Holo Audio: one of the best dacs ever? J Atkinson, H Reichert, S Deckert, M Lavorgna, GoldenSound, D Abramson and the Stereophile reviewers think so. Stereophile A+ and POY 2020

Yes.

Look at this thread:

Please let us know what you prefer, I2S or USB. For me, itā€™s clearly I2S with the fully loaded Matrix (Farad etc).

Gryphon Essence and Ethos show today at my dealerā€™s.
Was ok, but very 2D wall of sound. What happened to depth ?

MBL, on the other hand, wow ā€¦
And Sonus Faber with McIntosh ā€¦

As great as the Mayā€™s USB measures and how little noise makes it into the analog signal, I am hard pressed to believe that I2S will be better than USB.

Herb eloquently describes the difference between the May DAC and the Mola Mola DAC in his review in the latest issue of Stereophile.

It describes how I felt about listening to the May verses my Gryphon DAC perfectly.

It is not so much negativity when you prefer something better. Itā€™s just truth.

10 Likes

Hey Alā€¦could you please post the specific article linkā€¦
the Stereophile table of contents is not very helpfulā€¦

Thank you Alā€¦

That was an interesting article. It seems like mid-fi is becoming a lot closer to hi-fi as standard components increase in quality for money spent.

3 Likes

Al posted a partial scan of the article (no more please). The latest issue is not yet online.

Gee Elk didnā€™t intend for this to bug anyone, didnā€™t know the issue
was not yet onlineā€¦

Sorry Elk, Al

Best wishes

No problem at all! We just try to be respectful of othersā€™ work product.

I do not know the schedule for adding the reviews to their website, but Stereophile seems to be pretty quick to do so.

2 Likes

The article is a full review of the Mola Mola DAC.
Herb started out reviewing cheap dacs and now he is finding they arenā€™t all that he once thought they were now that he us experiencing the higher priced kit.

2 Likes

John Darko reviewd the Tambaqui in August 2020.

At 2.5x the price, sure hope the Mola Mola DAC is better than the May.

2 Likes

You have a way with words, a way I appreciate. I suppose to a degree we each have our own truth as well.

1 Like

It has moved me to pick-up (as in purchase) a local copy of Stereophile as I no longer subscribe. So thanks to Al. Cheaper than a MolaMola, Bartok, or a Cherry Cola, the later thanks to Lou Reed.

2 Likes

My DAC is five times the price of the May. It sounds like it too.
And somebody is itching to type that price isnā€™t a guarantee of performance so Iā€™ll save you the need to do it by typing price is no guarantee of quality or performance. I get it. But sometimes price includes quality and performance. In this case it definitely is. You guys who think the May is an endgame DAC are missing out. It isnā€™t.

5 Likes

Have you heard an end game DAC? Seems the digital landscape is changing rapidly. Have not heard a dcs Bartok. I understand it is more of an all in one proposition, being a DAC, Pre-amplifier, and headphone amplifier.

1 Like

Endgame DAC for whom? It all depends on budget, doesnā€™t it? $6K is pretty much my budget limit on a DAC. So, the May could very well be an endgame DAC for me and other people that are not willing to spend $10K or more on a DAC.

6 Likes

I own an end game DAC. (The world ends soon right?)

2 Likes

While I understand your point, by this logic every DAC is ā€œend gameā€, including the most modest of all DACs.