FS: KRELL KAV-400xi [Sold]

FS: Krell KAV-400xi Integrated amplifier with Theater Throughput

I purchased this in 2011 as New, Old Stock from a Doctor out in California who had a number of these in storage and I have been using it as my main amplifier ever since, first with a Cullen Circuits modified DLIII, then with a PerfectWave MKII and most recently with my DirectStream DAC. Used it mostly as a power amp with the Theater Throughput and balance interconnects from the DirectStream. More than enough power to drive my pair of elderly Legacy Focus speakers.

Have never had any issue with this unit until recently when I started to unwind my collection of stereo gear as part of my Retirement / downsizing plans.

Normally, this amp has been dead quiet but recently noticed a bit of a hum at the speakers after the unit was left on for several days without any input from the DAC. The hum seemed to be a bit louder coming from the left speaker than from the right. I disconnected the interconnects from the DAC to the amp and the hum was still present. I disconnected the amp from my Premier Power Plant and plugged it directly into my Soloist outlet at the wall. Still a bit of a hum. Unplugged the unit and let it cool down overnight ( it runs warm but never hot ) and plugged it back into the Soloist. The hum was still there but at a much lower intensity, noticeable on the left channel but almost negligible on the right. I took the Krell out of service and replaced it with an older Hafler 9270 amp. Turning the amp on, there was no hum heard at the speakers which more or less confirmed that the issue was with the Krell amp.

Had all intentions of trying to sell this amp before this issue surfaced, obviously at a somewhat higher price point.

Hoping there is someone out there who appreciates the build quality of KRELL products, maybe has some idea of what might be wrong with this unit, can fix it and return it to a desired status either for their own use or for resale. As stated in the topic description this unit was made in the USA.

I don’t have the time to send this unit off for servicing and am trying to downsize so am offering this amp for sale “AS-IS”.

Silver unit in ‘almost new’ condition. One small mark on left top rail near the back. Remote and power cable ‘as new’.

Original box, packing material and quick start guide included. 200 W @8 ohms, 400 W @ 4.

Asking $225 and will include all Paypal and shipping fees with sale in CONUS only.

hello, very interested, how can I contact you?

thanks,

Kodi41

POSTED June 6:

Administrator, please mark this term as SOLD!

Sold to Kodi41…It was a pleasure talking to you and selling you my Krell.

I know I have found it a good home and I hope it brings you many years of listening pleasure.

regards,

aerlpam

Great Guy to deal with so far. Very nice phone conversation, I actually enjoyed it, and I hate talking on the phone.

I am very excited to receive the unit, I luv a challenge, and fix her I will, mark my words, might even make her better- time will tell.

I have a thought- my PS Audio Delta 250’s running the low end of my Maggies and the Krell running the mids and tweeters. hmmm?

Thank you sir, you are a very nice person to speak with and deal with. (he had to instruct me how to make a pay pal payment w/o ebay)

looking forward to speaking again whence she arrives,

kodi41 music-078_gif

The Krell has arrived!!! music-078_gif

This is to let you all know Paul is an outstanding member of this community. He is a man of his word. I received the Krell Kav-400xi EXACTLY as promised - a day sooner then expected. I could not be more pleased.

Have no doubts with what Paul writes, if he says it, it is as he stated- have no doubts.

Thank you Paul, honesty goes a long way with me, and I thank you for it.

BTW, check yer PM, think Ill buy the speaker cables as well.

Kodi41

Great when things go right and expectations are exceeded. We love it. This Paul fellow sounds like the right stuff and glad he’s part of our community.smiley-music005_gif

No doubt, Paul. Paul is a great example of human engineering. 103_gifHe knows what I mean by this. LOL

I couldn’t agree more, now I have to decide which way to go with my maggies, right now the low end is all Odyssey- the upper end is Krell.

Does PS Audio service/upgrade their older equipment (as in my 250 Delta’s)? Every now and then when I turn them on they have a loud pop/ thump. I don’t use them much now a days due to this, as it is a very loud signal, and I don’t want damaged drivers.

Edit: OH and BTW, the Krell seriously outperforms the Odyssey, of this, I was very very surprised, granted, I have the std. Odyssey Stratos version, I was still very surprised. One look at the two units and well…understated is all I can say about the Krell. I wont compare the 250 Deltas till they are fixed. All be it, you could cook breakfast on the Krell after she sounds good, (very sterile when cold) The Odyssey never gets hot to the touch and sounds better then the Krell, till the Krell warms up and then it’s all she wrote- Krell hands down. I suspect this to be the class A circuitry with in the Krell.

kodi41 said No doubt, Paul. Paul is a great example of human engineering. 103_gifHe knows what I mean by this. LOL

I couldn’t agree more, now I have to decide which way to go with my maggies, right now the low end is all Odyssey- the upper end is Krell.

Does PS Audio service/upgrade their older equipment (as in my 250 Delta’s)? Every now and then when I turn them on they have a loud pop/ thump. I don’t use them much now a days due to this, as it is a very loud signal, and I don’t want damaged drivers.

We do work on our older equipment with few exceptions. Contact our service department.