Holo Audio: one of the best dacs ever? J Atkinson, H Reichert, S Deckert, M Lavorgna, GoldenSound, D Abramson and the Stereophile reviewers think so. Stereophile A+ and POY 2020

In these postings, usually I fawn over components and cables, but I really like the speaker cabinets; they are gorgeous.
Now, I will spend time ogling the al rest…

1 Like

I only know the models of the 2 CH precision and the speakers. The rest wasn’t used for this demo.

Shall we open a little identify the components’ game?

I have been a customer of Chris (Brasschaet) and Sammy (Antwerp) for 6 years now.
Good indeed to meet (virtually) a belgian compatriot. We may be the only two on this forum …

1 Like

Oversampling before the dac:

I was intrigued when I perused the 1800 posts May thread on Audiophile Style. A lot of them are about HQP and how it improves the May.

My system would have to be completely redesigned to use HQP, so that was out. But I use Roon, so I tried over sampling in Roon.

I didn’t try very long, and only a few combinations: up sampling to 700+ PCM, DSD 512.

Results were underwhelming : it sounded kind of processed and unnatural compared to simply feeding bit perfect.

I am curious about your experience, with Holo or other dacs. We learn and help each other by sharing.

Roon is terrible at upsampling compared to HQPlayer……

1 Like

Why? I don’t doubt what you say, I am just trying to understand.

Better filters, modulators, dithers…more options, better math…etc.

1 Like

And the sound? What are the biggest differences compared to w/o HQP?

Quite a few people on the Audiophile Style thread like the natural sound better, without over sampling and pre and post ringing artifacts. Unnecessary and unnatural processing ?

I am not a fan of the NOS sound. There is a reason that Ted upsamples PCM and DSD and it’s not just because he can…

2 Likes

Thank you @speed-racer for sharing your experience.
Has anyone else on this forum tried over sampling before his/her dac?

Interesting.
I am going to try it tomorrow.
What do you recommend ?
Over sampling to PCM or DSD?
What frequency ? What other parameters? Remember I am limited by Roon, unfortunately, …
Would love to try HQP, but not possible in my rig without a complete architectural change …

Hi Kim, how is it going with the burn in ?

By the way, Brett was right, it continues to improve even after 500 hours, a bit like the DS. I don’t know why, but it’s very noticeable.

1 Like

Phil, I’ve had my May DAC for 15 days now so it’s been burning-in non-stop for about 360 hours. It’s been looping burn-in tracks the entire time except when I listen to music every evening. I listen in NOS (non-oversampling) mode almost exclusively. I tried the other OS modes but they sound too “digital” to me. I’ll revisit these other modes after further burn-in.

In the last couple of days I’ve noticed a positive change. The music seems more relaxed, like it’s been holding it’s breath and now just exhaled. I’m really impressed by the amount of detail that I’ve never heard before. The little background nuances are more audible. It’s like listening to the musicians practice before a live take when they’re not concerned with being quiet. I can hear breathing, shuffling of feet, a music stand bump, etc. The soundstage is bigger and placement is more precise. It’s like increasing the spatial bit depth, if that were a thing.

Stereo Width Detail Color Map 01

This picture represents what I mean in the left to right axis. It could also relate to the depth and height as well.

I’ll report back in a couple more weeks. This is really getting fun!

2 Likes

Nice graphic, a good explanation.

A nice demo:

5 Likes

3 Likes

. Repeat after me……. I’ll take two And a relentless preamp.

2 Likes

I know this is an excellent, well-regarded line of equipment. But still every time I see one of the units I think it should be on the Nautilus with Captain Nemo at the controls. :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

Captain Nemo was one of the first to embrace steampunk.

3 Likes