DMP Upgrade 3.13 released

I believe this feature was killed a few releases back.

No, it was enabled by default and then the button to alter it was removed from the DMPā€™s screen. The Oppo inside the DMP does not know anything about that and enables its video section every time the unit is restarted. It is up to the DMP to re-enable pure audio. This may no longer be happening with this version, hence the reports of degraded SQ.

Okā€¦thanksā€¦did not know that.

John, the CD plays perfectly. No issuesā€¦ plays the tracks as selected and showing the correct track number. Must remember - I havenā€™t installed 3.13. I am running on 3.10. Did you encounter the quirks with 3.10 ? My DMP plays faultlessly with 3.10 so I wonā€™t be installing 3.13ā€¦!

1 Like

Has anyone been able to confirm with PSA that this Pure Audio setting is always fully enabled?

Default has remained in Pure Audio mode.

Very nice release.
Only one issue : my screen sometimes remains in the small characters mode, and I canā€™t read the track numbers from my listening position.

Dirk,
I thought you had tried 3.13. That is why I was asking. For me 3.13 at least seems to be reliable at playing SACDā€™s as DSD. It works well for cover art though some issues with track list on certain disks.

1 Like

A weird one: I just started listening to Hilary Hahn play Bach when I noticed the DMP (with 3.13) display indicating a very long, seemingly random number and below it, it read ā€œMiles Davisā€.
I ejected and reloaded and can not reproduce the error.
Before that I listened to a couple cdā€™s but no Miles Davis.

Six, Sorry - No, I didnā€™t install 3.13 because I have been fault free with 3.10ā€¦ ā€œWhy risk breaking my happinessā€ ?!

1 Like

I was hesitant to post my opinion about 3.13 until my friend listened on his system.

I had told him I thought it was a stunning increase in sound quality.

Here is his response:

ā€œI feel guilty that I was blaming my Merlin BME speakers for what I believed were certain limitations that I attributed to them such as music occasionally sounding somewhat congested. I always accepted as fact that these speakers did not have the resolution of more expensive speakers. That was always how they sounded to me. After installing 3.13 it sounded more like a speaker upgrade.

I immediately noticed an increase in clarity and resolution that I hadnā€™t heard before. Sort of like looking through a clean clear window or replacing the lens on a camera with a higher quality one that allows you to see fine details that you were unable to see before. Thatā€™s what Iā€™m hearing. A pristine clarity and I would say dramatic increase in resolution. Listening to The Essential Yo-Yo Ma 2 disc set the cello sounded spookily real and the raw sound of bow on string created the illusion of real thing. There was a heightened sense of reality with each of the 14 cuts that I played on disc 1. Every piece had that same quality of increased resolution and clarity. In addition there are also improvements in soundstage width, height and dynamics. As an example listening to Brahms Quartet No.1 in G Minor for piano and strings I was always aware of the music being somewhat clouded and congested. I attributed it to it being a mediocre recording. After installing 3.13 I was amazed at the clear, open, and dimensional sound with fine details that were missing before and absolutely no sense of congestion even when things really got going in the piece. I had been considering new speakers as of late but now Iā€™m reconsidering that thought.ā€

Interesting. I may purchase an SD card with 3.13 one day.

This is exactly what 3.10 sounds in my system. 3.13 with force load original uncompressed (re: not zipped) copies of the files sounded decidedly wrong to me. First very tipprd on top then after 24 hrs dull lifeless no back stage define undefined individual instrumentals etc. going back to 3.10 which has always run perfectly on my DMP brought back as described above. Superb sonic textures and staging with vocals to die for. Back to 3.13 and again a no go.
Last night returned to 3.10 and bliss had returned.
Not sure why Iā€™d have issues with 3.13 since the files were never compressed nor downloaded. I received mine directly from CS as all my recent files have been for DMP and DS as Iā€™d had issues with download zipped copies the past few years.

Have you now tried going back to 3.13? I have found itā€™s true what they say on this forum: going back to an older firmware then forward to the new one can lead to a proper launch of the new firmware.

Twice. Both times same results. Mine plays superbly operationally and sonically on 3.10. There it stays for now. Thx lonson for asking to confirm so others know I did more than once to confirm over three days time.

