EOI : Wanted PS Audio equipment

Dear PS Audio users,

After comparing Devialet to PS Audio, I was interested in acquiring used PS Audio equipment with native Australian power supply. (DS + Bridge, Memory Player, Sprout, perhaps Phono).

The result being a desire to own PS Audio gear. The DS drove European and British speakers (802d’s) better than Devialet (400 mono’s and 800 mono’s, respectively). The PS Audio used 400wpc and 250wpc, respectively (vs 400 and 800). I had wanted to buy into Devialet - the simplicity, flexibility & technology appeal directly to my way of thinking.

The DS sounded sweeter even when operating with lesser amplifiers.

Unfortunately, it seems that no 230v PS Audio is available for sale by existing Forum owners.

Very interesting to understand that Arnie & Bascom will be replacing reference Constellation products in their personal systems. Interested in all possible details, including pricing.

Thanks for listening, and thanks to PS Audio for providing an awesome forum.

With Thanks,

D.

Thanks and yes, that is all true, though I believe both Arnie and Bascom will have the stereo versions in their homes, replacing their Constellation products, it is I, the major nut job with the monos, though that might change for them over time.

I do not know pricing in Australia which will certainly be higher than what is in the States, for obvious reasons. Here in the US the stereo and monos have the same pricing structure, $7,499 each.

Warranty is 3-years on the amplifier, 1-year on the tubes. Our distributor at Magenta in Australia will be importing them and distributing through PS dealers in Australia.

Thanks Paul.

I understand confirmed Australian pricing is AU$11,399 per block (stereo or mono).

And the last year has not been kind to the Australian $ in relation to the US$.

Thanks Elk - yes, depreciation of the AUD has not been kind to buyers of new Hi-Fi equipment made in USA.

Elk said And the last year has not been kind to the Australian $ in relation to the US$.
It depends on what angle you look at it from. As an owner of hardware that was purchased new in USD, a falling AUD exchange rate preserves the local re-sale value of that hardware. I'd be happy to see the AUD exchange rate keep heading South. I'd also like to see our interest rate head North. However both tend to travel in the same direction.

I am considering the BHK mono blocks but the specs don’t sufficiently convince me yet, highly complimentary reviews will no doubt come, but unless I can be convinced they represent an upgrade path over my existing hardware it’s hard to justify splashing the cash on them. But I am tempted never-the-less, but only because I like the brand.

Thanks but what are you comparing them to? I can tell you that specs just don’t tell you squat. This amp must be heard to be believed. Really. But I understand it’s a lot of money, a lot of trust and we’re a long ass way away from where you live, my friend! I do hope you get a chance to audition one.

Paul McGowan said Thanks but what are you comparing them to? I can tell you that specs just don't tell you squat. This amp must be heard to be believed. Really. But I understand it's a lot of money, a lot of trust and we're a long ass way away from where you live, my friend! I do hope you get a chance to audition one.
I believe there might be a couple pair of DM Halcro which form brodrijc's listening baseline.

Buying PS Audio in Oz does involve a lot of trust; or, to exaggerate, persistence bordering on determination.

Despite visiting numerous dealers spread over 50kms (I started with an extremely broad mind about what I wanted, across the board), the only piece of PS Audio kit I heard was a Directstream.

One dealer was very good, and all things close enough to equal, they’ll get the business…

I think my persistent enthusiasm and talk of the upcoming BHK 250 amplifiers rubbed off on one dealer, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they bring in some of the forthcoming amps to allow auditions (to explain, I’m judging on the information I have, which involves a guess about characters involved and information presented, and I could not be keener, based on the information I have).

Might also explain a paucity of second hand gear for sale in Oz.

I am impressed with your determination and tenacity. I wish you success in developing some local enthusiasm for the brand. This would be a boon for all of your audio loving compatriots.

dvg_au said . . . it was apparent that little knowledge or enthusiasm resided for the PS Audio gear within their aggressive 'guru'.
Unfortunately, gurus of all stripes are typically closed-minded and have only a single message to push. Trying to get them to recognize there is a broader world out there is maddening at best.

