Ethernet Cables and Sound

My experience too if different cables are used ,it´s the last or should we say the first meter that counts the most. My search for ethernet cabling stopped when I installed BJC cat6´s all the way.

Apologies if this is the wrong forum to ask…. I have been using an EtherREGEN for a couple of years and like what I hear. Downsides are that it died within 12 months but was repaired under warranty, it runs so hot you could cook an egg on it (I have mine on its side), and it has died again. Not so good for reliability in my own experience. Recommendations for an alternative that sounds good and is reliable?
Many thanks :pray:

Have you looked into the English Electric 8Switch? I have one, but can’t evaluate it’s effect on my system. This is because I installed both it and my new DirectStream DAC at about the same time. The system sounds much better than before, but I can’t say how much is due to the 8Switch vs the new DAC. The 8Switch runs very cool.

2 Likes

I see you have a Nucleus+, so you can temporarily either go to DS DAC via LAN or via USB. If you’re looking to stay within LAN domain, as @softlight64 noted, get a high quality switch. I have been using Melco S100, and it sounds so good, I removed Matrix X-SPDIF2.

1 Like

Thank you @Serhan and @softlight64 !
Presently, I’ve just inserted the Ethernet cable directly into my Nucleus+, as the EtherREGEN isn’t working. The cable is long, but essentially running directly from my modem router (not sharing). When it was working, the EtherREGEN really cleaned up the signal, so I’m looking for a similar device. I’ll look into your recommendations. I’m surprised that @Serhan removed the Matrix x-SPDIF2, as it serves a different function, being downstream from the Nucleus+ (unless you are using the Bridge2?).

If and when my Farad powered EtherRegen breaks, I will try this new ethernet switch from SR. Might be a good one as I have some of their other UEF components. It costs $2300, but that’s not that much more than the EtherRegen Farad combo.

3 Likes

Thank you @waymanchen11 ! I also found this review of the Melco S100 (which included comparison with the English Electric 8 switch)
https://the-ear.net/review-hardware/melco-s100-network-switch

The last line kind of sums it up! Expensive switches, but you can’t make the sound better than the signal received, only keep it as pure as you can.

1 Like

I have a fan on top of my EtherREGEN. I hope that helps extend it’s life.

I have the EtherREGEN and I’m curious to know how the unit died on you. Did you notice issue prior, like long buffering, dropouts, sound quality loss or did it just up and die one day?

Thanks,
Rob

1 Like

My EtherRegen runs hot, but I used thermal tape and attached two heat sinks. It makes it run cooler and more reliably .

1 Like

Hi All, and @Excalibur
I ended up on the audiophilestyle.com forum and learned a lot!! Alex Crispi (owner of Uptone) set me on the right path and it turns out that the “audiophile” ethernet cable I was using just stopped working - weird, but a no-name ethernet cable worked.
Here’s where it gets interesting… following Alex’s advice, I ended up using the etherREGEN B port to my Bridge II which sounds better than my entire Matrix set up - but ONLY after I removed the USB cable from my Nucleus+ (also on advice from Alex). I’m kinda devastated, after spending heaps on the Matrix set up (Matrix, Farad 3 with upgraded DC cable, RAL HDMI, then replaced by AQ Dragon 48).
So, the upshot is that the etherREGEN is working fine - my mis-diagnosis. I didn’t expect that an ethernet cable that had been working fine would fail, but that’s the only part of the chain that isn’t working.

5 Likes

For those that feel too aggressively that Ethernet cables don’t matter with error correction, be careful. I moved a PC monitor to my wife’s system, but used a different Display Port cable. I put a different monitor in my system and used the old cable I was using at 165 Hz refresh rate and moved the “new” cable to my wife’s system. Remember too that new PC monitors can go to 240 Hz and DP 1.3 and DP 1.4 provide the extra bandwidth required for 240Hz at 1440p. Get a new gen DP DP1.4 revision cable!

I put the DP (unknown claimed spec compliance) cable in they sent and the display that was running at 165 Hz now won’t run over 85 Hz! Yep, the infamous screen flashing stuff. Even at 85 Hz, the screen would flash an error every few minutes. Only at 60 Hz would it remain steady and not have error blanks.

I figure that the new monitor, being a 165 Hz display, the manufacturer would send a VESA certified DP design cable to run at that speed so why not use it? I figure they like defective monitor returns when it is the cable! Stupid is as stupid does seem applicable?

