Hey, healthcare workers... Thanks. No, really. Thank you

Thanks so much for all you do!! You are awesome.

3 Likes

:hugs: Hugs to you and your wife. :hugs:

3 Likes

Many thanks to you both! Hopefully you will not have to keep up this ridiculous pace for another year.

2 Likes

Heartfelt thanks to all the healthcare workers for all that they do and endure in these times!

3 Likes

I have been married to a smart rn for 43 years.
I know the feeling. My wife retired in late 2019 and for nearly a year has been volunteering her time giving Covid vaccines in a rural area. There is a saying I like to use: you can take nursing out of someone, but you can’t take a nurse out of nursing.
Happy New Year !!

9 Likes

Even before Covid, the practice of medicine has been a total stressorama and burnout fest. Responsible practitioners feel no choice but to self-sacrifice in order to meet the exogenous, escalating demands of patient care. Remember the I Love Lucy episode where she takes a job decorating cakes that present themselves relentlessly on a conveyor belt, frantically trying to keep up lest the cakes fall on the floor? That. As colleagues burnout, the workload only increases. Nothing is worse in that scenario than an ungrateful patient. I can’t imagine the inner struggle for clinicians doing their best to care for patients who have refused responsible vaccination.

3 Likes

Indeed. An emotionally- and morally-corrosive dilemma, where the one you’re driven to care for inflicts, concretely and symbolically, denigration and harm on you. At the core, it is a profound betrayal to the fundamental basis of any caring relationship, therefore tends to have painfully lasting effects to one’s character, identity, and core values.
I am deeply concerned about the chronic traumatizing effects this will have on many of our medical and psychological professionals, when treating patients as well as in their personal lives as lovers, parents, and friends.

3 Likes

Such a brilliant thread, thank you for raising it.

And I completely agree, the healthcare workers I know are so utterly selfless, despite the troubles and danger they face on a daily basis, they are PASSIONATE about getting to work and seeing people get better.

These people are rare gems.

My sincere thanks to all!

5 Likes

Amen! Currently in ER with my retired RN wife who took a tumble down the stairs. Place is packed and all doing amazing job! Nurse really loved “Amazing Nurse” post Weedeewop.

5 Likes

Sorry to hear about your wife’s tumble - I hope she is OK!

2 Likes

Thanks Dave. She is doing well. Two surgeries - neck fusion and kneecap repositioning - and she is scheduled to go to inpatient rehab tomorrow. Absolutely amazing how things are being done in the face of a covid hospital emergency.

Ortho surgeon said he used a couple of cables. I forgot to ask if they were RCA or XLR. Guess I’ll wait and see how the kneecap sounds!

5 Likes

Wow. I hope her healing and PT go well.

1 Like