The intelligent sound guru / salesperson has probably forgotten more about Audio than I’ll ever learn (I’m starting sooooo much later, so there is no problem there, I’m not attached to knowing more, I just want to get gear that sounds good, and be able to say I’ve been financially responsible).

In retrospect, going for the simplest explanation, some of the dealers might be time poor, very focussed on revenue by the owner of the business, and apparently seem most interested in pushing floor stock or brands that might have higher margins.

Makes it very tough.

A distributor only gets so much per box; the dealer is “incentivised” to sell gear other than PS Audio (usually their exclusive imported gear with much higher margins), unless a consumer pretty much demands it; and everyone else is a million miles away and prevented from supplying by regional encoding differences (power supplies; dealer agreements) which are intended to look after the local dealers - who don’t hold or demonstrate adequate volumes of floor stock !

I reckon that in home demonstrations by existing owners are more likely to “sell” a lot of PS Audio gear !

In defence of the dealers, selling enough gear to cover wages is no doubt a challenge.

Makes me think that a secure room, unattended except remotely via comms, and setup with gear would be one approach… Rent and gear are expensive, but nothing like the persistent drag & pressure that are wages. This is probably impractical, too.

Another reason why products like Sprout are so important. True gateway products, and low enough capital investments that they could go into the chain stores like JB Hi-Fi.

I’ve ordered :

• Sprout (already have this)

• Memory Player Transport

• Directstream DAC

• Bridge

The DAC is due any day now.

The Memory Player Transport should follow very soon thereafter.

Bridge II will arrive after its good and ready.

So, this is thread is superseded unless someone has some P5 / P10’s or BHK’s ( wishful thinking ! ) they want to sell off.

Happy days !

The PS Audio brand is well supported in Australia by the Distributor. I also believe their pricing structure is very competitive with US market retail pricing. If a local dealer doesn’t carry a demo example of a PS Audio product I’m sure the Distributor can make appropriate arrangements in that regard.

The supply of PS Audio hardware into the used market in Australia is very low, as the OP found. As an owner of many new PS Audio equipments very few of my pieces have been sold into the used market here. For example, I’ve owned my Power Director 4.7 for over 14 years. I was offered good money for it, but I chose not to sell. However the pieces I have tried to sell I got very little interest in. I tried to sell my DS, nobody wanted it so I kept it.

I’m probably a typical owner, tend to keep quality gear for longer.

And finally, yes, the OP was correct. My baseline for comparison with BHK power amp is Halcro. If BHK is as good as the Halcro it will be a bargain at it’s price point. I hope the Distributor sells a truck load of them here (I should also mention that the PS Audio distributor in Australia also owns Halcro, perhaps the BHK might eat into their potential Halcro market?? Either way they make the sale).

Good time to sell your Directstream, judging by today’s Stereo.net.au

Black DS with bridge asking for $6k ($8.5k retail), with 24 months warranty to run sold within the day.

Green Machine said Dear PS Audio users,

After comparing Devialet to PS Audio, I was interested in acquiring used PS Audio equipment with native Australian power supply. (DS + Bridge, Memory Player, Sprout, perhaps Phono).

The result being a desire to own PS Audio gear. The DS drove European and British speakers (802d’s) better than Devialet (400 mono’s and 800 mono’s, respectively). The PS Audio used 400wpc and 250wpc, respectively (vs 400 and 800). I had wanted to buy into Devialet - the simplicity, flexibility & technology appeal directly to my way of thinking.

The DS sounded sweeter even when operating with lesser amplifiers.

Unfortunately, it seems that no 230v PS Audio is available for sale by existing Forum owners.

