DMP Update Code - Post your impressions here

I just uploaded 3.06. No cover art but I feel I am getting a tad more detail to the music. I did swap a power cable the other day, so I’ll go back to the other PC to see if that was the difference in detail.

Keep up the work on the DMP firmware Almost there… I have faith

:+1: Thanks Paul

I can now fit myself under the bed, having freed up some space under there.

In a nutshell. The DMP 3.06 update was drama free (if only the DSJ updates were as drama free). With DMP on 3.06 we’ve arrived at a comfortable point for predicable CD/SACD operation from where polish can now be applied to the user experience.

I’ve got a short list of things where some polish might be applied over time.

DMP is not meshing very well with the MyPS>Playlist. We know that, it’s in the bug list.
The MyPS>Playlist time stamps remain out by 1 hour (slow).
DMP touchscreen brightness level quite bright on the dim setting.
Album and song titles are still being truncated.
The track play time counters are strobing, which I’m finding slightly distracting from across the room.
The || button on the GUI might be shunted left a little to make it central between the < and > buttons (2mm is all that is needed, this will keep the symmetry freaks happy).
I had the 1 second play splash happen on track 1 after loading a disc (as others have reported).
256 empty track slots show when the disc tray is open and the track list button is pressed - just extinguish that until the disc is loaded and the track titles populated.
MQA flag is not showing on MQA enabled Esoteric DAC when the DMP is playing an MQA encoded CD (further research at my end required on that aspect).
When track repeat function is enabled, the following song plays for 2 seconds before jumping back to the start of the song it’s supposed to be repeating.

I haven’t had a look at any data formats yet.

Some things in life are worth the wait, this might be one of them. It’s nice to see some predicable behavior come to the DMP. Well done to those involved in the 3.x rewrite.

1 Like

Can anyone confirm SACDs and HD files on DVD-R are now playing properly? I play a lot of those and read there were problem in 3.04.

Thanks, Brodric!!!

Your staff need be aware that your customers are appreciative of their efforts. The end products of their labor exist all around the world, bringing musical enjoyment to many. I think all of us here might agree on that.

3 Likes

Some times when I remove a disc ( more so with SACD ) it still shows there is a disc in the player ? Put another disc in and it clears the previous disc information, etc. The cover art is working much better now whereas previously when the network was connected the DMP struggled with basic commands. I didn’t use the network connection because of said ‘pain in the butt’ operation. I intend to keep the network disconnected as that feature means anything to me - just a gimmick !

The improvements to sound quality is most evident aspect along with the faster loading TOC.

Being perfectly honest, if it wasn’t for the stunning musical performance, I would have jettisoned my DMP ages ago. That said, the combination of the DS & DMP was / is so far in front of any my streaming setups that I stuck with the DMP for its sheer musicality and gave away my streaming kit. My mate thought I was cracked when I initially told him that I was buying the DMP. He hit me with the usual spiel, that streaming would be far superior, etc. until he heard the DMP … Defies belief how incredibly natural and musical the DMP & DS truly are…!

1 Like

Most definitely. And to me, watching you guys identify such problems with the device, suffer the series of unfortunate events etc to it and work towards fixing it up is plausible and the reason why I’ll be purchasing further PSA products.

We’re trying, boss. Sometimes it’s messy. We treat our customers like family, perhaps stakeholders is better. We do our best to share the good, the bad, the ills and the triumphs. That can be a slippery slope but in the end it’s what;’s at the heart of our company.

2 Likes

As someone who has a problem downloading the code to SD and buying cards from PS Audio as the fool-proof way I’m not cheering to hear that there will be monthly updates! But I’ll get 3.06 hopefully and then sit tight until a lot of other releases pass by and maybe later on make one more update.

I just generally play CD and SACD (I have tens of thousands of discs!) so I probably won’t need each incremental update.

Looking forward to 3.06 and thanks for all the hard work Barry, Matt and Paul (et al).

3.06 is on public release, you can put it on your DMP now.

Lonson,
I personally have always downloaded updates and extracted them to sd cards. The process is quite easy with a Windows computer. there is a video on Youtube explaining the process for those that may need assistance. If that does not help you than Jeremy and TJ would talk you through it. Once you get it you will be glad to be able to stay on top of the code changes. Try it you’ll like it!

I have a few observations on 3.06. The splash on insert is back with all disc types. the new thing is now I get a splash when I hit stop too. I see that it looks like the cover art is functioning closer to the way it should now. When the disc is already stored on the SD card it does not go to the website but instead brings the cover art/ track list up very quickly. If the disc is not yet known it goes to the server and gets the cover art/ track list and downloads it properly. I am not seeing the errors and multiple retries that i did with the older software releases.

Absolutely no problem, Dirk!

Lon What type of computer do you use? I use an Apple and it’s easy; even I can do it. Happy to help.
The new code is excellent.

Home from work time to download 3.06 and listen…Sounds suberb. It is mentioned earlier. Playing a “normal” cd track one starts for a fraction of a second (Splash). Press play and it starts where the “fraction” ends. Track 7 was playing, I eject the cd wait a few seconds and back in the player. Track one for a fraction of a second and than jumps to 7 where it waits for the playbutton. I eject while playing track 8 and the same ritual, track one wait and jumps to 8. Memory??? With SACD, I played Stevie Ray album In Step. Music plays I eject the album, back in the player it didn’t play track 1, Choose track 2 and press play. Track one starts. Played the whole album. When finished I choose track 2 but track one starts. When the album is playing switching from track 2 to 8 or reverse works good. Maybe something for the bug list. Thanks for the software much appreciated.

Ronald

I’ve tried it. I don’t have a Windows computer. I have a MacBook and I’m not very computer savvy any longer, been out of the workforce for more than ten years. I have not been successful, so I buy SD cards from PS Audio, which with one exception (was sent an empty card by error!) has been trouble-free.

I was very frustrated trying this some years back, even turned my PWD into a brick and had to send it back to the mothership, and I just decided it’s not for me and I’ll get the official cards from PS Audio. It’s very nice they offer them.

I use a Macbook pro and it’s very simple old files in the trash and new files copy / paste in it’s place. Easy to switch, takes less than a minute never had a problem with it.

Ronald

Bully for you! :wink: I’m glad it’s so easy for others. I have had a different experience and I’m okay with waiting for the card to be available, and for waiting after that for them to continue improving and buy another card further on down the road.