End of the run for the DMP! What’s next?

Listed price in Germany one year ago, when i bought mine, was around 7,3k Euros. My best deal was 6,5k Euros and payment in installments. It’s not fully payed yet and worth less now than I still have to pay.

3 Likes

Unfortunate, being upside down on any financed product is painful. However even in the best of circumstances audio depreciates rapidly.

As with buying a new car, I expect to lose a lot of money on every audio purchase.

The result of the experiment should have been: not working as expected, continue research until it works.

Thanks, sixpack, I will try that tomorrow when I have time.

1 Like

That is not a problem, if you get what you pay for and using it gives you enjoyment for a reasonable time.

Tried it just now, no luck. Maybe with another CD tomorrow… On the other hand, if that is all that is not working, I can live with it, because I don’t really need it. But no SACD playback in 88,2/24 downsampling? No, not acceptable.

@Elk Or a buying motor home that depreciates at roughly $20k / yr. But I still don’t regret buying it either.

We all look at disposable income purchases in our own way. For me, audio, high performance cars/motorcycles, etc. are toys. If I cannot pay cash I cannot afford them. If they depreciate, so what? They are toys, not investments. If something better arrives it takes nothing away from my toy, it is the same gadget today as it was a year ago.

Motorhomes fascinate me. They hold no appeal for me, but those I know who have one absolutely love it. It is wonderful fun to share with others their passions and to learn about their interests.

1 Like

A fully updated Bridge II can perform the so-called second MQA unfold up to 192k. The Bridge II tops out at 192k for PCM generally, so the rare MQA files which would unfold to 352.8k or 384k in a DAC with a hardware MQA decoder (e.g., the Mytek Brooklyn) are processed in the Bridge II at 176.4k and 192k respectively.

1 Like

@Elk Agreed. I had a couple of fast motorcycles when I was young but quickly moved to race cars. The fastest bike was a Kawasaki 750cc two stroke triple with a bunch of mods. It would wheelie in any gear and was blazing fast in a straight line. It didn’t corner very well and had a penchant for trying to high speed wobble. I could see that if I kept going on the fast bikes I would most likely die. Had drag race cars first then oval track cars until just a few years ago. That’s when the stereo bug raised its head after not messing around much with it for the last 25 or 30 years which led me here. The way I look at it is as you do. It’s all disposable income purchases so they are therefore also disposable. The motor home is the same. We use it for a few long weekend trips a year and it stays in the garage when its not being used. There is no possible way to justify any of it except as a hobby.

Big two-strokes are distinctive animals. I bet that thing was a hoot.

I am close to the worst drag racer ever. I either bog or spin. The average golf cart gets better 60 foot times. Take a good second plus off of my time to get what the car can do.

Of course, my road cars are not setup for drag racing, but still.

It was big fun. I had expansion chambers on it so you probably could hear it coming for 3 miles. Still love the smell of bean oil.
I was no good at drag racing either. I had more fun building the cars and engines than racing them.
I built the circle track cars and engines too until the last 10 years or so. We won a lot of local / regional races and championships over the years. Always had hired drivers as I wasn’t to good at that driving either. Too analytical I guess. I always appreciate smooth drivers. You cant tell from watching them race how busy they are inside the machine. You can appreciate that being a driver with competition experience.
I was always interested in road racing but there was never anything close to me. I loved the early prototype cars. Jim Hall, the proto Jags, Porsche 917’s, etc.

cover art disappeared on my DMP when my internet connection was down even though the cover art is on the SD card. Fixed the internet connection and now everything works ok.
Good luck finding & fixing the gremlin.

1 Like

Thanks for clearing this up.

This is the most information I’ve read about the process.

+1 motorcycles!! +10 actually.

Yep. Entropy always wins.

What makes this hobby so compelling is that it (the high end, that is) is an “industry” built on cottage industries - each being the result of the vision and drive of an individualist.

If you want product line stability, buy a Ford. Oh, wait ! after 2020, no more sedans. Just the Mustang (and trucks and SUV’s)

I can’t count all of the gear I’ve owned that has been discontinued (Ayre CX-5e, to use an example from Paul’s neighbor in Boulder, CO) or become orphaned when the manufacturer went belly up (Counterpoint). Other highly-regarded companies that are no longer with us include: Hovland, Acoustat, Alon, California Audio Labs, Dayton-Wright, Dunlavy, Dynaco, Futterman, SAE, Tandberg, to reel off a few.

An interesting compendium can be found here: http://audiotools.com/en_dead_fl.html

“Buy the ticket - take the ride” (Hunter S. Thompson)

And the Focus crossover and the $450,000 GT.

Except sometimes buying a mass produced item doesn’t improve the odds either. I’ve got two F-250 Ford pickups. Both 2013 model year. Both 4WD. Both bought new. One has the famous “F-250 death wobble” (do a quick google search) and the other one does not. After trying to sort it out for almost a year there has been no real headway. Short version is I have a truck with less than 30,000 miles that cannot be safely driven faster than 65 MPH on anything except a freshly paved smooth as glass road. The dealer has been helpful but the official Ford response is"we never heard if it before"

I stand corrected. Cool machine, that GT.

That’s a weird one - and most frustrating, I’m sure.