I ordered a VESA certified DP cable and bingo, we now are running 165 Hz no problems at all. The cables are SHORT (1-1.5 meter) so how can they really change things? They do if the cable is outside the FEC (Forward Error Correction) recovery systems built-into the NIC system. We can only dig data at about an -6dB ACR ratio (signal is 6 dB below the noise floor) but that is the limitation! Use a small AWG wire, poor shielding and poor RL (insulation dimensional consistency) and we can screw it up for sure. The offending cable used too small an AWG (I cut it up) and was also too long for that AWG size. The RL performance can only be tested for.

Cable does matter even for digital if the error correction parameters are overstepped. FEC isn’t always going to get your digit, so do you feel lucky punk, well do 'ya? I did, I got punked out, OUCH. You really don’t want error correction active much as this means you are running near empty on BW overhead.

Best,
Galen

5 Likes

Have to correct myself - the Ethernet cable IS working again, and back to being connected to my ER. So, not sure what happened before with the ER/cable combo when my sound stopped (system worked without ER), but it’s all functioning again.

I bought this heat sink set up from After Dark, which has definitely cooked it down, especially if I run a fan over it

1 Like

For those who is considering the ethernet cable for streaming I highly recommend the Pangea ethernet cable.
I just got two box of ethernet cable from Pangea , they are decent and seem like very good quality, just try to plug them in to replace some Cat 5e unbranded cable for my streaming and NAS

I need to admit that I was a software developer worked for Nortel network couple years before getting laid off by 2008 then moving to Blade Network before it was acquired by Lenovo, doing layer 2 protocols implementation, I was skeptically believing that the cable can alter the sound quality, I just believe in bit perfect and reject of what opposed to IEEE, IETF’s rfc have documented. In my system I have several kind of patch cord from cat 5 to cat 8, both brand and unbranded , the maximum bucks spent to the cable to me was not exceeded 12-20 bucks, and just within that, however when I looking for the turntable RCA to replace my stock cable, I was just lurking on some power cables and ethernet, they are looking really nice and decent, so just try since they are within my budget.

Took one 1,25m turntable RCA with $99 and two ethernet for 45.99 /each, they were just delivered today. OK let try them on

This is the most interesting part of the cable story, when I replace the old cat5e with the new Pangea , I change both NAS to switch and from the wall to the TEAC-NT 505 DAC, I don’t really expect much for the sound quality since I keep thinking it is with bits by bits stream with sequence and guaranty by the layer 2 ethernet frame for the order and retransmit the lost frame base on the checksum and frame sequence numbers.

To my surprise the sound is more appealing , clean and sharp with edge of treble , bass is more tighter , mid tone is better sweet , sound stage more open. that the true and maybe some of you have experience this moment I’m having now. wow , the moment is true with sound quality is real improved

Hang on, let do a A/B checking, …
A few moment later, Yep , there is a true difference with the network cable, why ???
Thinking… but can’t explain, using the cable with the PC and copy some music files while Wireshark running in background, double check with cable and cable, just the same packets observing, nothing changed. (???) So headache now with this analysis.

OK, I stop listening , shutdown the system , unplug the power , wait for a moment, taking a cup of tea, go to WC some minutes and then get them back ON to see if there is something , some factors that make the difference other than the ethernet cable ?

Now listen again, stay calm and relax, think of nowhere, nothing just listen to the rig

Again the favorite Allan Taylor album is more open, detail and deep with the bass, his tone seem more warm and lot of feeling, two hours with repeat again and again the album, I found the music is more musicality, more feeling with detail separation in mid, high and low bass, the sound stage are more open.

I tried many ethernet cables from friends from AQ vodka, to high end over $XXX but find no different.
they are all good but not like the Pangea Audio ethernet cable that I happened to buy.
I believe without the P3 PowerPlant I just had into the system, I may not hearing the sound like now, so P3 has constituted to the good result partly.

I will come back again tomorrow to see if that illusion today still there, or they are gone ?

7 Likes

I am curious as to how the Pangea holds up to another highly regarded budget ethernet Cat 6 cable from BlueJeans Cable:

BlueJeans Cable Cat 6 Patch Cord

1 Like

I am looking forward to reading your review! :thinking:

How about the WW Platinum 8 Ethernet cable that I am using. I have compared a lot of cables, but this WW is hard to beat. Very transparent and clear sounding.
https://store.wireworldcable.com/products/platinum-starlight-ethernet-cat8-cable?variant=33092093132

1 Like

My digital system is Kaput, so some else may want to step up and share their experience. :face_holding_back_tears:

Kaput as in broken or Kaput in as you opted out?