DSD into Power Amp directly (KT120)

It happens when tracks are the same resolution. it also doesn’t matter where the volume is set on the PWD. Doesn’t do it when I have my preamp in between the PWD and amp

Back on May 11, in the ‘Sunlight: Sound Impressions’ topic, Ted posted the following comment to explain why some were more aware of ‘pops’ and ‘clicks’ sounding between tracks with the ‘Sunlight’ firmware.

“One of the things I did to get better sound disabled the ramp up after an automatic mute when sample rates change, DSD/PCM changes, preemphasis changes, etc. So instead of ramping up over 10 or so milliseconds it’s silent for that time and then the new material starts. In my (apparently too limited) testing I didn’t notice significantly worse clicks and pops.”

However, this doesn’t explain why you’re hearing them when going directly to your power amp but not when you use your preamp.

What source are you using and are you on the latest version of code?

Hi James, I’m using optical in from my Cambridge CXN streamer, don’t know about the code.

I don’t know how to download and upload to the unit.

This link will help you and has a few videos. https://www.psaudio.com/ps-how/upgrade-directstream-operating-system/
For your PWD, you’ll want version 3.0.4 which can be found here. https://www.psaudio.com/support/downloads/

Thanks James, this is the unit I have. looks like the MKII?

the firmware upload worked but it still has the same problem. CD transport is ok, only streamer. It seems the input drops in an out in between tracks.
Must be something in the non gapless playback function of the CXN

Yeah, if it’s not happening with the CD player then it’s not likely to be an issue with the DAC. My guess is the streamer isn’t doing the gapless properly.

Ok, so the CXN streamer is going gapless when playing onto the next track. The problem is when skipping tracks in Tidal Connect. The signal drops out for a second and the PWD input relay clicks off and then back on again. There seems to be an input detection circuit that detects when the input is receiving a signal, when you lose the line level signal the PWD input switches off. Similar to when you select different inputs, you can hear the relay clicking and it also pops a little.

Doesn’t do it when the preamp is in the system.

FYI the PWD & BHK250 combo sounds better with the Holo Serene preamp in between. It was already amazing sounding but it’s even better with this preamp. Mainly in the clarity of the image and the separation of instruments. Its also improves the timbre and seems to orchestrate the music with a little X-Factor. You know something is right when the foot starts tapping and your face starts grinning.

I’m so impressed with this amp. We are in Covid lockdown right now in NZ and the one highlight is hearing gear that is so many levels above what I’ve had previously. Just spun an old favorite LP and the experience was breath taking. Hegel V10 Phono > Holo Serene Pre > BHK250 = Heaven.

1 Like

FYI guys the NWPC thrashes the Hegel V10.
By miles

So what is the NWPC? Hmm maybe the National Wages
Productivity Commission… :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :innocent:

And curious how could it thrash the Hagel? Hmmmm…
Just having fun with your use of acronyms… :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Best wishes

1 Like

North Western Police Commissioner. Watch out.

1 Like

NuWave Phono Converter from PS Audio. I really like mine.

2 Likes

Serhan …that’s cool…
But perhaps it is the Non Workers Proliferation Comission :grinning:

You see guys it takes a cognicenti to unravel
the acronyms

Thanks Lonson

1 Like

Some owners still prefer it over Stellar Phono Preamp.

I haven’t heard the Stellar, but I think the NuWave is a great match for my Rega RP3 with all the Groovetrace mods, Rega TTPSU, Reference belt, and Elys2. And when I experimented after owning it a year and using it all analog I was tremendously surprised to find that it sounds amazing using DSD via I2S into the DSD–which sort of makes sense as my best cabling is in use and I think the analog output of the DSD may be a hair better than that in NuWave.

1 Like

Lol, bunch of comedians round here :sweat_smile:

Its like an inflated balloon compared to the Hegel, everything is bigger, higher & wider. It’s like listening to music in a room with high ceilings. The Hegel just shrinks in comparison, its smaller, darker and the image drops lower. Less revealing, more quiet and not as rhythmic. Pretty much all the good stuff you expect out of an audiophile piece of gear is just better with the NWPC.

I originally thought it was really good compared to the NWPC because I had the Hegel connected to the BHK250 through a Holo Serene Pre, while the NWPC had been connected via I2S into the PWD DAC to BHK250.

I then connected the NWPC to the Serene pre with XLR and wow! massive step upwards. The NWPC is far far better connected to an amp via XLR and a good preamp than digital out to even the mighty PWD MKII DAC. I switched back to the Hegel with XLR as well and yep, not even close. I tried playing around with the gain settings and still didn’t anywhere near close to the NWPC.

PS I had demo’d the Stellar Phonostage while in possession of the NWPC and the stellar was another notch above. Similar improvement from when going from a mid class DAC to highend.

So yeah, my best pick for a phonostage is still the Stellar - It’s price represents is performance.

Also I’ve learnt - If you don’t have a superb preamp…Get one !

1 Like

Hey brookalypse…now that is a better description as to why
the NWPC is so much better than Hegel…

You are so spot on about an excellent pre…they are a must!!
But going straight to amp can be nice experience as well…

But of course humor and a merry heart doeth good like a medicine!!!

Best wishes…

I run my NWPC into then DSD and then the DSD into my excellent preamp. That’s a better sound for me than the XLR out from the NWPC into the same preamp, but it’s a matter of the cabling being better I think in my case.