Holo Audio: one of the best dacs ever? J Atkinson, H Reichert, S Deckert, M Lavorgna, GoldenSound, D Abramson and the Stereophile reviewers think so. Stereophile A+ and POY 2020

All I can attest to is the Serene is the BEST Pre I have ever owned.
I guess the BHK pre was pretty good an debated ALL my previous Pre’s, but the Serene bested the BHK in my rig.

1 Like

Interesting. I’ve actually never heard of an audiophile switch. I’m curious what changed sonically?

Yes I use an Aries G2 with the May and it is absolutely fantastic. Not one complaint. Good thing about the Aries G2 is that the designer specified it works better over WiFi than over Ethernet, so one less cable to buy. It doesn’t support DSD1024 so that might be an issue if you have such high resolution files.

4 Likes

Congrats! You’ll love it!

2 Likes

I hope so. I have yet to actually hear one but I have a few friends, whose ears I trust, that have the May and they say I will love it. A NOS DAC makes sense for me considering how much I like what HQPlayer does with music. In a few months I’ll have a good idea!

1 Like

Yeah I was in the same boat. I bought it without having heard it. I had to rely on the measurements and word of mouth of different users. It definitely is something special.

1 Like

Goblue, this review is spot on:
https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/innuos4/

That’s what I hear. It’s a bit like going from an out of focus black and white photo to a focused color photo. Better sense of venue, more air, transparency, bigger soundstage, strings are more relaxed, more and better bass. With the lower distortion, it sounds louder although the level is unchanged.

My streaming was behind my PST, now it’s ahead.

However, let’s not exaggerate, it’s not better than upgrading a component. But Innuos is onto something, for sure … This is my first Innuos product. It’s staying chez Phil. I am buying the review sample. No reviewer accommodation price, unfortunately.

1 Like

Thanks I’ll check out the link. I’m currently using WiFi with my streamer but this is very interesting.

1 Like

Brett (or anyone else that knows),

What streamer are you using that supports I2S direct to the May?

I use the Matrix between my Lumin U1 and the May.
There is a thread somewhere about streamers with an I2S output.
Hope this helps.

I have a Matrix and the manual says it does not support 1.536Mhz PCM (768kHz is the max PCM rate). @brett66 is using some small computer that supports I2s at that rate. I am trying to find out what that computer is…

IIRC, Brett has posted a diagram of his system in this thread, or somewhere else on this forum. The info you are looking for may be on that diagram. Good luck.
Edit: tons of info about HQP and the May on a huge thread on Audiophile Style, or you could post a question there, perhaps.

More than likely a DDC other than the Matrix ( I don’t recall any that can handle 1.4/1.5 PCM ) or an NAA end point with I2S out.

I currently use an MeLE computer stick as HQPlayer NAA for 1.4/1.5 MHz PCM. ( through USB )
Possibly a Fitlet2 or UP Board configured as NAA with I2S output, not a lot of traction for I2S with HQPlayer.

FYI, if you have ordered a new Level 2 or KTE May, it will more than likely have the latest USB input card which appears to accept any USB output at 1.4/1.5 MHz ( not just Intel USB as originally )

For those of us who have the original USB card, the cost will be $100 and the return of your old USB card.
If your May is 3 - 4 months old, the upgrade might be free, but I am not 100% clear on this.

1 Like

No, it’s not another DDC. It’s a small SBC with the HQPlayer NAA running on it and it has I2s.

Yes, the May I have on order will come with the new USB card. I want to test both USB and I2S. I actually am hopeful that USB sounds just as good as I2S so I can use my ultraRendu alone and not have to worry about a DDC or I2S.

1 Like

Forgive my ignorance but are you referring to when you mention “DDC”

DDC = Digital to Digital Converter

It converts one digital format to another. For example, USB to I2S.

speed-racer

The Mano Ultra streamer sold by Magna HiFi, who is the EU Holo distributor, is I2S compatible with the May. Supposed to be built for them by Audio-GD.

From my past experience with the ultraRendu, having an EtherREGEN ahead of it will bring out its best performance. ( and a 10MHz clock will take it up another notch )

The KTE May USB input is the best I have ever experienced, you will have to decide for yourself.
I made better SQ improvements on the Ethernet/Fiber Optic input end than what I could achieve on the USB output side.

My KTE has the first gen USB card and it is not compatible with my Signature Rendu SE USB output for 1.4/1.5 MHz PCM.
Hence the MeLE computer stick as NAA for 1.4/1.5 MHz PCM.

I am patiently waiting for Tim to get back to me so that I can order the 2nd gen USB card, it appears that it will then be compatible with the Signature Rendu SE.
While Sonore does not officially state that their renderers support 1.4/1.5 MHz PCM, it appears that they do. ( reference the Audiophile Style article Taking the Terminator to 11 )

1 Like

So this additional component is needed when you stream in order to be able to use a HDMI cable to carry the signal to a Dac ?

The Mano has never been an option. The I2S is limited DSD64 and 192kHz PCM. That is crazy….

1 Like