DSJr Display Question

Hi all: I’m a new DSJr owner and love it so far. Question about the OLED Display: According to the instructions, the “auto” setting “activates the display when changes occur” and the display will “go dark when no music is playing.” But, on “auto,” my display stays on all the time. What am I doing wrong?

Michael said Hi all: I'm a new DSJr owner and love it so far. Question about the OLED Display: According to the instructions, the "auto" setting "activates the display when changes occur" and the display will "go dark when no music is playing." But, on "auto," my display stays on all the time. What am I doing wrong?
You aren't doing anything wrong. DSJ doesn't behave like the manual says it should. The DIM button on the remote doesn't work either. I suppose, something for Dennis to look at, but he's no doubt busy with higher priority stuff at the moment like DMP bugs.

I think in AUTO mode, if no input signal is detected the display will eventually go off. Your source might also have something to do with the behaviour of the display, whether it outputs “true silence” or “near silence”. I know this an option in the advanced audio settings of my Kaleidescape players. “near silence” is used if you want to stop the DAC or processor from going into automatic muting mode and missing the start of a song. Which, in your case, if the source is in near silence mode then this might be stopping DSJ display from muting.

What input are you using? And what are you driving it with?

The DSjr will detect no audio signal, then set a timer and when the timer goes off it turns off the display. So if there is any input data it will not start the timer, ever if it is all 0’s.

Dennis

I’m using a network connection via Ethernet, a NuWave Phono Converter via coax, and an Oppo BDP 105 through an optical cable.

I did a little experimenting, and the DSJ’s display off function on “auto” works if the NuWave is switched off. Maybe I need to change a setting in the NuWave, which is set to DSD?

Try setting it to PCM. But the NuWave might be sending data all of the time.

Dennis

Dennis.

My DSJ doesn’t respond to the DIM command from the remote control, other than a quick blink of the display when you push the button.

I’ll look into it when I have time and let you know.

Dennis

PCM on the NWPC does the same thing.