FS: Sonore Signature Series Rendu - [SOLD]

Up for sale is my beloved Sonore Signature Series Rendu. I’m selling due to a forced system downgrade. I’m moving and no longer have the space for a 2-channel setup. This is a state of the art UPnP/DLNA based source component. It will handle all popular audio formats including support for double rate DSD and raw DSD output via the I²S output. The SSR is the only device I know of that will do this other than the Directstream Memory Player, but that is $6000. Technical information about the SSR can be found here:

http://www.rendu.sonore.us/signature-series-rendu.html

These are extremely rare to pop up on the used market. I think only 100 of these were ever manufactured. Included is the original box and packing materials for a safe delivery to you. If you purchase at my asking price I will include several extras that take the sound quality of this device even further. At my asking price I will include a galvanically isolated fiber optic network adapter. This device galvanically isolates the ethernet signal. It works exactly like PS Audio’s LANRover except it’s used with ethernet, not USB. This means no noise from your computer or other devices connected to your home’s network will reach the Sonore SSR and ultimately your DAC. This device is plug-n-play. There is nothing that needs to be setup in software. Just plug it in and you’re set to go. I will include instructions on how to properly set up the hardware if you’re a bit confused, but it’s not difficult. I’m also including a linear power supply for the fiber optic network adapter. This was custom made for me and replaces the cheap stock power supply so that the signal reaching the Sonore SSR is pure, ultra low noise and clean. I’m also including a high quality Belden/BlueJeans ethernet cable and AudioQuest Pearl HDMI cable. So if you already own a Direcstream DAC you’ll have everything you need to set this combination of equipment up for amazing audio quality.

Price: - This is now SOLD

PM me here or email me at Seegs108@yahoo.com if you have questions or if you’d like to purchase.

Yes, the title is a bold claim for sure. However I²S is by far the best sounding input on the Direcstream and there are so few I²S output based components on the market. The Sonore Signature Series Rendu was an all-out attempt at making the absolute best sounding I²S source that is currently possible and the results speak for themselves. In Ted Brady’s Directstream DAC review (review linked to below), Ted had this to say about the Directstream and Sonore SSR combo setup:

It was an audiophile’s best dream, an audio lover’s best attempt of heaven on earth, a contender for one of two or three best audio listening sessions of my life… the DirectStream now exploded into colors, tones, rhythms, clarity, absurdly accurate image density, and overall musicality that I’ve maybe never heard before. Why? The Signature Rendu is clearly a special piece, but it needs a partner, and the DirectStream danced with it like they have been secretly practicing every dance style for 30 years.

Review:

Why does it sound this good? I’ll let the engineers of the SSR explain why. For context people asked why the SSR sounds better than their cheaper products:

Hi folks, let me give some technical information about the differences between the Rendu and the Signature Rendu. The Signature Rendu uses a transformer which is ~4 times the price of the transformer in the Rendu. The Signature Rendu uses (2) oscillators (clock circuits) which are ~10 times the price of the ones in the Rendu. The Signature Rendu comes in a beautiful custom chassis (made in USA) costing ~6 times more than the Rendu chassis. OK, so above you can get an idea on some of the parts costs increases. Here are the technical details which make the Signature Rendu sound better: 1. the transformer is a high quality Plitron Toroid, and it is cased in a sub-enclosure to guard against EM leakage. The power supply is more robust, using special ultra fast/ultra soft diodes, has more smoothing capacitance, and uses premium quality parts in all positions. The Signature Rendu adds an additional output-reclocking board. This board holds the oscillators, the isolators, and the re-clocking and SPDIF/I2S output circuitry. This board is the key to the performance increase over the regular Rendu. The output board is isolated from all noise generated on the Ethernet receiving board (high speed processor noise). On the output board clean clock signals are generated without interference from the Ethernet board. All signals are re-clocked just before output from the clean clocks. -Barrows

As Barrows mentioned the output board in the signature was an all out attempt at getting the lowest noise, lowest jitter output we know how to do. The S/PDIF output circuit is very unusual producing a significantly cleaner, lower jitter signal that is carefully impedance matched for driving a 75 ohm coax. Everything on the PCB is impedance controlled (both outputs) to radically cut down on reflections. The I2S output uses an LVDS transmitter that has an order of magnitude lower jitter than what is found in other LVDS I2S outputs. This is critical for I2S since the master clock is sent over the interface. All this is supplied by a highly optimized power network on the board which in conjunction with the main power supply in the chassis produces very low noise to each part, letting them achieve the low jitter performance they are capable of. None of this changes the functionality, it just produces extremely low noise, extremely low jitter outputs. I also consult for Simple Design/Sonore. John S.

And finally, please check out this review here where the SSR is put up against the highly regarded Aurender N100H with the SSR coming out on top for sound quality. With the conclusions stating:

I love, love, love the idea of getting my MacBook out of my hi-fi. The Sonore Signature Series Rendu offers up as good a case for doing so as I’ve encountered so far.

Review:

Pictures:

What software version does your Rendu run? Is it Roon compatable?

This Rendu does not run on Sonore’s SonicOrbiter operating system. They went with a higher end audio decoding/rendering device from the Swiss company Engineered Electronics. This Signature Rendu is using the latest v1.52 firmware. Roon is supported as long as you own a microRendu too. The microRendu acts as the Roon Ready device and essentially tricks Roon into sending the audio to the Signature Rendu instead of the microRendu. This is pretty clever on Sonore’s part if you ask me. You can find more info on how it works here: