HDMI/I2S Cables: Difference between I2S-12 and I2S-10?

Anyone recall the difference between the I2S-12 and I2S-10 cables? Construction, suppliers, sound, year of inclusion? I’m asking because I’ve been looking for a couple of I2S-12’s and someone replied that they have a 10. Thanks,

It’s possible that there is NOS inventory. My first inclination is to scepticism. There are a lot of fakes out there.

The “someone” about the 10 is an authorized dealer. My understanding is that the I2S cables supplied went through different names, if not different iterations. I prefer the 12 over the current model, but in my search a dealer mentioned having a 10 still around, so want to find out more background.

I should read more carefully. I thought that the comment was that the dealer had “10” not that it was an I2S-10 cable. I’ll go stand in the corner for a few minutes.

No problem. Here’s what the dealer just replied (he’s using the 10 in a reference system):
“My recollection is that both 10 and 12 cables were available at the same time from PSA. The 12 was a few hundred dollars more based upon a difference in the internal wire (maybe solid silver vs. silver coated or gauge difference?) I remember having both in stock at the same time and had a tough time hearing the difference (maybe they were the same after all!).”

I asked Kevin in sales, but it was before his time.

The 10 had silver plated copper, and the 12 silver wire. I have both and with the PWT and the DMP I can hear differences. The 10 is a bit warmer. Both are great cables.

The 10 exhibits a burnished cuprous warmth, with a silvery sheen.

Ha! Not exactly how i would describe it. I find it hard to describe these things. . . the 12 sound a bit “faster” than the 10 is the best way for me to describe it.

I enjoy how most describe silver cables as “bright;” copper, darker and warmer.

I’ve had silver cables from Siltech (my current primary cables) Lavricables (currently my headphone cable) and DH Labs. Two things, not all silver is bright. The metallurgy, geometry, dielectric and shielding have a strong influence. The other is time. The longer these cables are used under load the better they will sound. Many bright cables calm down and sound much better after some time.

Yes, there is far more to it than just the metal characteristics. What a wild thing that something as supposedly simple as an interconnect can present so many varying “sounds.”