Even and odd numbers

Me,too. DSD always on 96, BHK Pre on even numbers only. I thought it was just me . . .

1 Like

Holy smokes- and I thought it was just me. In the car for temp and for volume adjustments- even numbers only.

1 Like

The volume adjustment on BHK Pre seems to require you do in even number increments (lower or higher), and I’m not joking this time. :thinking:

1 Like

I adjust the volume on my desktop system using its remote, which is set to increase/decrease by 2 steps for every click on the buttons. The system volume level was initially 25, so I have become an ‘odd value’ guy. Works for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

My BHK preamp has always been a wee bit noisier than it should be. The best mitigation is to dim out the display, but I also find that the odd number settings are noisier than the evens.

2 Likes

I’m equal opportunity, I do both even and odd. Oh, wait, that could be misconstrued, I like all volume settings, that’s what I mean!

1 Like

I’m a prime number guy as well, But then I did my undergrad independent study on Riemann, specifically Riemannian geometry.

1 Like

Impressive. Fascinating and difficult stuff.

Temperature settings are one number increments for me whether house or car. We are definitely an eclectic bunch of coconuts.

2 Likes

Yeah it sounds impressive but if I had to talk about it today, I would be hopelessly lost. I was fortunate to attend a small liberal arts college where most of the instructors were PhDs. There was no research so they loved to teach. It was pure math only as the school didn’t have an engineering curriculum. If you live in that world for four years with a steadily increasing diet of more complex subjects, you can understand some weird stuff. We started with 18 Math majors my freshman year. Only two of us graduated with a BS in Mathematics.

I remain impressed. His work is incredible. My trivial dabbling did not get me far in understanding it other than on a superficial level.

Thank goodness my math stopped at differential equations, and do not ask me anything about it as my brain can only handle even and odd numbers nowadays.

1 Like

Even is the correct answer, my (mild) OCD would not have it any other way!

Best,
-JP

1 Like

I tell guests that I shake my martinis 31 times, which is always met with why? A: It must be prime, 29 is too few, and 37 is way too many. I get various looks.

2 Likes

I have no idea what volume number I use. I keep the display off.

2 Likes

Wow! It sounds so courageous to me, something like eating with eyes wide shut! I could be distracted from music wondering all the time at what volume level the system is playing.

1 Like

It’s freedom! Not as good as when the kids move out…but close. :wink:

1 Like

I set mine with the remote and rarely look at the LCD, which is somewhere between 16 and 42, depending on the music, my mood and if my wife is home or not!

2 Likes

Audiophile rule #1.

3 Likes

After reading this thread, and thinking about my setup, I have two different sets of numbers. For my analog side I listen to odd numbers. And on the digital side I listen to even numbers. We are a strange group of people, but it’s so fun!

3 Likes