Gramophone Orchestra of the Year

For those in the Twin Cities:

3 Likes

The very first classical LP I owned, maybe 50 years ago, was a suite from Swan Lake performed by the Minnesota Orchestra. Good for them - getting a third of the votes is pretty amazing.

2 Likes

Winners of early music, concerto and chamber. Recommended all of these, the latter two have to be purchased. All worth the money.

Screenshot 2021-10-06 at 22.35.26

Screenshot 2021-10-06 at 22.36.38

Screenshot 2021-10-06 at 22.37.44

2 Likes

Congratulations! Any recommendations for recent performances that showcase this fine Orchestra? Especially with strong trumpet performance.

Maybe these?

2 Likes

3 Likes

The piano concertos look interesting as well, thanks for suggesting them.

1 Like

Let me know what you think

Just ordered the Sibelius and Beethoven Symphonies, so the concertos will wait for now. I should add they are now on my wish list. :wink:

Both are impressive.

1 Like

Thanks, means a lot, :wink: My hunch is the Concertos are exceptional.

I went to a concert with Osmo Vanska and Yevgeny Sudbin, Reykjavik in March 2017. Icelandic Symphony Orchestra. YS played Mozart no 23 and then we had Beethoven symphony 7 and Kalevi Aho’s Minea. It was a fine concert in a great concert hall. YS is a fine pianist, I’ve heard him at a few recitals at Wigmore Hall, I recall the Romeo & Juliet transcriptions and Scriabin, Scarlatti and his own transcription of Mozart’s Lacrimosa. He has an amazing house about 10 minutes from here.