Do you clean your new records?

That’s what I understand as well. There seems to be no way to purchase presently on their website. Your link duplicates the one I provided. Color me a cynic.

I ordered the Kickstarter RCM you mentioned a long time ago at the lowest rate they offered. Originally, they said it would be released in June/July as I recall, but it sounds like fall now.

Not expecting much at this price, but most of the records I buy these days are new or M- or maybe if an LP in my collection record needs to be cleaned again it should be good enough. If not, the financial loss is minimal or might be able to sell it to recoup some of the money anyway.

1 Like

Yeah, it states “pre orders closed”

I think they would have had massive demand at this price, there really is nothing close to it apart from DIY kits at around the £500 mark.

I am hopeful and optimistic. Unfortunately the website owner is restricted information, so can’t tell who it’s backed by in that respect.

1 Like

Good to know, if it is valid and released in October at the price it is worth consideration. Until then I’m on the sidelines regarding a HumminGuru.

1 Like

I’m very much the same, but watch with anticipation.

1 Like

Al–Have you ever used a wash and suck type, like the VPI? I have a VPI and I’m thinking about maybe an Audio Desk. I’m wondering,however, if the ultrasonics are significantly better.

Keep me in the loop should you catch a valid release and price.

1 Like

Ditto :+1:

Cheap options that I like: Squeaky Clean Vinyl MK-III RCM 3D Printed Record Cleaner (Classic Blac

Just buy a little shop vac, get a couple of plastic bottles for your 2 or 3 solutions. Most of you guys are crazy rich and probably smirk at this. Hahah

1 Like

Ron, just a heads up on AudioDesk, you may want to research it in terms of reliability. I have read that reliability has been a concern, which is why I held off on it, and Klaudio has been discontinued due to reliability issues. I held off on the pricier ones as they seem to overstate their effectiveness, usability, and reliability. Friends had both and AudioDesk and a Klaudio which did see heavy use prior to failure. The less expensive ones seem at a glance to be a Rube Goldberg approach, and likely less than reliable. So I continue with two VPI 16.5’s, scrub-a-dub-dub.

1 Like

Thanks! Good to know.

1 Like

Should you pursue one I’d like to know how it works out for you.

I’ve posted out photos before of my home made US cleaner, using a 10 L tank and I built the suspension system my self using an 1 RPM motor to spin the LP.
I use to let the LP drip dry or sometimes if I wanted to listen to the LP just after cleaning, I would vacuum dry
To me the drip dry seemed to streak sometimes on the vinyl so I got the idea of spin drying the LP, I got a Bodine gear motor running at 256 RPM, built another suspension system and spin dry a LP (top device) while another LP is cleaning in the tank. The centrifugal force flings the fluid very quickly away from the LP.
I’ve cleaned over 1000 lps with these devices and have around 175 dollars in them, the tank was the biggest expense.

4 Likes

I’ve used a VPI 16.5 for 5 years and it has cleaned thousands of records without issue. Best money spent… They are a little more expensive now.

1 Like

Clever! The streaking has me wondering what fluid do you use and is a distilled rinse water method employed? I see the clamping discs do not cover the record label. Has any fluid rundown over the label causing it to wrinkle or lift. I have seen approaches that use a clamp slightly larger than the label with buna-N (rubber) o-rings.

2 Likes

In the 10 L tank I use a little over 2 gals of distilled water with a tea spoon of photo-flo and a table spoon of alcohol.
No water has ever slipped down on the labels, seems the surfactant keeps the fluid in the grooves when cleaning and has no chance with the spinning to drip down.
The clamp devices are just foam practice hockey pucks with a spring clip on the removeable side and a grommet on the permanent side place.
I use a small 2x4 with a 1/4 inch hole to place the rod in for easy loading and unloading of the vinyl. It’s all cheap but effective.

I just cleaned this Joan Baez LP, having this crude holder makes it simple to load and unload the LPs.

DSCN0656

4 Likes

Very creative, just surprised as to the mention of streaking as that solution shouldn’t leave any residue.

2 Likes

My next improvement will be a filtering system for the fluid in the tank. Being in industrial maintenance for over 30 years I like to figure out and tinker on stuff like this. Making it effective and very cheap does my heart wonders, being a poor simple hillbilly in the mountains of Upper East Tennessee… :grinning:

1 Like

To be honest I’d never let records dry with the residue on them, if I had an ultrasonic it would mean, I had to conventionally wash/suction each record additionally.

3 Likes

Odd, my Ultrasonic cleaner dries records. It is not the only model to do so.
The misinformation in this thread troubles me. So many experts with no hands on experience.
I have hands on experience, I’m out of this chat. You guys have fun.