HDMI De-embedder

Has anyone had success with an HDMI de-embedder and the DirectStream DAC? I’d especially like to get the hi-res audio out from Blu-ray discs that do not play or play well in the DirectStream Memory Player; I’d like to bypass the copyright restrictions keeping the output to 24/16. Thanks in advance.

lonson said

Has anyone had success with an HDMI de-embedder and the DirectStream DAC? I’d especially like to get the hi-res audio out from Blu-ray discs that do not play or play well in the DirectStream Memory Player; I’d like to bypass the copyright restrictions keeping the output to 24/16. Thanks in advance.

Some deembedders don't work reliably because they produce invalid S/PDIF bit streams - they produce bit streams that look like channel 1, next channel, channel 1, next channel instead of channel 1, channel 2, channel 1, channel 2, ... There are three flags for aligning channels (usually called, X, Y, and Z.) A common deembedder chip produces illegal flag combinations and any deembedder that uses that chip won't work with the DS. They will work with many DACs that expect a multichannel S/PDIF signal, but not some systems that only expect a stereo signal or that follow the S/PDIF spec closely... Truth be told I keep forgetting to see if there's an easy fix - on the other hand helping people violate the DMCA isn't in our best interest...

Thanks Ted. Just want to see if getting a higher resolution data into the DSD will yield better sound. It’s disappointing that the DMP won’t play more Blu-ray Audio discs than it does, and I want to find a way to get better sound for these discs.

Thanks.

In a box, as yet untried (eBay purchase a while ago) I’ve a Meridian HD621. I know nothing about the chip inside but when I give it a go I’ll try to remember to post something here if it works with my DS Jnr. I can probably open it to read the printing on the chips too. (There won’t be a warranty issue.)

[Peter, please use “Add Reply” instead of quote. Quote only if absolutely necessary for context, quote only once, and trim the quote to include only that which is necessary. Your posts are gigantic with multiple quotes of the same material, and typically including nested quotes. ]

Thanks Peter!

I tried a de-embedder with my Oppo 83se hoping to get the higher resolution off of SACD, [before I understood the handshake] and DVD-A & V.

Almost every disc was down sampled due to the lack of some kind of handshake, I gave up, was better off taking the coax digital straight from the Oppo. At the time I was using the Benchmark Dac2 which does DSD, that is now in the bedroom, my Lindemann only does PCM, but it does it very well. With the PWT feeding the Lindemann the CD layer sounds better than the SACD layer through the Oppo, and the 83se had the upgraded analog stereo outputs.

The de-embedder was not very expensive, so I boxed it up, and put it on the shelf. If you have a later Oppo there is a way to get the DSD onto a computer file. But your problem is Blu-ray, have you done a search, maybe there is a way to get the hi-rez onto flash drive as files?

Thanks. I don’t do computer audio, no files and flash drive etc. I really would like to get the audio from some Blu-ray discs that won’t play in the DMP etc. The attraction is the cheapness and ease of use of many de-embedders, but I’m not sure I can do what I’d like with the DSD.

The sound via coaxial or optical out from my Blu-ray player is great when processed by the DSD. . . but it seems if I could use the non-downsampled out it would be better. Maybe not.

Hi lonson,

Take a look at this thread around post 6 onward, I did find a solution that works reliably well and does not downsample.

Let me know if you have any questions.

• Veneet

Thanks V, I’ll look into it.

@lonson Hi not the right thread for this but just catching you here for your opinion on the Analogue Production SACD’s of Joe Henderson’s “Page One” and Hank Mobley’s “No Room For Squares” (as you are the resident Blue Note reissue expert here).

How do you rate them? I have the RVG’s and the HD Tracks 24 192 downloads. Any thoughts on how the AP’s compare?

Thanks

Sorry Mike, missed this thread. I like both of those SACDs though to be honest I also really like the Japanese SHM-CD releases of these titles as well. I bet you would like the SACDs.