Does the Digital Link III have an ASIO driver?

I am getting a a DL III soon, and wonder if there is an ASIO driver available to work with Jriver (or anything else!).

The DLIII uses the built in driver available in Windows and Mac. I don’t think we ever released a separate one.

So can I output bitperfect to it, without going through windows mixer?

You bet.

Thank you.

But somehow, I don’t know how it would work, until I get mine.

Without WASAPI or ASIO - I thought everything would go through the windows mixer.

But I shall take your word for it, after all you know!

Unlike older versions of Windows from Vista on the Windows mixer isn’t as evil as it used to be, you can take exclusive control of the sound device and put your volume to 100% and fairly reliably get bit perfect output.

On my windows 7 system I can easily get bit perfect output thru ASIO, WASAPI (either event driven or via pushing) and kernel streaming.

There are hints in the How To run the BitPerfect test on the DirectStream (in the How To’s in PS Audio Support) that are useful even if you aren’t using a DirectStream.

Thank you Ted.

However, my point was that the DL III has no ASIO driver! according to Paul.
Perhaps it has got WASAPI, I don’t know ( my current TEAC DAC is not bit-perfect under WASAPI), but without either, I was under the impression that with standard drivers, you have to live with windows mixer, re-sampling, volume control and . . .

I believe that was why the two aforementioned drivers were introduced.
whether the windows mixer is evil or not, it is unwanted, at least to a HiFi purist.

I wonder if the new USB drivers work with DL III (with a little tweaking! 77_gif)

My point is that starting in Vista you now have enough control to keep the default drivers, etc from capriciously upsampling or doing other processing. FWIW my windows volume control affects my ASIO output so that isn’t a guarantee either.

In general ASIO drivers are much more likely to cause problems than other methods. They are designed for audio editing which requires minimal latency between input and output. For audiophile use this is all irrelevant. People who do audio editing are willing to put up with some crap to use ASIO correctly, including building their workstation around the hardware and changing hardware if the ASIO driver is too flaky.

Anyway as I said the recipe for using WASAPI and kernel streaming in a bit perfect manner are in the How-To.

Thank you ted, I hear you.

On my system, in control panel I have ticked “don’t use this device” for my Teac DAC. So my “windows” is blind to it,
YET! jRiver using an ASIO driver can access the DAC and push even DSD to it. It is bit perfect and I have had no problems. I am very happy with jRiver’s internal 64bit volume control.
My AV software (same PC) uses my digital AV receiver via WASAPI & is bit perfect, windows volume only affects the built in sound card and nothing else.

BTW once I get my hands on DLIII, I shall give it a good run against my current Teac UD-501, and report.

I have a pair of monoblock OTL tube amps (self built, using Russian 6C33C’s ) and a pair of Sonus Faber Grand Piano.
At work I have a self built EL84 (6BQ5) based poweramp, hooked up to a pair of Sonus Faber Concerto bookshelves.
I shall try the DAC on both systems, direct to the poweramps.

Cool. ASIO drivers can be great, but on average they aren’t :)