DMP Update Code - Post your impressions here

Hey great catch! That’s probably why I get those white boxes occasionally as the title can’t be deciphered.

Ive owned this great sounding disk since it was released on SACD in 2001. image

I’ve played it though a Sony SCD-1 when I first got it and then my trusty Ayre C-5xeMP. Although I no longer have those players and acoustical memory can be bad, I believe that it sounds best via the DMP with 3.06.

1 Like

NordicBob – I used to work in the Business Affairs department of Sony Classical during the years we released the first batch of single-layer SACD’s. One of my responsibilities was to proofread packaging and CD texts for mechanical royalty purposes. Yes, we used to pay both artist and publishing royalties back then. Anyway, if the text is wrong when playing through the DMP, it might be a typo on my part rather than an issue with the player. :wink:
Just kidding of course, glad you enjoy the Szell/Cleveland recordings…they are special!!!

1 Like

I had the same thing happen when changing tracks via the remote. We are moving in the right direction but we a re not there yet!

How interesting. Thanks for the great work you all did with the project to get this beautifully recorded music transferred to SACD. I own about 35 or more of these early Sony 2 channel SACDs. To my ears they sound more natural than the newer dual layer multichannel Classical disks like those recorded on the Telarc label.

1 Like

Lucky man Bob.

1 Like

That’s right…I’m seeing the same issue.

1 Like

Same here. It’s a faff now ! Because I use the repeat continuously. With 2.08 when I changed the disc the repeat feature was locked / worked until it was either disengaged or the power to the DMP was switched off… Now with 3.06 the repeat has to be removed then reinstated with each and every disc just for the repeat to work on the CD being played . ‘A backward step’ ! Not a big issue by any stretch - but still a backward step to what went before.

1 Like

With sacd and redbook cd…the last track on the disk when finished…does not return to the beginning of the disk to track one. It seems to happen when the screen displays song title along with the track number…but seems normal when there is no song titles attached. Occasional start splash,but not all the time. Bump in sound quality is a nice bonus. Need more time to adutition for a better grip on the new update.

I tried a few SACDs & Redbook disks to see if I could repeat your findings, but all to no avail. My DMP doesn’t return to track one - doesn’t continue to play on repeatedly with any disk. I haven’t encountered the “splash” with Redbook disks and only a few times with SACDs. Some members mentioned song titles and other information not being displayed - I haven’t had any trouble…!

It is strange how there are so many variables between the DMP transports.
From my perspective the improvement in sound quality is the biggest plus and also the speed of reading the disk.

The improved sonics is far from subtle through my system.
Overall I am very happy with latest firmware .

3 Likes

To those using the DMP in their system without a preamp: is it my imagination or does the 3.06 upgrade raise the noise floor?

I seem to be hearing more hum/hiss when I’m within 3 feet of my speakers than with 2.08.

1 Like

Wow—I thought my tubes were getting old and planning to change them this weekend because I do hear hiss.

After I read your post I disconnected my BHK preamp from my system by joining the XLRs together… Listening for roughly an hour: swapping between 3.06 & 2.08 - I would agree there is (slight) intrusive noise… Nothing like listening to a conch shell type scenario but, to my ears, there is more of a hiss with 3.06. “BIG” improvement overall though when the BHK preamp is reconnected… Another glitch uncovered ?

1 Like

Does it seem like the gain is higher?

1 Like

I must say 3.06 does sound remarkable through my system … Might just be down to being a more revealing firmware…?

2 Likes

If so, I very much hope it’s one that’s correctable. I really don’t want to have to go back to 2.08 because of something like this but I may because this is a big issue with me.

1 Like

I don’t understand the question…the DMP can’t be used without a pre-amp of some sort in the system.

Clarification: without using a stand-alone preamp. I’m using the DSD directly, via XLR’s, to my mono blocks.

With 2.08 this arrangement was close to dead silent.

Not so much now with 3.06.

Perhaps. They’re probably the same Japanese-built drive but each drive is hand tuned to the board, something we can do.

1 Like

I disconnected the BHK preamp and I used the DS volume…

1 Like