DS Balance Control Problems

I’ve had my DS for about a month and am generally very pleased. Thanks! However, I’m baffled by the balance control, though it may just be some ignorance on my part.

I keep the overall volume output on my DS at 65, which works well with my amps and other sources. That’s fine. My problem is that I like to adjust the balance control to “square up” some recordings. When I press the left arrow on the remote, presumably to increase left channel volume, the overall volume seems to increase, not just the left channel. When I press the right arrow nothing seems to happen. This is with FW version 5407. The numbers adjust on the DS screen as I would expect - left or right increases that channel’s setting number.

With FW 6115, I got the same result with the left channel increase. But, the few times I tried to increase the right channel the sound seemed to stay at the same volume but with a strange hollow sound. I switched back to 5407 with the same results described above.

Not sure what to do at this point. crying_gif

Brian Elliott

Thompson, CT

Something’s not right. Obviously. With 6115, when you press the left balance arrow, the right channel volume should decrease, giving the illusion the left channel is getting louder. With 5407, pressing the left arrow the left channel actually does get louder.

Neither should create a hollow sound.

Hollow like out of phase?

I remember another thread about balance issues with the DS. The solution there, IIRC, was to run the volume control up and down throughout its range a couple of times, then the balance control started to cooperate. (Sorry, I can’t find the exact thread right now.) Not sure if this is the same problem Brian is having.

I went back and forth between 5407 and 6115 a couple of times yesterday. The strange hollow sound disappeared, but I still have the same lack of a balance control. Alex sent me a modified version of 6115 which would hopefully set things straight, but I had no such luck.

Increasing the left channel (actually reducing the right) does nothing despite the display showing reduced output, as it should. Increasing the right channel (reducing the left) reduces overall volume, just as though I was using the main volume control.

As “magister” suggested, I ran the volume control all the way up and down and number of times, without any change. Also, without success, I’ve unplugged the unit a few times leaving it without juice for several minutes hoping for some kind of a beneficial reboot.

Guess I’ll try to call Alex again today.

Thanks for your comments.

Brian

brianme said I went back and forth between 5407 and 6115 a couple of times yesterday. The strange hollow sound disappeared, but I still have the same lack of a balance control. Alex sent me a modified version of 6115 which would hopefully set things straight, but I had no such luck.

Increasing the left channel (actually reducing the right) does nothing despite the display showing reduced output, as it should. Increasing the right channel (reducing the left) reduces overall volume, just as though I was using the main volume control.

As “magister” suggested, I ran the volume control all the way up and down and number of times, without any change. Also, without success, I’ve unplugged the unit a few times leaving it without juice for several minutes hoping for some kind of a beneficial reboot.

Brian

I thought I’d posted this yesterday: the solution isn’t to just run the volume up and down, it’s to use the balance to get the numbers the same, change the volume (probably down a ways), then center with the balance, then change the volume, … till the balance and the volume work independently.

brianme said I went back and forth between 5407 and 6115 a couple of times yesterday. The strange hollow sound disappeared, but I still have the same lack of a balance control. Alex sent me a modified version of 6115 which would hopefully set things straight, but I had no such luck.

Brian

Was your DirectStream a kit?

brianme said I've had my DS for about a month and am generally very pleased. Thanks! However, I'm baffled by the balance control, though it may just be some ignorance on my part.

I keep the overall volume output on my DS at 65, which works well with my amps and other sources. That’s fine. My problem is that I like to adjust the balance control to “square up” some recordings. When I press the left arrow on the remote, presumably to increase left channel volume, the overall volume seems to increase, not just the left channel. When I press the right arrow nothing seems to happen. This is with FW version 5407. The numbers adjust on the DS screen as I would expect - left or right increases that channel’s setting number.

Are you using the balance buttons at the bottom of the remote? Or are you using the the central disc with arrows on the remote? The balance is adjusted by the L/R buttons labelled “balance” at the bottom of the remote.