Elk recordings

Any commercially available?

Not really. :(

They are all limited distribution, used to support charitable arts organizations, etc. The union members who play on them agree to their distribution without royalty, but as a result they are pretty locked down. After working with one group and honoring their requirements, the next group calls and now I have a nice cadre of clients.

It is an odd little side business niche.

Next on the schedule is recording Verdi’s Requiem: 275 voice choir, full orchestra, bass drum soloist, eight trumpets (four off stage) vocal quartet of soloists. Yeow.

If we cant have any Elk recordings…how about some Moose instead…2guns_gif24_gif

Sounds like fun. I’m sure some board members would be happy to pay for some discs (or, even better, high res downloads or DVD-R’s with high res files), with the proceeds going to the appropriate charities, of course. Maybe you could put together an “Elk’s Greatest Hits” disc (again with the proceeds to the charities). I understand that’s likely impractical, however, given the constraints under which you operate.

I want Elk recordings.

Maybe PS Audio could sponsor some like they did with Yarlung.

We are working right now with a wonderful group of musicians and recording people to do something like that already. The work may result in an actual physical release of media that we will use to benefit those same musicians and recordists. It’s a pet project I have been dreaming of for some time, changing the dynamics of how musicians, studios and engineers are compensated for their work, in an effort to help save the dwindling group of truly talented artists.

So I am very interested in anything like this and if Elk has recorded something of value, certainly we are interested.

11984657815_77101630f7_m.jpg

Elk, you’ll have to do this… Moose is tied up on a remote.

btw, what and why you do this is very cool.clapping_gif

Even some recordings that demonstrate differing effects such as mic type and placement, levels of compression, track panning, mastering techniques, set up tracks (“I am 6 ft in front and 4 ft to the right of the mic”), etc… I know that it is a lot to ask but… Man! Would that not be WAY COOL?

ok… so I’m a nerd.

Paul McGowan said I want Elk recordings.
I have posted occasional snippets. :)
Paul McGowan said We are working right now with a wonderful group of musicians and recording people to do something like that already. The work may result in an actual physical release of media that we will use to benefit those same musicians and recordists. It's a pet project I have been dreaming of for some time, changing the dynamics of how musicians, studios and engineers are compensated for their work, in an effort to help save the dwindling group of truly talented artists.
Very cool!
wglenn said Even some recordings that demonstrate differing effects such as mic type and placement, levels of compression, track panning, mastering techniques, set up tracks ("I am 6 ft in front and 4 ft to the right of the mic"), etc... I know that it is a lot to ask but… Man! Would that not be WAY COOL?
Fun, but of course hideous amounts of work.

I LOVE the moose DJ.

For anyone interested, I have attached the opening of a recent concert recording - unedited and raw but for resampling to 44/16.

It is a setting of Ubi Caritas for voices, commissioned by the group from a local composer. There are many wonderful settings of the Ubi, the most well known is by Durufle.

There are various odd audience noises, particularly a little rattle in the right channel at six seconds in. I am continually surprised by audience noise. For example, many concert programs when moved make a small clicking sound which sounds like a digital artifact.

I finally listened to Elk’s recording. I was somewhat startled at first when those voices appeared in my room.
Even though the music is not what I usually listen to, I would buy this if I could. The sound is that good.

I will be recording this same group’s current repertoire in late April.