Very interesting to understand that Arnie & Bascom will be replacing reference Constellation products in their personal systems. Interested in all possible details, including pricing.

Thanks for listening, and thanks to PS Audio for providing an awesome forum.

With Thanks,

D.

Hi ‘Green Machine’

i think you might also inhabit SNA, currently there is an entire PS Audio system up for sale, DirectStream DAC (might have sold), PerfectWave DAC II, NewWave Phono etc… Perfect place for you feed your asperation.

Thanks Frank

Indeed, these two Green Machines are one; it is me on StereoNet.

Been in contact with TBO, to point out for the buyer of the Directstream, that his unit probably had 24 months warranty to run, which he appreciated.

Believe all the advertised gear are DACs : Directstream DAC; Perfectewave DAC II; Nuwave DAC.

He’s moving onto the Berkeley Reference DAC !

I think I’m going to keep powder dry for when all these Beta Testers pump the market full of second hand AU Power Beta units (not merely unlikely, but I understand literally impossible…) … Ah, I mean keep powder dry in case a pair of BHK Mono’s does actually drive a pair of Salon2’s better than John Curl 1 parasound amps I’m currently using with the existing PSB Sync Ones that will soon go to a second system / HT…

and leave the Vinyl thing for “later”, especially since Bascom has pretty clearly articulated what he feels will be the advantage of adding a BHK pre-amp (I’m still praying it may include crossover tech, as the ultimate incentive to upgrade amps; then I might be able to keep the JC’s & bi-amp on occasion).

Currently trialling Kubala Sosna cables which appear to have fixed my cable problem, balancing detail with Bass.

Happy Camper !!

But, moth to the flame, just in case I followed TBO up with a request to let me know if a Phono will be sold.

Thanks for the Heads up !!

EDIT : TBO is selling all three of his PS Audio DAC’s but separate to the listings, keeping a Nuwave Phono Converter.

are there any 230v Beta products coming to Oz? I would have put my hand up but I read in one of Paul’s posts that none were going overseas because of shipping costs, support, having to get them back if something fails etc. Easier to do in the USA.

I understand the list is very restricted, and I understand it filled up some time ago.

If it needs any clarification, the above reference to after-market sales of mono’s I thought was pretty obviously me joking around - 1) I didn’t think there were any mono’s coming to Oz (“literally impossible” if no mono’s coming), and 2) if mono’s were coming, who would sell them, let alone a wide choice of sellers !

I already did put my hand up (despite the note about shipping costs, etc) as soon as I read elsewhere in the forum that some time ago (maybe February) there was still an opportunity to participate - just in case ! An instant reaction not unlike that of even newer member DoggieHowser from Oz did yesterday.

But, alas, too little, too late, and too newbie on my part. :slight_smile:

It’s amazing, that so many so ready to buy these things without hearing them - I think it’s a testament to how much everyone thinks of the Amplified Three (Mr King, Mr Nudell, Mr McGowan) and how trustworthy people assess them to be - to simply hear their point of view, their representations, their passion and want to be involved. Of course, the existing product line-up and history of success doesn’t hurt…

I’ve a believer, although I’ve now mentioned the BHK’s to four separate dealers that this thing has to be special - just assess the people involved, the claims involved, and how important for them to deliver on their promises. The best response I’ve garnered is an openness to verify when the times comes. ( Existing supply relationships are hard to displace / have inertia. I really like my dealer and would recommend them without hesitation )

Yet, among the acquainted customer base / forum members, there’s a multiplicity ready to hand over the dollars; without hearing a note !

Great stuff - nice to be even proximate to some unbridled enthusiasm, watching the launch unfold and waiting for the viewpoints of beta testers about to roll in. Very exciting, cannot wait to hear the opinions of the lucky few starting Monday next week.

Cheers to all.

I do not remember but I think a few will be going overseas, just not sure where. I’ll try and check but it’s now the weekend and Monday I am heading to Europe so I may be at a disadvantage.