Fuse issues when using BHK pre amp with P-10 Power plant

• I've had issues with fuses for BHK pre amp blowing when using with P-10 power plant vs Audience aR12 power conditioner. I've had pre amp fuse blow 5 times using zone 1 or 2 with P-10 at 2nd home media room. Last time there tried with my Audience aR2 after the fuse blew again on P-10. No issues with the Audience. Is there a recommended P-10 setting or something I'm missing when attaching to BHK pre amp? Have not had fuse issues with P-10 and my other PS Audio equipment , DS DAc, Memory player etc. I've checked with your tech support to make sure I'm using right fuse sizes. I use Synergistic Research Black fuses for almost all my equipment including my other PS Audio equipment. I've also had another brand fuse blow other than the SR Black.

The only time I blew a fuse on my BHK Pre was when I plugged it in with the back switch (accidentally) turned on. There’s a label on the back saying not to do that but when messing about with the Pre in a somewhat tight space I’ve found it easy to accidentally toggle the switch. What are you doing when it blows? If you leave the Pre switched on at the back and use the P-10 to turn it off and on you might try switching the Pre off at the back panel and turning it on after the P10 powers up. (I’ve turned my P10 off and back on a few times from the front panel (not the back–that might also make a difference) without blowing any fuses so I don’t have any reason to expect it to work but it might be worth a try.)

dnelson0929 said
    • I've had issues with fuses for BHK pre amp blowing when using with P-10 power plant vs Audience aR12 power conditioner. I've had pre amp fuse blow 5 times using zone 1 or 2 with P-10 at 2nd home media room. Last time there tried with my Audience aR2 after the fuse blew again on P-10. No issues with the Audience. Is there a recommended P-10 setting or something I'm missing when attaching to BHK pre amp? Have not had fuse issues with P-10 and my other PS Audio equipment , DS DAc, Memory player etc. I've checked with your tech support to make sure I'm using right fuse sizes. I use Synergistic Research Black fuses for almost all my equipment including my other PS Audio equipment. I've also had another brand fuse blow other than the SR Black.
HI dnelson0929,

Thanks for reaching out to us about this and sorry to hear that you are having this issue.

It is important that you do not have the power switch in the on position when applying power to the BHK Pre. As well it is important that you use the proper fuse value.

For 120 VOlt units use 2amp 5x20mm 250v Slowblow fuse

For 240 Volt units use 1.6amp 5x20mm 250v Slowblow fuse

If you continue to have these issues please reach out to us at service@psaudio.com

We’ll be happy to assist you.

THanks,

• Jeremy

Bummer. I’ve had this happen twice now or maybe 3 times, only with the BHK pre. Guess I won’t power it on with the P10 anymore.

I learned that it’s simple: don’t do anything to the pre without first turning it off. It’s like: “Doc it hurts when I do this”. “So don’t do that”.
Blue fuses really do sound better but they’re expensive, so turn it off first.

I agree, but when asked directly regarding the ability to power off and on via the P10, I got a direct answer that yes it was designed to do this and cause no harm.

That said, I’ll use the toggle from now on. I toasted a SR Black (used so not too bad) and a Padis that I liked better but it was only $35…will probably get another. The stock fuse is a bit less revealing but not so terrible I won’t use it. :wink:

This has something to do with the P-10 in my opinion. Never happens with other Power sources I use.

I have 2 media rooms and have used the P-10 in both. I have Audience and Furman high end power conditioners in addition to P-10. The Pre is not only device that blew fuses when powered by P-10; also happened to PS Mono 300s, Theta Dreadnaught and Sim Audio amps. Happened much more often with the PS Audio Pre Amp.

I reviewed owners manuals of all pieces and spoke to someone at PS Audio on phone about set ups, confirmed fuse ratings and power on sequences. I follow all and have never powered anything off or on via P-10. I always let the amps power stabilize before turning on Pre Amp.

Very much a mystery and blew several SR Blacks in addition to other fuses.

Yeah, I’ve deleted my schedule via P10 power down and up and will use the toggles from now on when I won’t be listening for a few days or more.

Cheers to @JeremyBe for flipping me a couple spares fuses!

happy to help!!