End of the run for the DMP! What’s next?

I can’t see a single one. Although they are being downloaded to the SD card. 3.10 or 3.13, no difference… What’s the trick?

I cover art enabled in the settings of your DMP. If so and still not working try disable than reenable.

I may be incorrect, but I believe MQA wants access to IP in DACs if designers/manufacturers want MQA.

Is this right or am I confused?

Yes, it’s enabled now. I already did what you suggest, that didn’t help. I had not tried the internet features before because I don’t really care for album art, I did it now just to try and see how it looks. A good thing is, that the internet finds information for some older discs that have no metadata on them, but more often there is no information available. But hey, why don’t I get cover art when it’s available and downloaded? I will try disabling and re-enabling a couple of times again, but I doubt that something will change.

Simply because it doesn’t work properly for everybody all of the time, it never has.
Try this: Login to your MyPS>Playlist and check if DMP is reporting the stuff you are playing. Sometimes it appears in the Playlist but not on the DMP screen, sometimes it appears on the DMP screen but not in the Playlist, sometimes it appears on both (i.e. works properly), sometimes it appears on neither.

That is a good point. Some disks did not show up on the playlist with past software releases. With 3.13 my DMP has been behaving very well with all the disks that I have been playing. It all comes down to the various timing issues between the many DMP’s out there.

1 Like

I wouldn’t put it quite that way, but:

They want to know some of what the DAC does to “undo” the “bad” side effects of some of them - or put another way they want to have control of how MQA sounds on the output of the DAC. To do this they need to know things about, say, the frequency response, the phase delay of the digital filters…

To my mind this isn’t unreasonable for a DAC built around a standard DAC chip, you just sent a unit to MQA, they measure it and they provide an appropriate MQA implementation (that they presumably measure in situ.)

On the other hand, if taken literally: with a software DAC we’d have to send a copy of any new software we might want to release to MQA, they’d then (on their own schedule) modify the MQA implementation to work with it and then we could release the software. This is especially onerous if the MQA implementation is in, say, the bridge which is implemented by yet another company with their own schedules…

This is obviously untenable - Bob was satisfied to ask a few questions about our filter and then to verify the resultant DS (or Jr?) That caused the expected delay of the first release of MQA for PS Audio, but hasn’t been a problem since. If I change the filter too much I probably should tap them on the shoulder for another check.

If on the other hand they insisted on putting the MQA implementation in the FPGA then we’d be a standoff - I don’t want to expose my IP, they probably don’t want to expose theirs either. The Xilinx tools have provisions to provide black box modules that one or the other of us could use, but that misses the point:

I spend a lot of time customizing the timing of executing things in the FPGA to get the best sound, even changing a revision number changes the sound. We can’t have them compiling for us. If I were to incorporate their code I’d need full access to modify it for best sound, that probably wouldn’t make them happy either. Further, reverse engineering their changes each time they change something so that I can tweak it again would cause a serious extra delay in any releases… You get the idea.

8 Likes

I think we’re about at another anniversary date from when DMP first shipped. It was January 2017, right? And now it is end-of-life, and they are still working on the problematic software. Not many companies continue to work on software for EOL products. Not with-standing it was a problem of their own making, and despite the very slow progress with fixes, credit to PS Audio for not giving up.

4 Likes

Considering we all spent 6k they had a moral obligation…

14 Likes

And I suspect the UK/EU/Brazil owners spent quite a bit more than 6K. I would have thought the moral obligation was not to sell it until it worked properly.

6 Likes

I got quite worked up about that moral aspect of introducing a “laboratory experiment” into the market. I’m not going to rant about that again. I try to be kindly disposed towards PS Audio. But yes, i fully agree: they have to keep working on the DMP problems to regain their credibility. I just hope they see it the same way.

1 Like

Everything appears in My Playlist…

All the playlist features working here atm…
Still having a few gremlins with skipping tracks, no sound so having to re-load disc.

In the UK I paid £6000 sterling - getting close to $7800 US… No trade-in, no factory deals, etc… Galling thing is it isn’t worth anything… There were outlets selling new DMP’s for £4500 while stocks last… I spoke to a dealer late last year and I asked they’re worth as a secondhand product on a trade in… Not interested !! Before they were discontinued, taking into account all their issues and constant firmware revisions, he said take off the VAT (20%) then divide by two = £2400 sterling, and, the price only applies if a customer buys a much more expensive new product…

That was before the DMP was discontinued… Recently it could be bought new while stocks last at 25% less than I paid for my DMP under two years ago… As a paying customer, the DMP for me, has been one sickening debacle its whole troubled lifespan …

12 Likes

In Australia my experience has been one of getting good trade-up deals, so the financials have not been anywhere near as burdensome as the UK experience. However I got so tired of PS Audio stuff breaking down or not working properly that - despite good deals on offer - I realized a good deal is not so much of a good deal when you consider the on-going frustration of ownership. I prefer to pay more and get stuff that works and provides an enjoyable frustration free user experience.

I talked to a high-end dealer only yesterday and he had a customer who bought a P20 and it’s broken down twice in only a few months. In the end I think he just got rid of it. Which validates my reason for not buying one. In my local small audiophile circle I don’t know anybody who has owned a PS product that hasn’t broken down. It’s a shame because the Company is so appealingly different in good ways that makes you want to cut them some slack.

7 Likes

Point of order. A laboratory experiment is supposed to be repeatable. Find me two DMP that repeatably behave in exactly the same way. Good luck with that experiment.

The DMP horse is dead. Perhaps we should stop flogging it.

1 Like

Paul did say he would make things right for anyone wanting to trade up the DMP to the next DMP 2 on the horizon. Of course, to those who can not live without sacd…well…they will be s*** out of luck…

5 Likes

All the problems I’ve had and still continue to have with my PSA equipment, I simply speak the truth… I have no desire to come to the forum spewing vitriol just for the hell of it, like some demented malcontent… I have spent well over 100k in 4 years… I want to be happy with my PSA rig, hell I’ve paid the money for the privilege, yes - it does sound excellent, incredible, but I should be spending most of my free time listening to music not arranging to have the equipment repaired…”again”!

I do get it that that other owners never experience any problems, which is fantastic for them, but that doesn’t do zilch for my situation… And, I realize equipment can develop a fault at any time but surely not to the extent mine has …! Anyway, I sold 1 pair of BHK300s!

10 Likes

That proves the connection to the internet is good. When you have a disk in the DMP and it does not show the cover art. Press the on button on the remote to see if it reverts to the first screen and than comes back to the second with the cover art. I have seen that happen when I play a disk that has not been stored on the SD card yet and it has to download it while i am playing the disk.

2 Likes

Do you think?

There is not even a grease spot where the horse used to be. :grin:

1 Like