DMP Update Code - Post your impressions here

i just had the issue where i loaded an SACD and it did not select DSD but 88.2 24 bit PCM. I checked the connections screen and it seems to have dropped the handshake to the DAC. I selected a different input on the DAC (NPC) and back to the DMP than it picked up the DSD.

lonson,
If you want, I can send you my SD card that I used to successfully upgrade to 3.06.
If interested, email me at st50maint@aol.com

2 Likes

Thanks. I have an email in to PS A customer service and hopefully will hear from them soon. If not, I’ll email you. . . Thanks! I don’t mean to hijack the thread.

Thanks for the detailed explanation Paul! While most of the information has been stated before, in bits and pieces, the quoted part above was something I either missed or wasn’t fully explained previously. Now it makes some sense why it took so long. While I won’t have a chance to try the new firmware for a week or two, I’m very satisfied that the end of the long uphill slog has arrived. Perhaps this firmware should be named after a Colorado peak! Much appreciation to you and your staff!

One comment, you mentioned the Oppo staff is no longer available, were they part of the US operations? If so, are any of them still in the US? Seems to me they might be brought on as a short term consultant if you get to a point where you can’t get something to work, but think you could if you had their assistance. I know that probably is much harder to do than say, but just throwing it out there for consideration …

Exactly! Paul, you should be hiring these guys instantly!

Hi pmotz,

Oppo is a China based company that created some high end audio/video components under the name Oppodigital. Oppodigital ( the part we worked with ) is no longer creating audio/video products, but its much larger parent company Oppo is still focusing on cell phone / tablet designs.

We tried to get access to source code so we could modify the things we needed to modify to improve the DMP performance but were not able to get access. One issue with getting access is all the licensing associated. Even if hired some ex-oppo employees they wouldn’t be able to help because we cannot legally see, or modify their code.

We did try our hardest to find any path to gain the ability to make the oppo work better with the rest of the DMP, but as it stands it looks like we have to work with what we currently have.

Regards,
Matt

2 Likes

Possibility to replace the oppo drive with another in the future?

The splash play is consistent for both Redbook CDs andSACDs - but is not the first segment on the first track but 5 or so seconds into the track. I find that the track details when available come up pretty quickly - but when I jump forward from track to track - I lose either the track title (keeping the album and artist) or the details disappear entirely, and In some instances, the actual sound. It comes back when I stop the disc and restart it. DMP response to the remote is unreliable - have to press play several times.
Fortunately the sound redeems the remaining software/hardware compatibility issues

CD: 3.06. No titles, no screen 2. Just checked via screen to be sure 3.06 was loaded. Returned to main screen. Now I get title. No screen 2.

Seems to take two pushes of play on remote to get a track to begin or something play from pause. Note: this may relate to how long paused, can’t be sure. It’s not consistent.

No splash play yet. But after inserting disc I see the pause indication briefly before the play arrow. Just opened and closed tray via remote, accessed track via button, title not displayed, just large track number. I think this is now screen 2. Title has disappeared.

No issues with sound.

Appreciate the explanation of how this all happened, Paul.

Suspect two pushes to play have something to do with read cycle, and impatience.

Much improved over last version.
—

I posted this elsewhere because I missed this topic. Here is my initial impression:

I agree. IMHO there is a huge improvement in SQ. The Soundstage is larger, clarity is improved and bass is more defined with greater punch and force. I am still listening, but check out Diana Krall stepping out. Her voice is amazingly clear. Foundations and dynamics are wonderful.

As far as functionality- a step backwards. The DMP screen is no longer indicating names of tracks.

For me SQ is the most important thing. I can wait for resolution of the other issues.

Thanks Paul

Thanks for the clarification Matt! Oppo Digital had some sort of presence in the US, California as I recall, but had no idea what sort of activities took place there. Regardless, no future for additional Oppo help … phooey!

Paul has said when the DMP goes EOL its replacement will have a non-OPPO based CD optical reader only. We’re to understand some thinking on the new design is already happening in the PS Skunkworks. I think the prospect of a hardware change in DMP to accommodate a non-OPPO CD/SACD optical reader is zero.

Dug out the DMP and unpacked it, updated quickly and easily, opens, closes and plays much more snappily! Yay!

Had to dig through boxes and unpack some discs. A handful of burned DVD-ROMs so far play about 50/50. Will find some more.

Not using it with the Junior, as the entire main rig is packed, but am going AES/EBU out to a Transporter and the “B” rig. Sounds great, though I won’t be able to make any sort of comparison to how it sounded before without going back and forth between versions, or setting the main rig back up, which I’ve no plans to do until CO.

Having some of the issues mentioned by others, but quite a clean up job on the code, guys! Thanks!

1 Like

Wow. TEAC drives are available. The old Lambda transport from PS used a TEAC drive and was super smooth and fast. I loved mine.

TEAC does make CD/SACD drives too

Teac won’t sell their good stuff to outside companies anymore except for an existing contract they had with DCS. MSB which was using the same OPPO transport is in the same boat.

I think with the digital lens technology where it is at the moment makes the use of high-end optical disc mechanisms less critical to what it once was.

I’m in a similar boat to you. Whilst the re-invented DMP does sound terrific, the sound is no more compelling than my other options. Which makes me wonder whether it’s worth having another look at DMP in combination with the DSJ so I can get the native DSD playback via I2S link. I too am using the AES/EBU of the DMP (to my Esoteric), but using a sub-optimal AudioQuest Coral XLR which is not 110 ohm compliant. I just can’t see myself springing for a Shunyata Sigma AES/EBU to connect the DMP to the Esoteric, and I also can’t see myself having two DAC’s operating side-by-side.

So, @tedsmith or @Paul, will the TSS DAC have the licensing to support native DSD playback with DMP?

The TSS will be able to play DSD from the DMP via I2S identically to the DS and the DS Jr. It will also be able to accept higher rates over the I2S connection than the DS and DS Jr. should there be sources that provide them.

3 Likes

We’re talking about DSD512, right?

If so, that is not good news for me as I use my DMP mainly to play my SACD library while my Redbook library is accessed via my music server.

My question to PS Audio: Have you bought any extra OPPO transports to accommodate DMP owner’s who’s OPPO transports eventually fail and can’t be repaired?