DS/PWT mode?

Hello forum. I have a quick question which I could not find an answer to on site. Does it matter which mode I leave the DS and PWT units on when not in use? Is it best to leave them in the 'Ready mode' or the 'Operation Mode'? Does it matter any? I tend to leave equipment powered up 24-7.
Thanks...Mark

I’m not sure about the PWT (although I suspect the answer is the same) but, with the DS, when you put it in standby using the remote or pressing the logo switch on the front panel, it just turns off the display and mutes the outputs. The audio circuitry is still powered up so the unit is still warmed up and ready to go (unlike if you turn it off at the back panel). It should sound the same whether or not you put it in standby when not in use (but if you turn it off using the switch on the back, it will take some time to warm up and sound its best–how long that takes is a matter of great debate).

The only issue I’ve found with putting the DS into standby is with the USB connection. If I shutdown my computer and turn off that computer’s power supply (a surge protector) or unplug the computer from its power supply while the DS is in standby, when I turn everything back on I won’t be able to establish a USB connection without rebooting the DS. If the DS is not in standby or I don’t completely power down the computer, the USB connection is fine.

-Pb

When I had my Mac Mini connected by USB to the DS I did not have that problem. As with a lot of connection issues, this one effects some people but not others.

Peanut Butter said The only issue I've found with putting the DS into standby is with the USB connection. If I shutdown my computer and turn off that computer's power supply (a surge protector) or unplug the computer from its power supply while the DS is in standby, when I turn everything back on I won't be able to establish a USB connection without rebooting the DS. If the DS is not in standby or I don't completely power down the computer, the USB connection is fine.

-Pb

Nothing in the audio, digital inputs or USB chain knows when the DS goes into standby.

I’ve certainly experienced the effect of rebooting a computer forcing you to reboot the DS. So far it’s USB hub dependent here, so various systems may or may not have that problem. Also if you use a USB that doesn’t hook up the USB power line it can cause problems like this.

I use standby so that the screens are off. They are the most likely to fail.

Elk, will using the dim button on the remote save the screens in the same manner as standby mode? Or is power still running through the screens,which could cause a shorter life span?

I believe dim works the same, but I would double check with Ted.

The Dim button on the remote shuts the display off. Press the On button on the remote to go back to normal.) Most other button presses turn the display back on for a little so you can see what you are doing.

Stand by (the logo button on the upper left front of the device or the Off button on the remote) also shuts the display off. Pressing the logo button again or the On button on the remote goes back to normal.

Also related is the screen brightness option in the options menu on the touchscreen (press the Gear in the upper left of the screen and the select the Dimmer level.)

Ted,so the dim button and standby mode are one in the same if one would care to save the screen life? Apples to apples?

Thanks…Mark

Yep, that’s what I was trying to convey. Just using dim is fine if you don’t need the DS to mute - standby will also mute but in either case the guts are still up to temperature and the digital and analog boards are running identically.

Thanks, Ted

Thanks everyone… a great help in my concern of screen life…77_gif