Odd

2 Likes

Four days ago I was on the fence in regards to the SQ of 3.13. I initially heard some improvements in tonality and resolution, but everything sounded kind of closed in and slightly opaque. I had let things run in for almost 3 days using a thumb drive, and was still feeling a little let down by the sound, although it had improved slightly, so I decided to go back to 3.10 late last night. It was then that I realized I had accidentally included the PDF file when I had installed 3.13. I went ahead and installed 3.10, which again sounded better in some ways compared to 3.13. I then reinstalled 3.13, this time without the PDF file. After spending a little time listening, I could tell that things shifted more favorably to 3.13. Not sure it was merely because I switched back and forth, or because I excluded the PDF file this time. 3.13 sounds more tonally dense and rich, with better resolution, and now with more run in time, and switching back and forth between the previous firmware, things are starting to open up.

Listening for the first time this morning, I feel even more positive about what this latest firmware for the DMP brings to the table. I had initially noted that 3.13 had more weight in the bottom end, but sounded a little murky. This morning the bass is sounding phenomenal! Tight fast and nimble, along with greater gravitas in the bottom end compared to 310. 3.13 is shaping up to be a significant step forward in SQ. If for some reason you are not liking the sound of 3.13, it most likely needs more time to settle in.

Many thanks to PSA for making these upgrades available to all of us for free.

1 Like

Sounds good! Last night I listened to 3.10 and again marveled at the bloom and PRaT. Then decided Iā€™d try 3.13 again. Both times Iā€™ve installed before I did NOT incl the PDF file. Only the 4 3.13 files.

Last night at around 1:30 AM as Iā€™m up almost always unable to sleep with my disability, I used a different SD card reformatted and installed my force load 3.13 origin files and restarted the DMP

Itā€™s been running on repeat USB stick since then with hi rez PCM music since. Following your advice Iā€™ll give it a good 4-5 days usb run in before determination again. If it will open up to the enormous stage and bloom 3.10 has with the positive reactions Gary-m notes Iā€™ll be a happy camper.

His results short term were what I experienced earlier although I never include the PDF file in my loads.

1 Like

I much preferred 3.09 over 3.10 and now with 3.13 the tables have yet turned again. 3.13 hits the high mark over all previous os updates so far for me and my tastes in sound quality and functionality is the best it has ever beenā€¦ Good job PSA and thank you.

1 Like

Still two pushes on remote to get a CD to playā€¦ for me.

After saying I had no intention to try 3.13 due to a happy and joyful 6 weeks of faultless, functionality and usability with 3.10 - I decided to give 3.13 a try out after reading forum feedbackā€¦

3.13 files loaded on the SD card and installed to the DMP without a glitch: but, initially, I was far from enamoured with the sonics! It sounded slow, dull, closed-in and kinda like a blanket over the top endā€¦So, I installed 1.06 +2 reboots then 3.13 + 2 reboots and this addressed the initial dissatisfaction that I felt on hearing 3.13 for the first time.

I left the DMP to play on Repeat through the night with a USB stick. Yesterday morning I listened to a few CDs and I thought to myself ā€˜3.13 was betterā€™ ? but then later in the day I was thinking is it only different ? I wasnā€™t sure, maybe the DMP just needed more burn-in/settling-in period - possibly due to the new firmware, and due to the time the DMP was switched off - plus just to re-establish, etc ā€¦

Well, now some 30 hours further on, playing non-stop with a USB stick, ā€œI am totally fed up listening to 3.13 in my DMPā€ā€¦ With 3.13 my system is sounding boring, lacklustre, duller, lacking air & space ā€¦ it is musically bereft and doesnā€™t pull me into the performance.

With 3.13: instead of relaxing and enjoying the music I am constantly analysing sound. I reinstalled 3.10 and within 1 hour of continuous play the music had returned and with it my happiness.

The vexing whether 3.13 and/or 3.10 is over.

( I did prefer the much quicker boot up speed of 3.13 - with 3.10 it seems an eternity before anything noticeable happens )

Possibly, just like Gary, 3.13 could/would improve with 3 - 4 days extended playing: - but I simply canā€™t be bothered to spend more wasted time deliberating it all when Snowmass & 3.10 make my music a joy-filled experienceā€¦

Obviously - this is just my take on 3.13 and doesnā€™t mean that I am right, only my experience and preference!

Hi Six, I tried the Bruce Springsteen CD that you mentioned and it played ā€˜allā€™ tracks faultlessly regardless of sequence ā€¦ Disk Problem Freeā€¦!

Thank you Richard for forwarding me your uncompressed 3.13 filesā€¦ Much Appreciated!

2 Likes