Drone Music

2 Likes

An interesting article. I am going through the sample recordings now.

I was unaware of drone metal.

1 Like

Given how many sub-genres of “metal” there are, I guess it was inevitable there would be a drone variety :slight_smile:

1 Like

I thought it was for something like this. Drone music.

1 Like

How about drone jazz? Check out The Mount Fuji Doomjazz Corporation.

1 Like

Drone Zone on SOMAFM.

1 Like

An interesting article.

1 Like

Isn’t it :slight_smile:

I seem to have more and more “drone” music at home (although a lot of it would be labelled “ambient” in most music shops"), very soothing and helps me concentrate!

@joma0711, with your insomnia issues you should be listening to lullaby music :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Aye this is true, but anything with singing distracts me from sleeping :slight_smile:
“Drumming Pt. 2” sends me off though!

1 Like

Liz:
“It’s all bl***y drone music - except when it’s pan pipes”.

At least Jess the Border Collie appreciates my musical taste :smiley:

1 Like

Wow. This is a huge and fascinating category of music/sound that crosses the boundary across a lot of genres. The basic premise seems to be a rhythmic cadence that induces an emotional state of calm. Now maybe I finally have a tag I can apply to a composer who has always mesmerized me, Philip Glass. His style is instantly recognizable, at least to these ears, as a repetitive basic melody he builds variations on. One of my earliest encounters with his music was the original score he composed for Koyaanisqatsi. His repetitive, rhythmic style was perfectly suited to the premise of that film. Not sure whether he would be flattered by thinking about his compositional approach as Drone Music, but he’s always seemed to me to be so idiosyncratic he might love that means of categorizing his style.

Great topic for a new thread.

1 Like

yes Glass (and Steve Reich, my favourite) are generally referred to as “Minimalist” but the effect has a lot in common with pure drone stuff.

at the other extreme i think Daevid Allen’s drone / glissando music is some of the best (i just get a bit tired of the pot head pixie side of his work) :slight_smile:

1 Like