitch that mixes with the “splash” the DMP does to create a splash-fade-in. The fade-in being, itself, part of Ted’s fix for another glitch - - the clicks and pops that many heard at start of playback.

I hear you…I decided to move on, all problems solved.

Unfortunately, I’m at the very end of my spending limit with audio gear.

Mrs. andolink would forever remind me of my extravagance if I even hinted at further audio upgrades. (and she’d be justified in doing so)

1 Like

I hope any long term aggrieved owners get an exceptional trade-in deal on a TSS and the new CD spinner…assuming both will be bullet-proof…save your pennies between now and then.

The Saturday after both 3.10 and Snowmass was released I drove over to my friends house to install the new firmware as he hasn’t a clue / worries about bricking his boxes. He only wanted Snowmass so that he could assess it against Redcloud and he would go the 3.10 route later on.
I took my SD card with Snowmass and installed it in his DS and it all went faultlessly. Snowmass sounding incredibly musical, etc… Jim is mightily impressed !!

One week on: I visited yesterday but this time I used a brand-new SD card supplied by my friend and I downloaded the files from his computer. I loaded the files to the DMP. Not long during the listening session the CD is playing but sound muted - the same scenario I had experienced with 3.09: (But I also experienced complete lock up - the only escape route being to switch off the power then reboot, etc.) During the time I was at my friends house (2 hours) it similarly misbehaved a further 4 times… (not locking up but playing a CD - muted sound) My friend was getting so cheesed off and worked up he wanted to return to 3.09 because he hadn’t any trouble with same… Before reverting back to 3.09 I wanted to try something different: I drove back home and returned again with my SD card/3.10. First thing I did: I loaded up 1.08 plus a reboot and gave it a quick listen then I reloaded with ‘MY’ SD/3.10: plus a reboot. Upshot. The DMP has since played faultlessly … I received a phone call from Jim 20 mins ago, he has put his DMP through a series of CD and SACD swapovers – playing discs, pausing, stopping, skipping both ways, etc. – “not one single problem”.

With 3.09 in my DMP I was in the worst firmware hell I’d experienced. Jim had none of the problems I’d experienced with 3.09 i.e. muted sound, locking up, etc.
When I loaded up the first set of 3.10 files at his house he was starting to experience what I went through with 3. 09 - but he hasn’t had any further issues since I loaded my SD/3.10 files…

I considered for all of a second trying Jim’s perfectly functioning 3.09 in my DMP ……No’ – No-Way. Why tempt providence. That’s just Masochistic !

Is it the SD cards? Is it the files? The transfer process ? Is there something intrinsic - ineradicable between transport mechanisms ?

Jim and I use our DMP Transports like standalone CD players i.e. no art work – not connected to the network. Play CDs and SACDs from start to finish.

I haven’t had a single fade-in as reported and neither has my pal Jim! When I switch between SACD and CD I still hear the series faint pops but never experienced fade-in…

Since installing 3.10 I haven’t had a single problem and, it looks like although still early (only yesterday), that Jim’s DMP is now functioning fine…!

I listened this morning to Redcloud in one of DS boxes then switched to Snowmass in the other DS box……If I had the fade-in bug I would have to put up with it because through my system and ears Redcloud is two-dimensional and less musical and not nearly as engaging…!

…All the DMP firmware’s should be, after this length of time, consistent between “all DMP transports”… This to me is more than just firmware !?..

1 Like

They should be, but obviously they aren’t and never have been. Same comment applies to the DS DACs.

1 Like

Or is it that the f/w’s are all identical but it’s the DMP’s that are different?

That’s actually what it sounds like Ted has implied in several of his posts.

In other words, how DMP’s interact with each f/w varies.

I guess to their credit, two years effort in trying to fix what was originally anticipated as only requiring two weeks to fix, and it 'aint yet fixed, but they’re still trying. That’s persistence. Eventually they will need to wave the white flag and surrender to the gremlins that breed inside it, and then perhaps move on to getting GlobalNet working again.