GigaFOIL Ethernet Filter Has Launched

Nice! She looks great. I am anxiously awaiting the LPS verdict. Definitely something I am considering.

1 Like

Have you considered placing some type of isolation material between the GigaFOIL and the mounting plate? Like maybe a Herbie’s Grungebuster sheet or discs?

1 Like

@JeffofArabica - yeah, @Baldy said his LPS he added to the Giga FOIL filter was another improvement; can’t wait to see the difference adding the Sbooster MKII w/ Ultra MKII LPS. Swapping out my home made CAT7 cable with the AQVOX CAT7 was like… damn… that fits nice… got to take a pic for Jeff to take credit for the plan’s execution… :slight_smile:

@JeffofArabica - yeah, a good point. The paint does the trick electrically. I have the Grungebuster disks under my subs that will be replaced this weekend when I add the SVS isolation feet w/ spacer. Yeah, easy enough to add (4) pads as I replace the zip ties… Better yet, I just removed the Herbie’s isolation pads under my components and added the Isoacoustic Bronze pucks. Yeah, got to think of the straps now. It looks like I will be adding a strip of foam where the zip ties constrain the Giga FOIL filter box. Thanks for pushing that button. This stuff is so much fun and luvs me my shinny little boxes…

Richard:

I think I am going to put some Herbie’s Giant Fat Gliders under the SVS feet to get closer to the OEM footer’s height of my REL.

The spacer idea does not work for me/can’t get my head around them logically – seems like they would be introducing a lightweight component with no dissipation or anti-vibration characteristics that does not really snug up to the bottom of the subwoofer or the SVS feet. My theory is that they would defeat any benefit that the SVS footers might provide.

The SVS footers are firmly attached to the same surface as the original REL feet, but might be a touch shorter. The Giant Fat Glider might just do the trick in making up the difference.

I will get out the measuring tape back at the house and see how close the SVS feet plus the gliders come to the height of the REL feet.

FWIW/food for thought,

Scott

Giant Fat Glider

Scott,
That looks like a better approach, thanks. The glider is the same height as spacer (5/8") 0.625". Yeah, have to think that through on the spacer. However, your approach I think will be better. I think an email to REL about launch height may save us from a spacer on either end. Also, assume the 2.36in diameter is the smaller diameter on the Glider?

You know what, I’m going to install the SVS isolation on the REL(s) this weekend and sit them 0.4in lower (2.0in to 1.6in) in height and see if that makes an SQ difference. I can always add the Gliders after the fact. I think it is a better approach. I assume REL will tell you the optimum launch distance is the feet height; however, 1.6in may be enough to develop the wave front… I don’t know… that distance may be established by knowing the longest physical movement of their passive radiators for all of their subs and they use 2in feet as a safe margin… I don’t know… :frowning:

Make sense?

10-4. Did not expect the glider to be same height of the spacer you were looking at – Serendipity…!

Cheers.

1 Like

Scott - Yeah, I thought that was so cool. I am not a sub expert and distance launching wave front I figured 2in was a compromise between the developed wave front and safe distance bottoming out the woofer and or passive radiator.

You did not answer the carpet question?

I don’t have any experience with subwoofers on surfaces OTHER than carpeting. So, I can’t offer an opinion in that regard.

Sorry.

I would ask John Hunter and if the answer is not a good play… then I’d look at an optimal surface since you can create it with wood… I don’t know, I am curious… Have you tested it on a wood/tile floor? Yeah, that is an area I have only used them with a wood floor…

Just sent Justin (REL) and email on carpet and sub height…

@JeffofArabica - just ordered (4) 6in long, 2in wide, isolation strips 0.125in thick. Going to locate them between the zip tie and Giga FOIL filter box. Using my Herbie’s Fat Dots between the Giga FOIL filter box and filter box mounting plate. That should do a better job helping decrease mechanical vibration translated from component rack to Giga FOIL filter box, through mounting plate and zip ties.

1 Like

I have mine on top of a Shakti stone!

Fantastic! I think that will add that nice finishing touch to the nifty mounting system you created.

It’s funny. I was using a lot of Herbie’s isolation products too until I recently bought about 50 IsoAcoustics pucks to replace them all. My two main speakers are each a stack of five individual transmission line enclosures that I can adjust for time alignment. I used 15 pucks for each speaker stack to reduce resonances between the modules. What an amazing difference! I did one speaker at a time and was just amazed comparing one speaker with the pucks to the other without - when it came to felt vibrations from the bass module all the way up to the super tweeter module.

Now I repurpose a lot of the Dots and Grungebusters for these types of tasks.

1 Like

@JeffofArabica - as you know I’m constraining the filter to a plate. I’d use one Isoacoustic puck if I laid it on the DAC or a surface, could have went that route; however, I wanted to get the filter output as close to the DS DAC Bridge II as I could get it and there was limited shelf area in the back of my rack… I could have used a 6in cable if AQVOX made one the way this mounting worked out… :slight_smile:

Love Herbie’s stuff, looks like you had the same idea on getting rid of the dots… and going Bronze pucks. If my rack had enough height above the P20, I would have placed (4) Bordeaux pucks under the P20. After I get the electric (single 10/2 romex) done, looking to straighten out the cable runs…

I’ll let you know about the SVS isolation feet on the REL subs this weekend. That should be an easy modification.

Scott - just heard back from Justin (REL). Carpet (cut-pile) OK and 1.6in from floor (SVS isolation feet), no issue so we are good to go. Looks like I’m setting the SVS isolation feet up just as you set it up. :slight_smile:

Here are a couple of pictures with the Giant Fat Gliders under the SVS footers. Going to run with this for a while. This puts the driver at the OEM height/distance from the floor and makes it really easy to tweak the sub’s positioning.

Regards.

Scott - very cool, thanks for sharing. REL said no issue on the height and carpet.

Hello. I just ordered the Pink Faun LAN Isolator from Jord at Pink Faun. I was wondering if you have any recommendations for optimum placement or other tips. I already have a TP-Link optical Isolation set up in the signal path (upstream of a switch feeding my DS Sr. DAC w/Bridge II) and I was thinking about putting the Pink Faun kit between the switch and the DAC/Bridge, between the internet feed and the router or experimenting with replacing the TP-Links with the Pink Faun LAN Isolator.

Thanks in advance for anything you to care to share.

Regards.

The optimum placement of the PF LAN isolator depends on the setup used, it’s a small plug & play piece of kit which makes it very easy to experiment in order to get best results.

I’m using the Melco N1ZS10 network player (with its own build-in dedicated ethernet purifier) and tried the PF direct on the BridgeII ethernet input, Melco’s ethernet input and its player port output using AQ Diamond RJ/E and found Melco’s input as optimum in my setup.

Because Melco’s USB output (AQ Diamond USB -> Matrix X-SPDIF 2 -> AQ Mocha HDMI) outperforms BridgeII by miles i meanwhile removed BridgeII, so currently Melco’s ethernet input is the only logical place to use the PF.

Congrats on your purchase and just have fun while experimenting :wink:

Thanks for the response.

It seems like I should start at the input to the Bridge, and go from there.

Cheers.

Scott

PS

Were you ever tempted to deploy two of these at different points in the signal chain?

SEE