Holo Audio: one of the best dacs ever? J Atkinson, H Reichert, S Deckert, M Lavorgna, GoldenSound, D Abramson and the Stereophile reviewers think so. Stereophile A+ and POY 2020

Congratulations @goblue !! Please give us your feedback: best input (I2S in my system), Matrix or not (better with in my case), cables, etc.

We learn by sharing.

With due credit to @bootzilla, welcome !

1 Like

Yeah will do. I don’t have a matrix, so I’ll be using my Aries G2 (usb) as the front end. It seems like everyone raves about the Matrix and I might give on a try. It will be interesting to compare the May against the DSD.

2 Likes

Will be interesting to see if you find that better usb cables make a difference.
Comparing to the DS took me all of 10 minutes. The Holo wiped the floor with it. The DS was a great dac, 6 years ago, and still is, with the latest update, but it’s not in the same league. Ted is very, very good, but Jeff is a genius. Not the same league, I am afraid.

I have both a stock SU-1 and a KTE SU-2. Also had a Matrix before the KTE SU-2. the The SU-1 is good, so is the Matrix, they were very similar. Both plugged into a P10. The KTE SU-2 is remarkably better. There are audiophile words to describe it. But I will stick with remarkable.

KTE path:

Roon Rock (on LPS) → CAT8 → UniFi Switch (Fiber) → UniFi Switch (on Transparent Powerwave) → CAT8 → UltraRendu (on LPS) → USB (WW Platinum) → KTE SU-2 (on P10) → i2s (PSA PW12) → DS (on P10).

Next change in this chain will be to replace the UltraRendu with a Sonore OpticalRendu.

The SU-1 currently sits between a nVidia Shield Pro (USB out) and a Sony TA-ZH1ES for nighttime TV listening. I use the spdif output.

3 Likes

I actually convert everything to 1.4/1.5 MHz PCM, even the few DSD files that I have.
HAF or Home Audio Fidelity filters plugged into HQP matrix pipeline are key to SQ.

My current path;

• HQPE & HAF 1.4/1.5 MHz 20 Bit PCM
  • Streaming Qobuz or Files from external SSD
  • Switch → Ethernet → Sonore opticalModule → Fiber → Small Green Computer sonicTransporter i9 Optical
  • Switch → Ethernet → Sonore opticalModule → Fiber → Sonore opticalModule → Ethernet → MeLE NAA → USB → Intona 3.0 → USB → Holo Audio KTE May
  • Goldpoint SA1X/47 → XLR to Decware ZBIT → RCA to Decware ZSTAGE25 → RCA to Decware
    SE84UFO25 → Avantgarde Duo Omega Horns with Townshend Super Tweeters

The switch is nothing special and is integrated into my ISP modem.
All opticalModules, including the one integrated into the STi9 have their own LPS as does the STi9 and MeLE NAA.

3 Likes

Fantastic!

1 Like

Impressive system.

IIRC, Jussi from HQP recommends DSD 256 on the Audiophile Style thread.

Have you tried that ?

Yes…

1 Like

Interesting that you note: “Ted is very, very good, but Jeff is a genius. Not the same league, I am afraid.”
I’m asking myself who are you that you can do such a statement. Perhaps you can enlighten me in this respect. And maybe sometimes it is a better way to be a more lenient and friendly gentle man.

9 Likes

These types of devices are new to me. Am I correct in that the SU-2 has a similar function to the Matrix. Do they both take usb in and can output i2s?

2 Likes

Yes.

https://www.kitsunehifi.com/product-tag/kte-su2/

1 Like

Ouch!
Based on just listening between products, you make such a harsh statement? An unartful exuberant expression floating out there, awaiting a pull back after a little introspection?
Lets see what Ted comes with in the DS MKII and TSS.

1 Like

I think Phil is simply very(possibly overly) zealous about this Jeff and was short sighted about his statement. I’d think(hope) he is not trying to be hurtful.

2 Likes

I was just enthusiastic. I didn’t mean to be hurtful.
I am sorry.

6 Likes

Don’t worry about it Phil, we all get over zealous from time to time. You forget what forum you are in.
The PS Audio DAC with all it’s upgrade is just about as good as they come and many of the owners could not be happier with it’s performance. I’m sure you can say the same for the May. It’s nice for Ted to have some competition. It will only make him work harder to make his DACs even better. I look forward to try out his MkII and TSS. Meanwhile be happy with what you have and enjoy the music.
And most important, happy cake day!!

5 Likes

Count me in as one of the happy owners. With the addition of the PST and an upgraded HDMI cable, I’m in no hurry to upgrade. Are there better DACs, I’m sure there are, some more expensive, and others can only be had with no trial period, and a warranty that’s not transferable, which makes some of us hesitant to pull the trigger.

3 Likes

At this level it comes down to preference anyway.

2 Likes

What’s fascinating here is R2R DACs were all the rage in the late 1990’s and early 2000’s. Burr Brown’s 20 Bit 1702 and 24 Bit 1704 DACs were in some of the best DACs and/or CD players for nearly 10 years back then. As technology evolved and SACD came on the scene, DACs evolved. Sabre DACs became dominant and then finally FPGA DACs.

Amazingly May, along with Naim, prove the R2R ladder DAC isn’t dead.

Check this out a reference streamer with a BB 1704 R2R DAC. $20k for the streamer and $11k for the required power supply. Never say never.

https://www.naimaudio.com/product/nd-555

1 Like

:clap: :clap: :clap:

1 Like

And apparently you can form an opinion or preference without actually seeing or hearing the May much less owning it. Wish we all had the capability that a few here seem to have to make assessments of products that way. Would probably save some of us a lot of money that we spent to find out for ourselves.

1 Like