Fun in 5.1 & Now 7.4.4

Even at 48/24, this is an incredible 5.1 remix from 2000. DSD output on my L & R via the DS Sr., native PCM on the C, LS, & RS+ SW.

2 Likes

Are you using 3 x DS Snrs to output 5.1? Great album.

1 Like

Only if I win the Lottery Steve :joy:

The Sony STR-DN1080’s built DSD DAC (and the one inside my UBP-X1000) are lackluster when it comes to both PCM & DSD when compared to either the SGCD (which I traded in) or specifically, the DS Sr.

The Ultimate would be a Perfect Wave Transport (only in the used market sadly) and pipe the L/R I2S to a DS Sr, the Ctr/Sub I2S to a DS Jr., and send the RS/LS I2S to another DS Jr. I believe there is a PSA Forum who has this Dream Setup.

Cheers,
Joe

3 Likes

That would sound awesome! Are there any issues with channel delays? I use an Emotiva XMC-1 with my main system for AV duties, it sounds pretty good. Not tried using the DSD for FR/FL as main sound comes from centre channel in most movies.

Absolutely no delay issues. When the DS Sr. decodes 5.1 PCM (24/96) or Dolby TrueHD (due to copy protection, the DS Sr. Downconverts to 48/16). It only plays back the front L/R channels via Ethernet between my HTPC/Music Server, Sony STR-1080N, and my Sony UBP-X1000ES. The Sony has the “hacked by me” true Balanced XLR outputs. Only the C/RS/LS XLR’s are connected to amps/MiniDSP’s with Volume Control Enabled. The FR/FL are not XLR connected but S/PDIF (Coax), USB, and one day I2S inputs are connected to the DS Sr. And then direct connected to my FL/FR amps using the DS Sr’s Volume Control as a “Preamp”.

When I have time, I’ll upload a diagram because reading what I just posted looks a bit confusing.

Oh…one more thing. All DTS HD-MA BluRay Audio discs that are ripped with MakeMKV, can now be imported into Foobar2000. With the latest Foobar DTS Decoder file, you can now export those files into lossless (uncompressed) PCM 96/24 files.

2 Likes

It’s a Genesis night (and it’s almost 1:00am - time for bed - not lunch) :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Followed by some Lamb (because it’s late and I really do have to get “some” sleep).

1 Like

Me…I’m just a lawn mower. You can tell me by the way I walk.

1 Like

The Moodies in 5.1 sadly not SACD ($$$$) but the underachieving DTS 96/24 mix that I’ve converted to 96/24 PCM so that the DS Sr. will playback the L & R channels.

1 Like

Another hard to find one. Earlier BluRay’s always had a PCM 5.1 96/24 track. Why they stopped this is beyond me. The DS Sr.handles L & R while my AVR takes care of C, LS, & RS. If I’m in the two channel mood, I can switch to the PCM 2.0 96/24 mode.

1 Like

5.1 96/24 quite inventive by Giles Martin

2 Likes

Elliot Scheiner brilliant remaster & 5.1 remix.

1 Like

Pink Floyd SACD’s in 5.1.

If you have a system with good bass, the intro to the song Welcome To The Machine on the Wish You Were Here disc can be quite the experience.

DSOM

2 Likes

No argument from me. Just the Neighbor’s maybe :joy: (we are hoping to get out of out Apartment this year).

The mix is kind of gimmicky being an early surround music issue. Indulgent reverb and some silly instrument placement but super fun!

1 Like

I have Emerson, Lake, & Palmer’s Brain Salad Surgery from 2000. It was one of the first official DVD-Audio Disc’s released that year.- bought it just after the release date ! Prog Rock is the best for 5.1 Gimmickery ! But yeah , certain Bands music should be left alone in 2.0.

It’s a Tricky morning today. 5.1 DTS 96/24 converted to PCM 96/24.

A Trick Of The Tail DTS 96_24

2 Likes

And now…

The intro to (I Know What I Like) In Your Wardrobe is eery as it starts in the Surrounds and the music begins across the front 3 Speakers, while the sound effects continue in the Surrounds.

2 Likes

5.1 is a nice warm mix by Elliot Scheiner.

3 Likes

Followed by Tusk in 5.1

2 Likes