DMP Update Code - Post your impressions here

Yep, buy a music server and stop worrying about the shiny silver disc forever.

No thanks.

1 Like

Negatory.

1 Like

It wonā€™t sound as good as the DMP! There is the rub!

You are right. I do have the Aurender N10 and it is a step back in sound quality compare to the DMP even through the server cost a little more. To me, sound quality is most important.

2 Likes

I have no issues with the sound quality of my music server, and the convenience of networked audio over disc spinning wins hands-down.

Iā€™ll never abandon my shiny silver discs!

4 Likes

To place this opinion in context, it is helpful for everyone to know you are also pleased with Spotifyā€™s lossy data-compressed streaming service as well. There is nothing wrong with this, but I suspect many are seeking a bit more.

Really? That surprises me and gives me cause for pause.

I would have assumed the best servers reading from a hard drive would outperform a transport. Maybe not.

Have you been able to replicate this to rule out a one-time anomaly?

1 Like

Paul has commented that music from a HD will sound better than music on a spinning disc so why wouldnā€™t the music servers be superior to the DMP?

It depends on the server and the transport.

1 Like

I have not attempted to duplicate this but whether it is a one time or not it never occurred with the DMP with any previous software. I actually call that recording endless filler instead of endless river. I will have to try it again when I am not actually listening.

Servers suffer from a much noisier environment than the DMP .

I was talking specifically a high end server like the forthcoming Octave or Lumin or Aurender vs the DMP into the DSD.

Thatā€™s right. My music server is worth a lot more than a DMP, Iā€™m talking about more than 5 times the price. Which reinforces the point that the DMP represents value orientated pricing for performance.

1 Like

Yes I amā€¦I can assure you my lossy Spotify stream sounds better than the $1M flagship Gryphon + MSB system I heard recently spinning a CD. And the owner of that system emailed me a few days afterwards to apologize for the woeful sound (his words, not mine - Iā€™d never tell an owner their system sounded woeful).

1 Like

ā€œWoefulā€ is wonderfully descriptive.

Actually he said a lot more than that which was descriptive of the problem, all of which I agreed with, and all of which was summed up by that one word. And he was right, I just didnā€™t have the heart to tell him at the time. Heā€™s told me heā€™s since corrected the issues and the magic has been restored.

Point beingā€¦there is more to this caper than throwing money at itā€¦and you can throw a lot less money at it and get a better result. Which was the point of me mentioning lossy Spotify again, as many might criticize it out-of-hand without having heard how good it can sound.

1 Like

The DMP does sound a little more vivid when compare with the same DSD files to the SACD disc. I went back and forth between the Aurender N10 and DMP with all kinds of music and It"s always the Dmp coming out ahead. I did a lot of listening with my brother who is also an audiophile and he was so impress with the DMP that he also bought one. He already have the DS Dac. The DMP has an advantage that the I2S interface might be better than the USB with the Aurender.

dMP

3 Likes