"Echo" Streaming Spotify/Tidal on a Windows 8.1 Machine, USB

I am able to stream Spotify & Tidal using my Autonomic MMS-5A music server, connected to the DirectStream DAC using coax, no problems. I also have an SACD player connected to the DAC with an optical cable, no problems. But when I stream Spotify or Tidal on my Windows 8.1 laptop connected to the DAC via USB and for some strange reason, much of the time, there is an “echo” added to the music. Since it occurs with both streaming services, I suspect it’s a glitch in the USB interface from Windows 8.1? Thoughts?

What happens if you play them on your windows 88.1 machine?

Dennis

ejr1953 said I am able to stream Spotify & Tidal using my Autonomic MMS-5A music server, connected to the DirectStream DAC using coax, no problems. I also have an SACD player connected to the DAC with an optical cable, no problems. But when I stream Spotify or Tidal on my Windows 8.1 laptop connected to the DAC via USB and for some strange reason, much of the time, there is an "echo" added to the music. Since it occurs with both streaming services, I suspect it's a glitch in the USB interface from Windows 8.1? Thoughts?
An echo is much more likely the setup of the audio on your OS than downstream. I'd look at the sound control panel and follow the hints in the "How to run a bit perfect test with DirectStream" How To: http://www.psaudio.com/ps_how/how-to-run-a-bit-perfect-test-with-directstream/

Ted,

I suspect it’s Windows 8.1, not the DAC. Before I purchased the DAC, I had the laptop feeding the DAC in my amp and for some strange reason, it kept losing the USB driver, had to re-install it…probably after Microsoft pushed an update to the laptop.

The next time this happens, I’ll run and get my earbuds and plug them into the headphone output on the laptop, I suspect there’s something funky with Windows 8.1 (actually there are lots of things that are “funky” with Windows 8.1!..from a Unix guy).

BTW, I’ve had this DAC now for about two months and my jaw continues to drop, hearing all sorts of detail I didn’t know existed on some of my favorite albums! Each time I sit down to listen, I discover more and more of the detail behind “sonic collage” the artists have built with some of my favorite music. You and the folks at PS Audio have really hit it out of the park with this DirectStream DAC.

Thank you for that!