DMP Update Code - Post your impressions here

Thanks for the clarification, I was thinking Redbook TOC v. video disks which are all over the place. When mastering a CD, there is little I can do to the TOC.

The DMP should absolutely have direct track access.

I am completely ignorant of the programming. So this may be a silly thought - wouldnā€™t the programming be a simple matter of when this button is pushed this must happen. (Push 1, cut 1 plays?). There must be a ā€˜decision treeā€™ and this would place very high in it?

Okay, Iā€™ll stop. I do enjoy trying to figure things out, it obviously donā€™t have enough to go on.

I know nothing of the hardware firmware side, I just know how to write the Redbook TOC. MY guess is programming a player to jump to a track is a bit tricky - or the DMP would already have it. Again, it is a basic feature however and should be a high priority to get fixed - which I am sure it is.

In 2,08 you can push a track number and it accesses it. I use this a lot. I imagine they will repair this problem in the final release. (I sure hope so).

1 Like

Hi Mark,
I posted the function issues Iā€™ve experienced in an entry several days agoā€“all of which have been reported by other folks on this forum as well.

I wanted to share my thoughts on the sound as that, too, is part of my experience with the latest firmware. If the DMP didnā€™t sound so good, these quirks with the operating system wouldnā€™t be worth all the effort to problem-solve.

Michael

Thanks for the update Michael.I will look for itā€¦:sunglasses:

You could always use one of those Discwasher cleaning CDs. All it is a gentle brush attached to an otherwise normal CD. I never had any issues cleaning my transports with that. I think itā€™s long out of print though.

As far as 3.04 goes, if they restored functionality for all the burned music I have that works in every other version Iā€™d be happy. I donā€™t need any other features. Iā€™ll continue to use 2.08 until this is resolved.

DMP is a fantastic sounding machine, but the software is a bit disappointing for me. No songtitles / Artist cq band name. No skip with numbers, no covers. Some cdā€™s start after a few seconden others start only by touching the play button. Donā€™t know how it should work??? Some cdā€™s wonā€™t deal with skipping the first time, after ejecting and second time start it works. I only use CD and SACD. Rest of the music goes by The Bridge and J River. Which work very good. Every player I have had has never had any of these issues. In some I could make a programme of the tracks I want to hear (Philips). Too much kinds of formats to deal with??? Hope there while be soon beter software with all the basic functions working. Playlist is also not functioning with 3.04. In the end it will work, step by step.
Hope with all the information given by the users in this thread that the software goes to a better level.

Ronald

1 Like

I had a strange thing happen today when playing Pink Floyd Endless River CD The mode was set to repeat a CD. It was the first time through. The DMP played to track 18 and stopped and locked up. It would not respond to any inputs. I had to reboot to get functionality back. Never had this happen with any of the previous firmware loads.

I think the reason I can hear deeper into the recording with the new code is due to a lower level of noise. Everything is a little more there and seem like more sound is coming out from the recording.
If the other area of functionality can be fix, like the direct access to track and the usb malfunction without changing the sound quality would be heaven sent.

Iā€™ve never had the ā€œtrack 1ā€ display on my DMP occur before loading in 3.04 and Iā€™ve owned my DMP going on 2 years this coming November. With 3.04, Iā€™ve found that this behavior to be consistent, but it goes away if I actually load a disk in the tray or cycle the disk tray open and then close it

Iā€™m not a beta tester but just wanted to strongly encourage @mattc and the team to address the problem reported by a few of the testers with 3.04 not being able to read the audio layer of DVD+R discs. Iā€™ve become a big fan of the DMPā€™s ability to handle this medium and Iā€™d stick with 2.08 if it was lost with the new f/w.

2 Likes

+1, though mine are DVD-Rā€™s. Lots of album rips, compilations, downloads ripped to DVD-ROM, etc. Losing that is a no-go, close ā€˜n play or no ; )

Nota bene: I canā€™t confirm that I actually HAVE this issue (EDITā€¦with the current version, as Iā€™m not in the beta). One of the reasons I wonder which issues some (but not all) have. Of course, if you donā€™t use any DVD-ROMs, you would tend not to test for it, just as I wouldnā€™t pay attention to cover art except to check if it functions.

2 Likes

You wonā€™t be losing itā€¦according to the product marketing material currently posted under the product overview:

DMP is a universal transport, capable of playing multiple types of optical discs including, DVD-Audio, AVCHD, SACD, HRx, CD, CD-R/RW, DVDĀ±R/RW, DVDĀ±R DL, BD-R/RE, as well as stored data through its USB digital input.

Maintain the faith, PS Audio will deliver exactly what was promised. We all know itā€™s taken a long time to get to this point (I think the first DMP review appeared about Jan 2017), but we can see progress is being made.

1 Like

I thought Paul already mentioned somewhere that BD and DVD-A were no longer a valid media to be used on this transport? Me thinks the overview print is no longer valid and needs changed.

1 Like

Incrementing tracks w arrows. They play. Donā€™t know if this is correct. Thought the track would wait for the play command.

ā€”

SACD Stevie Ray Vaugn, cover and songtitle.
No time indication. No name of the album.
When there is no cover, songtitle Artist and album name are mentioned.
Tracktime is also working. Cover comes, time and album name are gone.

Ronald

1 Like

I have this issue with 3.04 FOR SURE. Posted it in this thread previously

"No problems with the install but big issue for me upon inserting a disk. It appears unable to play FLAC files I have burned to a DVD which worked fine in previous versions.

I believe I recall a comment about it still having issues with DVDs but I though that meant pre-recorded DVD-A disks. I didnā€™t know it wonā€™t read the ones Iā€™ve burned. I have to go back to the previous version because thatā€™s a big part of what I listen to these days."

I burned the disks either directly in windows or using windows media player. Most were burned at the slowest speed I could use for that media, generally 4x but some as low as 2X. I found a couple that would play after trying more than 20 disks. Hereā€™s what I could find:

A) SOME DVD+R disks would play. Verbatim disks worked better than the Memorex disks, though a few Memorex DVD+R would play.

B) The few DVD+RW disks I had would NOT play.

C) NONE of the DVD-R disks would play.

D) If I tried a DVD+RW disk or a DVD-R disk then tried a disk that HAD played such as a Verbatim DVD+R the Verbatim would no longer play until I rebooted the DMP.
*All of these disks played fine previously, as recently as last night. Iā€™m sure when I go back to 2.08 they will play correctly again."

Iā€™m with you Badbeef. The inability to play music I burned that played fine with other versions of the code as well as on PWT would be a non-starter with me.

Right - You are why I was wondering if everyone else had the issue, too - or if it was a per-unit type issue. Knew you had it for sure.

Could it be just my unit? I guess theoretically. If it was the hardware though wouldnā€™t I have had trouble playing them before? I have never had the DMP fail on any disc I burned correctly until this new iteration of software. There is so much good music available for download these days.

The last few days I am beginning to question whether or not I should just buy a music server and stop worrying about the shiny silver disc foreverā€¦