Finally....PerfectWave SACD Transport

SIMPLICITY is ALWAYS the BEST path to take regarding Audiophile gear. IMHO :slight_smile:

I forgot to mention that we did go back and fourth between the DMP and PST with this same Dragon cable and it took maybe 5 seconds and my brother said, “Boy the DMP sure sounds flat and dull. What happened.” I said " Nothing, you just heard the PST first, if you hadn’t listen to the PST, everything would be fine, the DMP will sound as glorious as ever before." The DMP is better than just about every transport out there, only the PST, can I use the term, “blows it away.” The DMP is already on it’s way back to PS Audio.

2 Likes

Curious as to whether or not you compared the RAL HDMI vs. the Dragon HDMI ??
At 3.5X the cost of the RAL, do you feel the Dragon is anywhere close to sounding 3.5X better then the RAL ??

Yes, I did. While the difference is not as great as between the transports, the differences are similar. The RAL is a nosier cable and obscure more of the finer details of a recording. The highs are not as pure and you hear less air around images. The bass is not as rich or tight as the Dragon. I can’t really put a difference in numbers or cost to it as that can vary from systems to systems. Only that if you heard the Dragon, even in a modest system, I’m sure you would not want to go back to the RAL.

2 Likes

Was/is the RAL your 2nd choice to connect the PST to the May KTE Dac ?

No, I do not have the May. A friend of mine has, and I’ll listen to it when it breaks in some. Then I can test the Ral, the Dragon, and the WireWorld Platinum on it. That’s later on. We’ll see if the cables matters with the May. My feeling is the May will not sound as good as my upgraded DS. I will find out soon.

2 Likes

As someone who owns both (and yes upgraded and broken in) I think you will find that not to be the case unless like Al you just prefer the voicing of the upgraded DS.

1 Like

That may well be. I like the live powerful sound the DS gives me, but I also like the feeling of ease it also has. Some components gives you a lot of transparency and resolution, but can be a bit shouty and fatiguing. It comes down to how it balances my system.

3 Likes

Clifton

I’m very sensitive to shouty components of any type and have disposed of several DAC’s and speakers that proved to be that way contrary to their rave reviews. I have run the May in the main system now at both houses with two different sets of electronics and five different pairs of speakers including a pair with Beryllium tweeters and the May has passed the test with all of them. I don’t find it to be any more forward or fatiguing than either the DS (before and after upgrade) or the Aqua La Voce S3 (also an FPGA based DAC). In the end in your system you may prefer one over the other but if you don’t go in to the comparison with an open mind then the decision may already be made. Both of my systems use 6SN7 based preamps and SS amps though in one I have the option of the BHK 250. With the DS and the Aqua the AES/EBU is the preferred input but with the Holo it is the USB. I tried all three with the same two cables.

2 Likes

OK Jack, I get your point. When I really get down to evaluate something, any preconceived thought goes out the window. Curiosity is more the word I go into it. Good or bad I will not falsify it. The May has so many followings, for them it doesn’t matter what say. What really matters is that the May work in their systems and they are happy with it. Who knows, the May might blow me away and I end up getting one. As I told Phil, that is not out of the question.

1 Like

Not sure what you think my point is Clifton. The DS Sr. was and still is a very good and much beloved DAC and even more so now that the transformers have been upgraded to what Ted intended to start with. But as with all things in digital audio time marches on in terms of parts and technology otherwise there wouldn’t be a Mk II in the works. In the mean time other companies have already taken advantage of the newer and more powerful FPGA units as well as beefier power supplies in a single chassis. While the May uses a different processing technology it also uses a vastly more powerful and separate power supply like Ted has planned for his statement DAC. These are just plain and simple facts and have nothing to do with which DAC you will prefer in you own system. Several of us have made the comparison and decided to go in one direction but you could easily go in another like Al did but his favorite costs many multiples of either of the DAC’s we are talking about. I have no intentions of getting rid of the DS Sr. it will just move to another system. It is in fact like a comfortable piece of furniture or clothing in that it just makes you feel good and doesn’t do anything wrong. Five years later and it’s still here.

1 Like

Forgive me Jack, When you mentioned

1 Like

No problem as this is what I was reacting to " My feeling is the May will not sound as good as my upgraded DS." As I am now like Al and rarely sell off things especially with the Covid shipping issues I made my judgements on the different DAC’s with the knowledge that they wouldn’t be leaving and even did the upgrade with Wayne just for comparison purposes. I suspect that my system is different than yours so you may chose differently than I did and that is fine as in the end it’s all about what we hear and not what anybody else hears. So what Brett, John, Phil, myself and others decided has nothing to do with what you hear in your system so do what is best for you.

2 Likes

Same here, I clear my mind by centering my self, and allow the music to flow through me.

Good way to evaluate all things in life. Let go of your preconceived notions, and allow the truth to reveal itself to you.

1 Like

Is this PST only turn on with the remote control only? The lighted button on the upper left don’t seem to do anything except light up. Mine also came with firmware version 2.4.2 so I don’t know what the other versions sounds like.

Esoteric just called me and the unit has been repaired. Now they will run it through a number of tests to make sure everything is working properly and ship it back to me in a few days. Hooray!!
When I get it back, then I can be sure how it compares with my PST. As of now I really feel the PST sounds more incredible!!

1 Like

@jamesh did the latest PST firmware get placed on the proper servers? My unit is at 2.3.1, and doesn’t detect a newer version over wifi. I didn’t plan on using another method and am confused why wifi isn’t seeing it.

Same initial impressions, the PST sounded slightly better after updating the firmware.

I’ll check with Barry now. Last I checked he was going to have one of the dev guys look into it but I haven’t heard anything since.

thanks, I accidentally deleted my post, but since my earwax flush it’s impossible for me to formally compare…but I was pretty sure is sounded better when I first listened, and at times, more than a little better

Which Esoteric model are you referring to ?